95% 0f British Muslims feel Loyalty to Great Britian

I.P.Freely

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Most British Muslims 'oppose Muhammad cartoons reprisals'
Jump media player

Media player help
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31293196
Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
1,000 Muslims were surveyed across Britain from 26 January to 20 February

Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

The majority of British Muslims oppose violence against people who publish images depicting the Prophet Muhammad, a poll for the BBC suggests.
The survey also indicates most have no sympathy with those who want to fight against Western interests.

But 27% of the 1,000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.

Almost 80% said they had found it deeply offensive when images depicting the Prophet were published.

Click
here to get the full survey results.
Continue reading the main story
Poll of British Muslims
95%

feel a loyalty to Britain

93%

say they should obey British laws

ComRes poll for BBC
BBC
Asked if acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet Muhammad can "never be justified", 68% agreed that such violence was never justifiable.

But 24% disagreed with the statement, while the rest replied "don't know" or refused to answer.

The poll, carried out between 26 January and 20 February, suggests 32% of British Muslims were not surprised by January's attacks on the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine, which published depictions of the Prophet, and a kosher supermarket in Paris.

The poll also suggests that almost half of British Muslims believe they face discrimination because of their faith and that Britain is becoming less tolerant, while the same percentage feel prejudice against Islam makes it difficult being a Muslim in the UK.

Some 35% said they felt most British people did not trust Muslims, and a fifth said they thought Western liberal society could never be compatible with Islam.

Of those polled, 95% felt a loyalty to Britain, while 93% believed that Muslims in Britain should always obey British laws.

Nearly 20% of Muslim women questioned said they felt unsafe in Britain, compared with 10% of men.

Analysis

By Sima Kotecha, Today reporter
Islam is a religion of peace and love - not violence: sentiments that have been expressed numerous times here in Bradford.

Out of the dozens of people I've spoken to, an overwhelming majority have said they're angry that their interpretation of Islam has been eclipsed by an extreme ideology that is too often projected in the media.

They say it's this that is fuelling prejudice, and it's leading to some in the community feeling ostracised from British society.

As one young man said: "We're all being branded as extremists in this country. I am British but sometimes it feels as if Britain is rejecting me because of my faith and that hurts."

One thousand Muslims were polled as part of our survey - a number statistically representative of the population of close to three million Muslims in Britain.

'Stop alienation'
A student at Bradford College, Samaia Aslal, told the BBC that politicians and the media perpetuated a dehumanised image of Muslims, which opens them up to all forms of attack.

She said: "It is up to the rest of British society to stop looking at us as some kind of threat, to accept us.

"To not always ask us how British we feel, that's as stupid as asking 'how do you feel about your red hair today?'.

"To ask this whilst alienating us, spying on us, making us feel like we don't fit in."

But another student Mohammed Al Hakaroon said integration was the responsibility of both Muslims and non-Muslims.

Brothers Cherif (L) and Said Kouachi attacked Charlie Hebdo
"There is no Islamic regulation or law that prevents integration. Everyone should be treated as equal: Muslim, white, black, Asian, as the Prophet himself has said."

Musmil Afik, who also studies at Bradford College, said he was angry and frustrated, so he could understand why this drove one in four people to support the attacks in Paris.

He said: " But this is not what Islam is about. Islam is about peace, love and harmony."

Former Foreign Office minister Baroness Warsi said the poll highlighted her view that the government's terrorism policy was not based on enough evidence.

Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme she said: "What is the evidence that shows us how people are being radicalised?

"What is the evidence that shows us the route to someone becoming a terrorist. We just don't have this.

"We don't have definitive data that we work to and that is why I think we get much of our policy wrong."

Twelve people died when an attack was launched on the office of Charlie Hebdo on 7 January.

The following day a policewoman was murdered by Amedy Coulibaly, who also held up a Jewish supermarket the next day, killing four people.

Coulibaly and the two Charlie Hebdo gunmen, Said and Cherif Kouachi, were shot dead by police in two separate sieges.

Jump media player

Media player help
Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Miqdaad Versi of the Muslim Council of Britain says further research is needed

Selection of ComsRes questions

What is your reaction? You can email
[email protected] with your experience. Please include a telephone number if you are willing to be contacted by a BBC journalist.

Or comment here:

Have your say

More on This Story
Related Stories

Related Internet links
BBC News - Most British Muslims oppose Muhammad cartoons reprisals

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is good that 27% of British Muslims sympathize with islamic terrorists? This is something for the liberal press to brag about? Yes, nothing wrong with Muslim immigration when 1 in 4 "British" Muslims is a terrorist sympathizer. I wonder how they square being a terrorist sympathizer with being "loyal to Britain", lol.

So it is good that 27% of British Muslims sympathize with islamic terrorists? This is something for the liberal press to brag about? Yes, nothing wrong with Muslim immigration when 1 in 4 "British" Muslims is a terrorist sympathizer. I wonder how they square being a terrorist sympathizer with being "loyal to Britain", lol.
silly little twerp,
  • If someone I knew from the Muslim community was planning an act of violence I would report them to the police - 94% agree

silly little twerp,

• If someone I knew from the Muslim community was planning an act of violence I would report them to the police - 94% agree
Meaning, not only do 27% of them sympathize with these terrorists(hey I might not agree with your method but I totally understand where your coming from), but over 150,000(that is 6%) of these "British" Muslims would aid and abet terrorist activity? What reason more do you have to shut the door and start booting them?

Mind you, these numbers are no doubt deflated, given some muslims are not as bold and upfront about their anti-British views to report them to the survey takers.

So six per
silly little twerp,

Meaning, not only do 27% of them sympathize with these terrorists(hey I might not agree with your method but I totally understand where your coming from), but over 150,000(that is 6%) of these "British" Muslims would aid and abet terrorist activity? What reason more do you have to shut the door and start booting them?
The usual disingenuous bollocks my little twerp, read the question then read the answer. I have "sympathy" with Sinn Fein but I would report an IRA member in a heart beat ......Kapish Untermensch.

So six per
silly little twerp,

The usual disingenuous bollocks my little twerp, read the question then read the answer. I have "sympathy" with Sinn Fein but I would report an IRA member in a heart beat ......Kapish Untermensch.
Then move to Ireland.

The issue here is, 1 in 4 "British" muslims sympathize with a foreign enemy, thus act as a fifth column. Six percent, hundreds of thousands of "British" Muslims, are willing to aid in abet the very terrorists 1 in 4 Muslims sympathize with.

And this you view as a good thing, that this somehow validates Islamic immigration? What exactly are you smoking?

So six per
silly little twerp,

Then move to Ireland.

The issue here is, 1 in 4 "British" muslims sympathize with a foreign enemy, thus act as a fifth column. Six percent, hundreds of thousands of "British" Muslims, are willing to aid in abet the very terrorists 1 in 4 Muslims sympathize with.

And this you view as a good thing, that this somehow validates Islamic immigration? What exactly are you smoking?
But 27% of the 1,000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.
If someone I knew from the Muslim community was planning an act of violence I would report them to the police - 94% agree
obviously untermensch your reading and perception skill match your lack of forehead

So six per
silly little twerp,

Then move to Ireland.

If someone I knew from the Muslim community was planning an act of violence I would report them to the police - 94% agree
obviously untermensch your reading and perception skill match your lack of forehead
You are just reiterating what I am saying. I am just baffled you think these numbers are a good thing for your side to parade about.

But please, go about doing it, you are only aiding opponents of immigration with pushing these numbers. So please go on.

Seems like you can't beyond your nose on this one, figuratively and literally.
Translation from untermensch is required
Ps is your forehead shrinking?
I have a high forehead, but I doubt it is as "prominent" as your ugly beak of a nose, lol.
yes of course you do my little mono brow untermensch
Does it bother you when your nose gets into your matza ball soup?

Yet 2/3 wants criticism of Islam to be punishable by law and 40 % want Britain to be governed by Sharia Law.

It isn't so much an issue of being loyal to Britain but what kind of Britain they envision being loyal to that is the real problem.

So six per
silly little twerp,

Then move to Ireland.

Untermensch Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain and therefore I am there already. Are you a Slav?

It's interesting how the media distorts polls. For example - look at the titles.

'London-istan': Poll Finds 27% of British Muslims Sympathize With Terrorists

BBC Poll: 27 Percent of British Muslims Sympathize with ‘Charlie Hebdo’ and Paris Deli Jihad Murders
This, from Gellar's website is an outright fabrication. The actual poll, BBC Radio 4 Today Muslim Poll ComRes said nothing what-so-ever about the Deli murders.

27 Percent Of British Muslims Support ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Massacre, BBC Poll Finds

The actual poll is interesting because you can see the actual questions - not the distortions:
http://comres.co.uk/wp-content/uplo...British-Muslims-Poll_FINAL-Tables_Feb2015.pdf

It is deeply offensive to me personally when images of the Prophet Mohammed are published: 78% agree

Organisations which publish images of the Prophet Mohammad deserve to be attacked: 11% agree
Acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet Mohammad can never be justified: 68% agree
I have some sympathy for the motives behind the attacks on Charlie Hebdo in Paris: 27% agree
I understand the motives of those who launch attacks in the name of Islam because the religion has been insulted: 64% disagree

Other interesting bits:
If I could, I would leave Britain to go and live in a Muslim country: 84% disagree
It is appropriate that Muslims who convert to other religions are cut off by their family: 77% disagree
If someone I knew from the Muslim community was planning an act of violence I would report it to the police: 94% say it applies to them
I would rather socialize with Muslims than non-Muslims: 13% say it applies to them

I do think we should always be able to poke fun at religions, any religions. I find humor in a heavenly gift of 72 virgins (or is it raisins); a diety with anger management issues, or maybe it's bi-polar, a prophet who takes instruction from flaming shrubbery, a zombie prophet who claims to be the son of an invisable diety....and I could go on. I think God has a sense of humor (if he didn't why the hell are we here?) - it's just that a lot of his followers are so damn serious.

There is a difference between that though, and some of the darker stuff that easily rouses people to demonize entire groups.

Free speech allows us to poke fun, to say what we feel. It also allows us to combat what we think is wrong or unjust. It's so incredibly valuable and it's always at risk. Just look around the world.

I do agree that all religions should be equally poked at, and frankly that is what Charlie Hebdo did - there were NO sacred cows. Much of it was over the top for my own sensibilities, but I respect and support their right to free speech and we should combat threats of violence that try to stop it. I just don't believe in going out of the way to deliberately encourage going over the top just to offend people. :dunno:

Forum List

Back