'50 Years'--The Beatles

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
Beatle news briefs: Rolling Stone meets the Beatles 50th; a very Beatle New Year - National Beatles | Examiner.com

http://www.beatlesnews.com/news/the...timate-conversation-with-beatles-friends.html

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2...-and-gary-goetzman-premieres-thursday-jan-30/

<&#8216;THE SIXTIES - The British Invasion&#8217; Executive Produced by Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman Premieres Jan. 30

Extraordinary series THE SIXTIES from Playtone, Herzog & Company begins May 2014

Multiple Emmy® Award-winning executive producers Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman (HBO&#8217;s John Adams and The Pacific), and Emmy® Award-winning producer Mark Herzog (History&#8217;s Gettysburg) of Herzog & Company (HCO), will reignite the landmark musical revolution of 1964 in this special presentation from their CNN Original Series. The one-hour special, THE SIXTIES: The British Invasion will premiere on CNN/U.S. on Thursday, Jan. 30 at 9:00pmET and PT. The full 10-part episode CNN Original Series THE SIXTIES will begin in May 2014.

The British Invasion begins with the breakthrough performance of The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, which was watched by a record-setting 73 million viewers, blazing a culture-changing path through America fifty years ago next month. The Beatles&#8217; success was quickly followed by other British bands hoping to conquer the hearts of American teens. Those siren calls of The Animals, The Kinks, The Hollies, The Dave Clarke 5, The Who, and The Rolling Stones are all revisited in this paean to the power of the music that defined a generation &#8211; and remain vital and relevant today.

The Ed Sullivan Show introducing The Beatles to America aired on Feb. 9, 1964, and their thrilling, mesmerizing appearance launched a revolution in fashion, hairstyles, advertising, politics, and sexual mores that have influenced virtually every aspect of modern American life. Throughout the special, soul song legend Smokey Robinson; Graham Nash (of The Hollies and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young); Ahmir &#8220;Questlove&#8221; Thompson, music journalist, record producer and drummer for the Grammy® Award-winning band The Roots; rock columnist David Wild; Mickey Dolenz of the American musical group, The Monkees; and more, all provide insights into how the &#8220;British invasion&#8221; was actually a reciprocal flow of influences back and forth with American artists. The legendary era of Bob Dylan, Motown, The Beach Boys, and others, laid down the beats that formed the soundtrack of a generation.

THE SIXTIES: The British Invasion follows the strong ratings success of THE SIXTIES: The Assassination of JFK (1963), which was seen by 21.0 million total viewers and 8.2 million viewers in the coveted 25 to 54 age demo. The Assassination of JFK (1963) and The British Invasion will air again when full THE SIXTIES series launches in May 2014. The 10 episodes of THE SIXTIES focus on the indelible impact of technology, drugs, music, &#8220;free love,&#8221; and civil rights, bringing new insights to the landmark events and extraordinary people which shaped our history and character as Americans &#8211; and changed the world.
>

Last edited:
I've never owned a single Beatles record or recording in my life. I've never gone out of my way to listen to them. But, if something comes on the radio... I rather enjoy it.

I've never owned a single Beatles record or recording in my life. I've never gone out of my way to listen to them. But, if something comes on the radio... I rather enjoy it.

I think I had a few of the early albums. Would have been 15---lol. Didn't get into the Beatles for several decades. Really enjoy the music now.

In the early 90's I posted in a book forum and there were many Beatles fans--fun times.

lol--not certain that kind of music will come again. I can't imagine 50 years from now people feeling about any artist --ie Justin Bieber or Mylie Cyrus in the same way.

'Yesterday'--so many great songs.

At the risk of soliciting the ire of devoted Beatles fans....about half of their songs are lame, and the other half are exceptionally good. In my opinion anyway.

I think I had a few of the early albums. Would have been 15---lol. Didn't get into the Beatles for several decades. Really enjoy the music now.

In the early 90's I posted in a book forum and there were many Beatles fans--fun times.

lol--not certain that kind of music will come again. I can't imagine 50 years from now people feeling about any artist --ie Justin Bieber or Mylie Cyrus in the same way.

'Yesterday'--so many great songs.

The Beatles captivated the entire planet. They traversed generations. Their music defined entire eras.

No... that kind of music will not come around here no more.

Same here. I'm more into country music, however back in the 1970's while in my teens, I did enjoy listening to Elvis, and did have many of his records. I found his rock music far better than the Beatles. Just personal taste I guess.

Not to mention Fats Domino and Chuck Berry, I found both had better music than the Beatles.

Last edited:
I saw the Rolling Stones in a 50th anniversary concert at Hyde Park last night. Amazing talent and energy from a bunch of 70 year olds

Same here. I'm more into country music, however back in the 1970's while in my teens, I did enjoy listening to Elvis, and did have many of his records. I found his rock music far better than the Beatles. Just personal taste I guess.

Not to mention Fats Domino and Chuck Berry, I found both had better music than the Beatles.

When the Beatles Met Elvis - The Back Story - latimes.com

<But perhaps the greatest of L.A.’s rock ’n’ roll tête-à-têtes occurred on a still summer night in 1965, high up in the rarefied climes of Bel Air. There, in a splendid home on Perugia Way, Elvis met the Beatles.

Or more precisely, the Beatles met Elvis. When the group traveled to the U.S. in 1964, they frequently cited Elvis as a major influence. Beatles manager Brian Epstein contacted Presley’s manager, the famously colorful Colonel Tom Parker, about organizing a meeting, but the logistics could never be worked out. The closest the Fab Four got to contact with the King came after their first visit to The Ed Sullivan Show, when the curiously charisma-deficient host read from a telegram: “Congratulations on your appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show and your visit to Amer*ica. We hope your engagement will be a successful one and your visit pleasant. Give our best to Mr. Sullivan. Sincerely, Elvis & the Colonel.”

The following year, when the Beatles returned for a second U.S. tour, it all came together. The Beatles were in Los Angeles for a week, staying in a rented Benedict Canyon house while they played two nights at the Hollywood Bowl. Elvis was at his home on Perugia Way in Bel Air, having just returned from location, shooting his latest movie, Paradise, Hawaiian Style.>

Last edited:
I enjoyed the Beatles, fer sure. Still do, and don't get upset when people say they didn't like them for whatever reason. Their harmonies were fantastic. Their style hit at just the right time and a lot of people went fricking bananas over them.

At the risk of soliciting the ire of devoted Beatles fans....about half of their songs are lame, and the other half are exceptionally good. In my opinion anyway.

when you had the output they had,that kind of thing will happen.....many said the same thing about Mozart....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axb2sHpGwHQ]The Beatles - Come Together - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back