51 years old. Just started running again!

maybelooking

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2021
So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.

So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.
Ever thought of Swimming, jazzercise, biking? Eat more veggies-----they will fill you up and give you more vitamins that will cut cravings.

Ever thought of Swimming, jazzercise, biking? Eat more veggies-----they will fill you up and give you more vitamins that will cut cravings.
I have done some biking. I do love veggies and eat a lot of them. But I also love to snack and need to cut a lot of that out.....its just damn hard at 51 to make a change!!!

Combining running and walking may be your best bet
Try to gradually increase your distance, every little bit helps.
At your age, running may not be the best exercise.

Exercise alone will not reduce your A1c
I was diagnosed Type 2 two years ago. Just cutting down on sugar, carbs and starch got me to lose a pound a week. I eventually lost 50 lbs

My best friend is a Navy SEAL. Maybe I just need to get him to run with me!!!! :slap:

Combining running and walking may be your best bet
Try to gradually increase your distance, every little bit helps.
At your age, running may not be the best exercise.

Exercise alone will not reduce your A1c
I was diagnosed Type 2 two years ago. Just cutting down on sugar, carbs and starch got me to lose a pound a week. I eventually lost 50 lbs
Ive almost 100% cut out sugary drinks....which is probably why I got diabetes in the first place!! But carbs IMO are damn near impossible to cut out. EVERY DAMN THING HAS CARBS. At least anything worth eating in the first place.

And I have to disagree somewhat. Now maybe at 51 exercise alone won't reduce A1C. I have yet to do it long enough to find out......but the first time around I ate everything in sight. Literally whatever I wanted and however much of it I wanted and I lost weight and reduced A1C.......but I got up to 3 miles a day......sometimes more. Not sure I can do that again.

Ive almost 100% cut out sugary drinks....which is probably why I got diabetes in the first place!! But carbs IMO are damn near impossible to cut out. EVERY DAMN THING HAS CARBS. At least anything worth eating in the first place.

And I have to disagree somewhat. Now maybe at 51 exercise alone won't reduce A1C. I have yet to do it long enough to find out......but the first time around I ate everything in sight. Literally whatever I wanted and however much of it I wanted and I lost weight and reduced A1C.......but I got up to 3 miles a day......sometimes more. Not sure I can do that again.
I guess with diabetes, there is no universal answer. I think everyone processes sugar differently and what may work for one may not work for others
Day to day, I still can’t figure out what made my reading go up or down

Distance running is not a good option for someone over 200 lbs. Too much wear and tear on bones and joints. (I was a 200+ pound runner for 35 years). Remember, the only OLD runners are skinny ones.

My suggestion: do some interval training - maybe once a week. Go to a quarter mile track and run the straights, walk the curves. 7 or 8 intervals is plenty.

And if you have the time, walk 3 miles or so three times a week. Hilly terrain is best. Treadmill is just as good as pavement, and set the incline at at least 4 percent.

And of course, diet control is good, as are stretching and some weight work.

Works for me. 72 years old and in OK health.

Running is god-awful in the long run. I ran when I was paid to run and avoided it when I wasn't being paid to run. There is plenty means of exercise, able to burn calories, increase wind, increase stamina, better at enhancing flexibility, without the cumulative damage due to physics on feet, knees and hips. I am blessed, I do not particularly have to watch calories, but I try to maintain high activity for my age, maintaining strength, stamina and agility to do the things I enjoy. If I have to run for a short distance, I can and will, but only long enough to egress a situation or in preparation to eliminate a threat.

Just do away with the idea of running or jogging and just try to start walking as fast as you can or for as long as you can. Even beyond the cardio, your old tendons and joints may not be up to the challenge. As for as burning calories, the only difference between running and walking is the amount of time it takes to burn any given number of them. Eating more protein and more spicy foods help speed up your metabolism a little as well. Good luck

If you run, keep your steps short and try to keep on your toes/ball to reduce shock to the knee.
But biking may be safer for joints.
Swimming may be another good option.

Avoid all sugars.
They not only are too concentrated, but addictive as well.
To sweeten coffee, I use agave syrup.
It is slower to get into blood and not as hard on pancreas glucose conversion.

Maybe alternate your exercize routine between bicycle and running. Give your joints a break that way. and definately make sure your doing a really good stretching routine to get the blood flow working. I always try to take a lot of extra time stretching first, I notice if I skimp or rush that part ,
performance is not as good.

If you run, keep your steps short and try to keep on your toes/ball to reduce shock to the knee.
But biking may be safer for joints.
Swimming may be another good option.

Avoid all sugars.
They not only are too concentrated, but addictive as well.
To sweeten coffee, I use agave syrup.
It is slower to get into blood and not as hard on pancreas glucose conversion.
Oh im well aware of sugar addiction. As a teen I drank a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper a day. Probably a huge part of why im diabetic now!!! But I can't cut out all sugar. I greatly reduce it and keep a watch on it.....but its basically heroin to me. :D

Oh im well aware of sugar addiction. As a teen I drank a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper a day. Probably a huge part of why im diabetic now!!! But I can't cut out all sugar. I greatly reduce it and keep a watch on it.....but its basically heroin to me. :D

Try a different sugar that is slower to metabolize.
I use agave syrup and monkfruit sugar, but none of the artificial sweetners.

Ever try the 16/8 hour eating plan? I know people who were diabetic and it really helped them. Then when you do eat, first meal is plant based. Avoid sugar, no bread, and you will lose weight. Running is great no matter your weight. It's benefits greatly outweigh any risks. So get a really cushioned pair of shoes like Nike invincible runs and hit the pavement. Don't stop. It's not easy but as you keep going it will get easier.

Forum List

Back