8 Democrats Join Republicans in Rejecting Sanders’ $15 Minimum Wage Hike Bill

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Bernie Sanders's attempt at overriding the Senate Parliamentarian fails. They needed 60 votes for that and got 42. Good!

Eight Democratic senators joined Republicans in rejecting raising the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour over five years after it was proposed by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.), Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Chris Coons (D-Del.), and Angus King (I-Vt.)—who caucuses with Democrats—opposed the measure, joining all Republicans in the upper chamber. Coons and Carper are considered two close allies of President Joe Biden, who was formerly a senator from Delaware.

The final vote tally was 42–58, falling far short of the 60 votes needed to overrule the Senate parliamentarian’s decision that a minimum wage increase can’t be embedded in a broader COVID-19 stimulus bill.

...​

Bernie Sanders's attempt at overriding the Senate Parliamentarian fails. They needed 60 votes for that and got 42. Good!

Eight Democratic senators joined Republicans in rejecting raising the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour over five years after it was proposed by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.), Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Chris Coons (D-Del.), and Angus King (I-Vt.)—who caucuses with Democrats—opposed the measure, joining all Republicans in the upper chamber. Coons and Carper are considered two close allies of President Joe Biden, who was formerly a senator from Delaware.

The final vote tally was 42–58, falling far short of the 60 votes needed to overrule the Senate parliamentarian’s decision that a minimum wage increase can’t be embedded in a broader COVID-19 stimulus bill.

Good!
Angus King is from Maine, not VT, btw. Good to see New Hampshire pulling with us. Maine is up to $12 plus annual cost of living increases, and that's high enough for us.

With this defeat, we can now hope for defeating the attempt to end the filibuster and voting down the horror that is H.R. 1.
There's a lot in H.R. 1 that's good. I think the Repubs should do a little Yankee trading on that one. Everyone would benefit from it.

Sinema was for raising the wage for her entire career...until now

it's all about political survival, my friends

remember, Arizona kicked off the Tea Party revolution with all the immigration bills under Governor Jan Brewer...i wonder where she is now, folks!

Sinema was for raising the wage for her entire career...until now

it's all about political survival, my friends

remember, Arizona kicked off the Tea Party revolution with all the immigration bills under Governor Jan Brewer...i wonder where she is now, folks!
She says she's still for it--just not in the Covid relief package.

Forum List

Back