83% believe in Global warming

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Climate-denying candidates make more Americans believe in global warming | Grist

According to the latest Reuters/Ipsos poll, 83 percent of people now believe that climate change is happening. That's up from 75 percent last year. What's behind the change? Partly heat, and partly hot air.

Folks historically have a hard time differentiating weather and climate, so it's not a surprise that after a very hot and drought-riddled summer, more people believe in global warming. They're right, of course, but they may be right for the wrong reasons -- i.e. because it's been unusually hot in their locale, not because the climate's getting weird all over. But whatever. If this is a war of public opinion, and sometimes it seems that way, we'll take it.

But there may be a more interesting factor than weather at work. At least one political scientist says that GOP candidates may have helped cause the increase with their increasingly over-the-top blowhard denialism.

You do know we have an environment section, right?

Nobel Prize Winning Physicist Resigns Over ‘Incontrovertible’ Global Warming Evidence

More than a hundred co-signers? To paraphrase Bill Clinton, “It depends on what your definition of ‘consensus’ is…”
Giaever made a couple of good points in his resignation letter:
The claim (how can you measure the average temperature of the whole earth for a whole year?) is that the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8 degree Kelvin in about 150 years, which (if true) means to me is that the temperature has been amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely improved in this ‘warming’ period.

The world according to:
fox+news+sheep.jpg

From the NASA report:

The sun has powered almost everything on Earth since life began, including its climate. The sun also delivers an annual and seasonal impact, changing the character of each hemisphere as Earth's orientation shifts through the year. Since the Industrial Revolution, however, new forces have begun to exert significant influence on Earth's climate.

"For the last 20 to 30 years, we believe greenhouse gases have been the dominant influence on recent climate change," said Robert Cahalan, climatologist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

[...]

Before the Industrial Age, the sun and volcanic eruptions were the major influences on Earth's climate change. Earth warmed and cooled in cycles. Major cool periods were ice ages, with the most recent ending about 11,000 years ago.

"Right now, we are in between major ice ages, in a period that has been called the Holocene," said Cahalan. "Over recent decades, however, we have moved into a human-dominated climate that some have termed the Anthropocene. The major change in Earth's climate is now really dominated by human activity, which has never happened before."

[...]

Unless we find a way to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases we put into the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide from fossil fuel burning, the solar influence is not expected to dominate climate change. But the solar variations are expected to continue to modulate both warming and cooling trends at the level of 0.1 to 0.2 degrees Celsius (0.18 to 0.26 Fahrenheit) over many years. [NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center, 5/7/08]

The world according to:
fox+news+sheep.jpg

From the NASA report:

The sun has powered almost everything on Earth since life began, including its climate. The sun also delivers an annual and seasonal impact, changing the character of each hemisphere as Earth's orientation shifts through the year. Since the Industrial Revolution, however, new forces have begun to exert significant influence on Earth's climate.

"For the last 20 to 30 years, we believe greenhouse gases have been the dominant influence on recent climate change," said Robert Cahalan, climatologist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

[...]

Before the Industrial Age, the sun and volcanic eruptions were the major influences on Earth's climate change. Earth warmed and cooled in cycles. Major cool periods were ice ages, with the most recent ending about 11,000 years ago.

"Right now, we are in between major ice ages, in a period that has been called the Holocene," said Cahalan. "Over recent decades, however, we have moved into a human-dominated climate that some have termed the Anthropocene. The major change in Earth's climate is now really dominated by human activity, which has never happened before."

[...]

Unless we find a way to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases we put into the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide from fossil fuel burning, the solar influence is not expected to dominate climate change. But the solar variations are expected to continue to modulate both warming and cooling trends at the level of 0.1 to 0.2 degrees Celsius (0.18 to 0.26 Fahrenheit) over many years. [NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center, 5/7/08]

In other words? YOU didn't read what I presented. Your material is outdated.

Past studies have shown that sunspot numbers correspond to warming or cooling trends. The twentieth century has featured heightened activity, indicating a warming trend

Solar activity has shown a major spike in the twentieth century, corresponding to global warming. This cyclic variation was acknowledged by a recent NASA study, which reviewed a great deal of past climate data

It isn't MAN doing it. It's that large yellow ORB you wake up to every morning, AND natural factors outside of the activity of man.

How friggen stupid is that title?

Climate DENYING candidate..

Maybe we need Al bore Gore to go on his OWN T.V station to talk us to death about Climate Change (global warming), I'm sure they could get those numbers UP TO 100%..

gorespray.gif

Speaking of Al Bore Gore, he reminds me a lot of Jim Jones.

Insane and Scary all rolled into one. I wonder if his family ever got rid of the zinc mine they owned?

A few questions

1# Do you believe the earth has warmed since 1980?
2# the sea ice has declined
3# co2 has increase since 2000
4# glaciers throughout the world have decline in mass, volume and size?

If you do then I see no reason not to agree with this poll.

Last edited:
According to the latest Reuters/Ipsos poll, 83 percent of people now believe that climate change is happening. That's up from 75 percent last year. What's behind the change? Partly heat, and partly hot air.

Uh, dimbulb.

The Climate is Changing 100% of the time.

There is no such thing as Static Climate.

The world according to:
fox+news+sheep.jpg

From the NASA report:

[...]

[...]

In other words? YOU didn't read what I presented. Your material is outdated.

Past studies have shown that sunspot numbers correspond to warming or cooling trends. The twentieth century has featured heightened activity, indicating a warming trend

Solar activity has shown a major spike in the twentieth century, corresponding to global warming. This cyclic variation was acknowledged by a recent NASA study, which reviewed a great deal of past climate data

It isn't MAN doing it. It's that large yellow ORB you wake up to every morning, AND natural factors outside of the activity of man.

You are a lying sack of shit. My post addresses YOUR linked article from DailyTech.

Lordy, lordy, how you fellows can lie.

Solar activity & climate: is the sun causing global warming?

Until about 1960, measurements by scientists showed that the brightness and warmth of the sun, as seen from the Earth, was increasing. Over the same period temperature measurements of the air and sea showed that the Earth was gradually warming. It was not surprising therefore for most scientists to put two and two together and assume that it was the warming sun that was increasing the temperature of our planet.

However, between the 1960s and the present day the same solar measurements have shown that the energy from the sun is now decreasing. At the same time temperature measurements of the air and sea have shown that the Earth has continued to become warmer and warmer. This proves that it cannot be the sun; something else must be causing the Earth's temperature to rise.

My question for this forum is the people that don't believe in global warming, why is that? I have always been curious as to why they don't believe it and just a list of reasons. It's extremely fascinating to me. Thanks a lot!

--TakePart

My question for this forum is the people that don't believe in global warming, why is that? I have always been curious as to why they don't believe it and just a list of reasons. It's extremely fascinating to me. Thanks a lot!

--TakePart

Myself and most sceptics I know are firm believers in global warming. We just don't "believe" that man has a part in it. And no AGW cultist has ever been able to provide a shred of empirical data to support it. But you allready knew that didn't you olfraud.

From your article:

While the NASA study acknowledged the sun's influence on warming and cooling patterns, it then went badly off the tracks. Ignoring its own evidence, it returned to an argument that man had replaced the sun as the cause current warming patterns. Like many studies, this conclusion was based less on hard data and more on questionable correlations and inaccurate modeling techniques.

They are saying "in the past". But when it comes to the present, apparently they are having trouble agreeing with NASA. Hmmm, I wonder why that is?

Forum List

Back