There are a number of alternatives to straight bonds and mutual funds that specialize in them. There's convertible bonds, preferred stocks, real estate investment trusts, funds that specialize in defensive stocks, and there's hedge funds, gold funds, etc. The risk level can be high to very low depending on the investment so the novice investors need to investigate before they jump in.

Also, when buying bond funds to avoid risk be sure an select a fund defined as a low risk fund because some bonds carry a high risk.
Yes I understand all of that. But again TNHarley was looking to pull his money OUT of the 401K and I was suggesting that he look at transferring his money into a low risk fixed asset fund. The 401K are usually very clear about how conservative or risky the fixed income fund is.

Ride the storm and PRAY for Republicans to take over in fall and 2024.
Unless your living off that income now you should leave it alone
If you look at the statistics and links in my post #45 in this thread , you will see the market has been kinder to democrat presidents than republican presidents since 1900 and also since 1945. However, the business cycle, uncontrollable events such as pandemics, economic and political changes in other nations, acts of war, and acts of nature have a far greater impact on the economy than the president. With all the politicization of every action or inaction of the president and every change in the economy, one might think that the president makes a huge impact on the economy but that is not the case. Overall the greatest impact presidents have on the economy is the appointment of the Chairmen of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors and the governors on that board because these are the people that have the job of controlling the economy, not the president. Since the congress controls the purse strings of the country, their impact is also greater than the president.

Forum List

Back