7 countries where Americans can study at universities, in English, for free

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
Since 1985, U.S. college costs have surged by about 500 percent, and tuition fees keep rising. In Germany, they've done the opposite.

The country's universities have been tuition-free since the beginning of October, when Lower Saxony became the last state to scrap the fees. Tuition rates were always low in Germany, but now the German government fully funds the education of its citizens -- and even of foreigners.

Explaining the change, Dorothee Stapelfeldt, a senator in the northern city of Hamburg, said tuition fees "discourage young people who do not have a traditional academic family background from taking up study. It is a core task of politics to ensure that young women and men can study with a high quality standard free of charge in Germany."

What might interest potential university students in the United States is that Germany offers some programs in English -- and it's not the only country. Let's take a look at the surprising -- and very cheap -- alternatives to pricey American college degrees.

7 countries where Americans can study at universities in English for free or almost free - The Washington Post

You know, I feel something very wrong about this story. And this is how other countries can afford giving free higher education not only to their citizens, but also to foreigners while our own country does everything to make education available only to a bunch of well-off citizens?

It’s simply unfair. It’s just like no one wants Americans to be educated (and we are not that much educated, in fact. I mean, in the average). No education and welfare for everyone – that’s our future?

You hear that, It's FREEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

They pluck money to pay for it from magic money trees

Since 1985, U.S. college costs have surged by about 500 percent, and tuition fees keep rising. In Germany, they've done the opposite.

The country's universities have been tuition-free since the beginning of October, when Lower Saxony became the last state to scrap the fees. Tuition rates were always low in Germany, but now the German government fully funds the education of its citizens -- and even of foreigners.

Explaining the change, Dorothee Stapelfeldt, a senator in the northern city of Hamburg, said tuition fees "discourage young people who do not have a traditional academic family background from taking up study. It is a core task of politics to ensure that young women and men can study with a high quality standard free of charge in Germany."

What might interest potential university students in the United States is that Germany offers some programs in English -- and it's not the only country. Let's take a look at the surprising -- and very cheap -- alternatives to pricey American college degrees.

7 countries where Americans can study at universities in English for free or almost free - The Washington Post

You know, I feel something very wrong about this story. And this is how other countries can afford giving free higher education not only to their citizens, but also to foreigners while our own country does everything to make education available only to a bunch of well-off citizens?

It’s simply unfair. It’s just like no one wants Americans to be educated (and we are not that much educated, in fact. I mean, in the average). No education and welfare for everyone – that’s our future?

This is old news, and free tuition helps, but the cost of living in any of those countries far exceeds the cost in the US. Kind of like the proposed free two years community college Obama is proposing. Room and boarding aren't included.

Good for Germany. Only took a century and tens of millions of slaughtered people to figure that out. :)

This is old news, and free tuition helps, but the cost of living in any of those countries far exceeds the cost in the US. Kind of like the proposed free two years community college Obama is proposing. Room and boarding aren't included.
Room and boarding aren't included.... Really, room and board at a community college? So you want the government to pay for your food and apartment for two years? You would have made more sense if you said it should have covered books.

Nothing is "free." Someone has to pay the costs. Someone has to pay the professors' wages. Someone has to cover the Universities' operational costs (lighting, heating, general maintenance, etc.). I realize that many folks believe that all we need to do is print new money when we're running low but paper money is worthless unless it's backed by something tangible and valuable. Debt isn't tangible nor valuable. Pumping worthless, fiat, paper money into an economy will produce dire results in the long run.

You're wrong. Cost of living is not necessarily higher.

As with medical tourism, people can get an education for much less than if they stayed in the US.

The worst of this is that we will lose a lot of talent because some people will choose to stay overseas.

Room and boarding aren't included.... Really, room and board at a community college? So you want the government to pay for your food and apartment for two years? You would have made more sense if you said it should have covered books.

Maybe this pie in the sky proposal does cover books, and all I see is a bait and switch program to get votes. The cost of room and board at a US community college as well as at foreign Universities far exceeds the cost of tuition. What happened to grants and scholarships for those who earn them and are much more likely to finish college?

You're wrong. Cost of living is not necessarily higher.

As with medical tourism, people can get an education for much less than if they stayed in the US.

The worst of this is that we will lose a lot of talent because some people will choose to stay overseas.

I was wrong. My data was based on COL several years back. Don't plan on driving a car since gas is around $5.57 a gallon in Germany. That might not be a problem, if you don't mind using public transportation which there is a lot of in most of Europe. I know, since I have traveled a extensively on business and pleasure using their public trains and buses, and as long as I had a German speaking companion with me it was quite sufficient.

Sounds like you have bought into the educational shell game: The public thinks it is getting something for free while the government takes money out of their pockets and gives it to the professors.

What the US should do is adopt more from several countries k-12.
How To Germany - German School System

When you start looking into the different programs that are offered for students it is a whole different world. Some of these kids are going into apprenticeships, etc. and some are moving on to universities.

When you look at it you have to remember that it is different from the US version of tracking. That was a fiasco. The difference is that the parents are involved in it. That is a good thing and it would probably alter parental attitudes towards the education system as a whole. Many schools in the US want parental involvement but only to come in and clean the lunchroom.

But, that might smack the crap out of those that make an immense profit off of the public education system via tests etc and failing charter schools.One of the disasters that is occurring is the implementation of the free market (which is not free) in places like Sweden.

Forum List

Back