51 years old. Just started running again!

So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.
:)

DBB83BDE-5E89-4B62-93BB-B00D41ACA2BC.jpeg

2 days in a row I have completed a non stop mile. 2 miles total. Now I start trying to run that mile in a decent ammt of time.

3rd day in a row. Picked up the pace. Gonna start timing my mile next week. My best friend is a Navy SEAL. Told him yesterday what I am doing. He said and I quote "Good. We are running a marathon next year"

I said....hey, lets start with a 5k. He said "A marathon is the same thing as a 5k. Just one foot in front of the other"

:auiqs.jpg:

Damn SEALs are crazy!!!! But I know what he has been through. I know what he has done for this country. He's deployed a half a dozen times all over the world and seen and done things I would never want to see or do!!!!!

So im going to bust my ass to make that marathon happen. I will continue to update this thread with my progress over the next months/years.

Go big or go home right!!!!!!!!!

11 minute mile two days in a row. I think I'm going to leave it at that time for now and increase distance a bit. I will shoot for 1.5 miles tomorrow and see how it goes!!!

I think diabetes is a scam. They have no evidence that blood sugar should be in the "normal range" that they are declare. Therapy should not be aimed at lowering blood sugar, it should be aimed at improving sugar metabolism.

Aerobic running is also a lie. This irreversibly wears out the joints, and oxidative stress is the cause of aging and cancer.

I think diabetes is a scam. They have no evidence that blood sugar should be in the "normal range" that they are declare. Therapy should not be aimed at lowering blood sugar, it should be aimed at improving sugar metabolism.

Aerobic running is also a lie. This irreversibly wears out the joints, and oxidative stress is the cause of aging and cancer.
Glad nobody takes medical advice from you

You can also reason from the standpoint of evolution. If jogging without sugar was beneficial, then jogging without sugar would be attractive to women.
But nature is not wrong, they like other guys, with "milk and honey"

42782651_5c216da768c686665d62f99ff95f6783_800.jpg

Fraudsters are promoting a type of stretched heart, with weak walls, which is not able to hold a large pulse and pressure, and they are promoting blood that is not capable of intensively supplying energy to the muscles and brain.
They enjoy anything associated with weakness and aerobic endurance. All that is necessary for a slave who is capable of working in the field for a long time but not capable of anything more.
And for some reason it does not surprise me.

If someone injures a joint, or even breaks it altogether, it can be reassembled and restored. If someone foolishly got carried away by marathons and erased his joint, then this is forever.
The same goes for the spine. When running, the vertebrae also rub.

Im not trying to argue. Im trying to learn.

So is improving sugar metabolism not the same thing as lowering blood sugar?

And I'm truly running because (gasp) I enjoy it. I fortunately have never had a single joint problem. No knee, hip, ankle, etc problems what so ever. I have had to deal with a bout of plantar facitis (sp?) but it has been solved with proper shoes and insoles.

All I know is my running has absolutely lowered my sugar and helped.

10:50 mile this morning and I hit a wall. Not sure im capable of faster miles, especially once I start doing more than one consistently.

Time will tell.

Ever try the 16/8 hour eating plan? I know people who were diabetic and it really helped them. Then when you do eat, first meal is plant based. Avoid sugar, no bread, and you will lose weight. Running is great no matter your weight. It's benefits greatly outweigh any risks. So get a really cushioned pair of shoes like Nike invincible runs and hit the pavement. Don't stop. It's not easy but as you keep going it will get easier.
Its already gotten easier. A month ago I couldn't have run a 1/4 mile without being completely gassed. Now im up to a mile and if I slowed my pace im sure I could do 2.

I wear brooks shoes with really good insoles. They work well for me.

Ive cut out 90% of my sugar intake and for the first time in my life im watching carbs and eating virtually no bread (it sucks.....its REALLY SUCKS)

So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.

Congratulations!!

I haven't run since the Corporate Challenge they used to have in NYC. I don't know if they still have them

I've been a Type 2 Diabetic for 10 year, recently started Trulicity shots on top of elephant sized metformin pills: 500mg 4 times a day and a Statin

My doctor, wife and sons have been actively encouraging me to take steps and change diet and lifestyle. In July my son came in from Barcelona and he met a mutual friend who changed her diet and got all of all diabetes meds in 2 weeks. He was adamant that I follow up and take similar steps. For whatever reason, I was ready to act and I followed a Keto diet.

I'm off all my meds and under 200 pound for the first time since Clinton was President. When the Doctor retested he was so happy for me and asked what I did. I told him I had to drop my Twizzlers diet.

Congratulations!!

I haven't run since the Corporate Challenge they used to have in NYC. I don't know if they still have them

I've been a Type 2 Diabetic for 10 year, recently started Trulicity shots on top of elephant sized metformin pills: 500mg 4 times a day and a Statin

My doctor, wife and sons have been actively encouraging me to take steps and change diet and lifestyle. In July my son came in from Barcelona and he met a mutual friend who changed her diet and got all of all diabetes meds in 2 weeks. He was adamant that I follow up and take similar steps. For whatever reason, I was ready to act and I followed a Keto diet.

I'm off all my meds and under 200 pound for the first time since Clinton was President. When the Doctor retested he was so happy for me and asked what I did. I told him I had to drop my Twizzlers diet.
man that is AWESOME.

I take Bidurian (same as trulicity) once a week, and Jenta dueto and Jardiance once a day.

I would LOVE to see 200 lbs and I know I will if I keep this up. Currently 238 but the weight is definitely coming off VERY SLOWLY which is very frustrating.

Yesterday I did 2.5 miles in the morning and then at 1:00 I saw my trainer for weights and some sprints (45 min work out). I was so spent I went to sleep at 6:00 yesterday.

Im fortunate to be retired. No way I could do this much working out if I still worked for a living.

man that is AWESOME.

I take Bidurian (same as trulicity) once a week, and Jenta dueto and Jardiance once a day.

I would LOVE to see 200 lbs and I know I will if I keep this up. Currently 238 but the weight is definitely coming off VERY SLOWLY which is very frustrating.

Yesterday I did 2.5 miles in the morning and then at 1:00 I saw my trainer for weights and some sprints (45 min work out). I was so spent I went to sleep at 6:00 yesterday.

Im fortunate to be retired. No way I could do this much working out if I still worked for a living.

Stick with it!

It's a great feeling to be on a good path

care to elaborate? again, not trying to argue. Trying to get better and solve this diabetes problem.
i added there: improved metabolism will mean that the liver and tissues are able to store maximum glycogen
this is the absorption of sugar and its consumption

Forum List

Back