A Benefits and Equity charge

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Some restaurants around the country are going to charge their customers an extra 15% "benefits and equity" charge on top of the tip. Hey, it's their business and they can do whatever they want, but I'm thinking this ain't going to help their business any. I can't afford to eat out much, but if I find out a restaurant that's doing this shit, they'll ever see me walking into their establishment. They can pay their employees more and raise their prices to cover it, but this is blatantly giving their customers the middle finger.

On its website, Broders’ has a notice to customers notifying them of a new 15 percent “benefits and equity” charge they’ve instituted. They justify the charge, first, by explaining that “many states have allowed reduced minimum wages for service staff in the form of a tip credit.” (More on this in a minute.)

[Broder's is a restaurant in Minneapolis}

The restaurant’s second justification is that many tippers are racist and sexist, according to uncited research.

“Studies have also shown that there is inequity and built-in bias in the way consumers give tips,” the statement reads. “In general, Black or Brown servers receive less tips than Caucasian servers. There is gender bias as well.”

The final part of the statement says the new policy stems from wider racial injustice and is not a substitute for gratuity.

“In the wake of racial injustice protests and the closures due to Covid, now is the time for Broders’ to reimagine its economics and provide fair pay across the company,” the statement reads. “Our Benefits & Equity Charge is applied entirely to employee compensation. This supplement helps us to set a $16 minimum hourly wage for customer facing employees, $18 minimum hourly wage for kitchen employees… Altogether this allows everyone in our company to earn a real living wage. The 15% Benefits & Equity Charge is not a gratuity.”

Some would say this is called virtue signaling. I call it something else, aside from insulting your customers.

Last edited:
I second this. If a place wants to gain a fair enough clientele, the offered product had better be good and at an affordable price.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back