80% Lowers

ProfessorHawthorne

Mar 22, 2021
Anyone here tinker with these? I have friend who did a 5.56 build a year or so ago and completed a 6061 billet lower using the drill press method. It looked like crap but it worked well - he's still shooting the rifle with no problems.
With the ATF readying new rules, I had thought about picking up a few "blanks". Watching a few Utube videos, it seems the best results come from using a router. It seems there a few jigs out there that are better than others - some for drilling and a couple for a router.

What's your experience been?

Thanks

No experience. I did own a Bushmaster back in the 90's but I'm perfectly happy with my trashcan AK.

Anyone here tinker with these? I have friend who did a 5.56 build a year or so ago and completed a 6061 billet lower using the drill press method. It looked like crap but it worked well - he's still shooting the rifle with no problems.
With the ATF readying new rules, I had thought about picking up a few "blanks". Watching a few Utube videos, it seems the best results come from using a router. It seems there a few jigs out there that are better than others - some for drilling and a couple for a router.

Thanks
I have never messed with 80% lowers, at all, ever. There is no such thing. You are talking about sasquatch. Please shut up before we have a bunch of legislation banning something else.

:beer:

Thanks
I have never messed with 80% lowers, at all, ever. There is no such thing. You are talking about sasquatch. Please shut up before we have a bunch of legislation banning something else.

I think he was referring to shoes, but it's the other way around: The lower soles and heels only account for 20%, the leather uppers are the 80%.

:auiqs.jpg:

Thanks

Sorry, didn't know it was such a touchy subject. In any event, me and a couple of friends decided to invest in one of the 5D Tactical milling jigs. They seem to produce a better finished result. Now those new home CNC machines are becoming available.....

Cheers

Forum List

Back