A 2nd garbage patch: Plastic soup seen in Atlantic

Nice article! Good choice and I like the fact they didn't try and connect it to global warming.

This is the kind of thing that needs attention, Not AGW. This is something that is not based on a theoretical hypothesis backed up by other theories all stemming from the same original premise. This is real world evidence backed up by simply looking at it.

If they wanted to use some tax dollars to assign some ships to salvage this up and clean our own sea lines as the did their regular duties I would be all for it. But they don't, all they want to do is tax us for breathing and pretend its to save the planet.

i watched this article all day in the yahoo news forum and most of the morons were bickering over whether to blame the obamanator or dubya and failed to realize that we, as a species have been dumping our solid waste into the water since we discovered that it was no fun to eat or sleep near where we poop.

there were a few who wanted to blame the navy with backing from a few ex-squids. i thought the navy tightened up on dumping trash so i sent them an inquiry. waiting for reply

as for the tax dollars, show me the request for bids. i'll underbid everybody just for a chance to actually apply my education to something related to it.

Well that would be an environmental investment I would back....

Yeah the navy has had stricter policies since the late 70's. Well depending on who you ask anyway. You ask an officer and he will cite the regulations and measures taken and make you feel all warm and fuzzy. But you ask an average swabby and you will get a different picture.. I am sure its somewhere in the middle in practice. Even if its in the middle its far better than it used to be..

I love doing right by the environment, I just hate when people try and use it to sneak bills, legislation, taxation, and loss of freedoms in on it.

there was one guy backing a liberal retard who said that he served on the abe lincoln and claimed they pitched all the trash every day. oh, and so there's no misunderstanding, i stand ready to bash libs and cons for spouting the party line at the expense of reason.

Last edited:
i watched this article all day in the yahoo news forum and most of the morons were bickering over whether to blame the obamanator or dubya and failed to realize that we, as a species have been dumping our solid waste into the water since we discovered that it was no fun to eat or sleep near where we poop.

there were a few who wanted to blame the navy with backing from a few ex-squids. i thought the navy tightened up on dumping trash so i sent them an inquiry. waiting for reply

as for the tax dollars, show me the request for bids. i'll underbid everybody just for a chance to actually apply my education to something related to it.

Well that would be an environmental investment I would back....

Yeah the navy has had stricter policies since the late 70's. Well depending on who you ask anyway. You ask an officer and he will cite the regulations and measures taken and make you feel all warm and fuzzy. But you ask an average swabby and you will get a different picture.. I am sure its somewhere in the middle in practice. Even if its in the middle its far better than it used to be..

I love doing right by the environment, I just hate when people try and use it to sneak bills, legislation, taxation, and loss of freedoms in on it.

there was one guy backing a liberal retard who said that he served on the abe lincoln and claimed they pitched all the trash every day. oh, and so there's no misunderstanding, i stand ready to bash libs and cons for spouting the party line at the expense of reason.

Amen to that!... We need more people who know how to think instead what to think....

Oh and BTW, until the 70's most of the navy ships did exactly that... used to be especially dangerous to fall over board back then. Not from drowning or the suction from the screws, but sharks and such used to follow the ships and scavenge the garbage.....

Last edited:
okay --- gave it a look over and it appears that i have violated the rule about posting an article in its entirety. i'm not sure that i understand the reasoning for that and it definitely will take a little adjustment on my part for future postings.

i read hundreds of pages daily --- many of them packed with articles and like to deliver ones that i have a personal or fiduciary interest into the appropriate forum for discussion. i usually drop the whole article down with at most a short comment.

pray tell what is the consensus on best practice? just the link? headline and link? the whole article if it is reasonably short like this one?

Typically link, headline and first paragraph or two, just enough to get the bones of the story. You can't post links yet though. It's been a while since Si was under 15 posts. ;)

Now that we're all done playing pretend mod squad, good story. Oh, and we're a little better than Yahoo news. :eusa_whistle:

the board bot wouldn't even let me post the link to the rules page as a quote. i'm pleased to have found this crowd.

as i said when i introduced myself, i've been doing this a long time and sometimes am at a console with nothing to do while programs run and i've always loved playing in social networks that had some redeeming social value (anybody remember monochrome plain text connections?).

Typically link, headline and first paragraph or two, just enough to get the bones of the story. You can't post links yet though. It's been a while since Si was under 15 posts. ;)

Now that we're all done playing pretend mod squad, good story. Oh, and we're a little better than Yahoo news. :eusa_whistle:

the board bot wouldn't even let me post the link to the rules page as a quote. i'm pleased to have found this crowd.

as i said when i introduced myself, i've been doing this a long time and sometimes am at a console with nothing to do while programs run and i've always loved playing in social networks that had some redeeming social value (anybody remember monochrome plain text connections?).

You'll be able to post links once you hit 15 posts. Spammers and all, you know how it goes.

Redeeming social value? Are you sure we're in the same place? Still, ducky had a good point. It's like a race to nowhere, getting out the stuff and junk as fast as possible without thinking about what we're going to do with it. I wonder how this could even be cleaned up if we tried?

You'll be able to post links once you hit 15 posts. Spammers and all, you know how it goes.

Redeeming social value? Are you sure we're in the same place? Still, ducky had a good point. It's like a race to nowhere, getting out the stuff and junk as fast as possible without thinking about what we're going to do with it. I wonder how this could even be cleaned up if we tried?

go hang out at scam.com, the yahoo news forum, motley fool and snopes for a couple of hours and realize that i registered here about six hours ago and have only really given it about an hour of attention. i haven't had any visions of any of you sucking crack pipes or foaming at the mouth. i haven't seen any vicious personal attacks or excessively long rants.

i will have to tread carefully when it comes to computer discussions --- my family are authorized sales and service agents for one of the bigger and less well known hardware manufacturers. i've had my hands inside or on the controls of these boogers since, uh, the early '60's (i started young ---- built a radio from scratch in about 1962 at age 8 for a cub scout project)

one of the main reasons i spend time in these forums is to scout out potential customers.
business really sucks right now and i'd sure appreciate any pointers from y'all on how to approach commerce here (or elsewhere if it's strictly forbidden).

Forum List

Back