3D TV-How Many of US Will Buy Them?

Gatekeeper

Nov 11, 2009
New Jersey
One pair of 3D glasses to rule them all - CNN.com

Now the manufacturers, as always, will use proprietary 3D glasses at $150-200 EACH and who knows what else.

Reports are that the initial 3D televisions are already sold out. I will be right there checking them out when they get to the market here. Some side effects, some say, are headaches etc, well, along with what seems to be increased advertising time per hour and less program content, one has to ask, is TV really worth all this aggravation?

Some programs, I have noticed are ending like 54 min past the hour and start one the hour for a few seconds then back to ads until 6 min after the hour, and of course once the program begins the barrage of ads, popups,scrolling text and logos driving one totally NUTZ. :lol:

All in all, it might be great for Blueray viewing and I am sure they will charge much more because it's not only BlueRay, but 3D to boot. Promises to be interesting, if it works out I may upgrade to a 60" 3D unit, who knows.

Maybe with luck there will be a PC/WEB interface in 3D and I can see all you members in USMB in 3D. OMG now there's a vision! :eek:

we iz cheap lol i am glad i am not the only one...yea i will pop maybe for movies in 3d....some movies ...but tv...do i really want a hocky punk coming at me...at 80 mph?

i still have a square tv....i will gladly buy a flat screen when yall upgrade to 3 d...i figure i can get one cheap!

Lots of Tube sets, many that work well, on the streets come trash time, and no one picking them up, that I have seen. The flat panels really saved space :lol: till I filled those spaces in with something else.
I have three 17" tube monitors in the attic and no one wants them, so their headed for the trash man too.

I hated it, in a way, when the all digital change came for many reasons, but the main one I saw as, what a way to get every last person anywhere to completely Re-Buy every TV they owned and radios also in time. But with the FCC mandate there was no choice, either upgrade or look out the window.

I have succumbed to the BS and have 5 LED flat screens along with 6 PC flat screen monitors. The one I am using now has the TV card digital,analog so I can watch over the air digital only. Need a box for watching cable digital..........well.....unless.

Things sure have changed since our first color TV my folks got in 1954, the RCA 21" round tube CTC1 chassis. One program a week on, Friday night, Judge Roy Bean, then came the others, the rest is history.

Last edited:
I generally buy things as they strike my fancy - not as they come out. Usually first models of anything that are out are laden with problems. Didn't get an HD flat screen until about a year ago... 3D? Probably will never be worth it to me - I don't spent enough time plopped in front of the silly thing.

i still have a square tv....i will gladly buy a flat screen when yall upgrade to 3 d...i figure i can get one cheap!

Lots of Tube sets, many that work well, on the streets come trash time, and no one picking them up, that I have seen. The flat panels really saved space :lol: till I filled those spaces in with something else.
I have three 17" tube monitors in the attic and no one wants them, so their headed for the trash man too.

I hated it, in a way, when the all digital change came for many reasons, but the main one I saw as, what a way to get every last person anywhere to completely Re-Buy every TV they owned and radios also in time. But with the FCC mandate there was no choice, either upgrade or look out the window.

I have succumbed to the BS and have 5 LED flat screens along with 6 PC flat screen monitors. The one I am using now has the TV card digital,analog so I can watch over the air digital only. Need a box for watching cable digital..........well.....unless.

Things sure have changed since our first color TV my folks got in 1954, the RCA 21" round tube CTC1 chassis. One program a week on, Friday night, Judge Roy Bean, then came the others, the rest is history.

You should donate them to Good Will. Someone without a working tv and is cash strapped would be glad to buy that for cheap.

In your home? Holy cow you must watch a lotta tv.

Ah, modern technology. Some inventions waiting for an "audience".

There are 3d glasses where the screen is actually embedded in the lens. You can watch movie sized movies while sitting at the airport.

Wrap 920

Then there are flexible screens up to 60" that can be rolled up like a map. Or placed under a desk-sized "touch screen" that will turn your "desk top" into a giant computer. Also has a keyboard icon that is the size of a keyboard and functions as a keyboard. Especially great for artists and engineers.
Or, you could load a shelf full of books into a roll up piece of plastic you could put in your pocket and read later.

Discovery News: Guest Spot: Roll Up the Computer

Then their are pocket projectors.

AAXA P2 Pico Projector - LCoS Based Hand-held Pocket Projector - LED Micro Projector

Microvision SHOWWX? Laser Pico Projector: Technical Specifications

Able to create images 80 to 100 inches using three lasers, but the size of a cell phone, a very small cell phone.

Course, there are new fuel cells, battery technology, solar panels 10 times more efficient.

As interesting as this stuff is, it's dwarfed by breakthroughs in medicine and other fields of science, including the understanding of "evolution". Oh those scientists. If only we could get more kids to want to be one.

You should donate them to Good Will. Someone without a working tv and is cash strapped would be glad to buy that for cheap.

GR8 suggestion, I will give it to them this week, sometimes the obvious doesn't ring a bell. :lol:

GR8 suggestion, I will give it to them this week, sometimes the obvious doesn't ring a bell. :lol:

Our one tv didn't have the right connections (only a single cable input) to have a simple dvd player attached to it so I went on craigslist and bought a 27", 11 yr. old zenith some guy was selling for $20. The color leaves a bit to be desired but . . . it fit the bill and the budget for now. The old tv (which is a 19" GE and works great) it sitting, covered up in the basement. At some point my oldest will move out and she can take it or the youngest when she goes to college can have it.

Last edited:

Mostly computer oriented and internet, the wife watches more TV than I do, most of my content comes off the web, news etc. I do watch a few programs but nothing on a regular basis. I also use an RSS reader program for many breaking stories. They pop up every time there's a new story in what ever site you have subscribed to.

Mostly computer oriented and internet, the wife watches more TV than I do, most of my content comes off the web, news etc. I do watch a few programs but nothing on a regular basis. I also use an RSS reader program for many breaking stories. They pop up every time there's a new story in what ever site you have subscribed to.

I don't even know how to use RSS, so I never have.

I'm just learning how to Twitter/Tweet. :lol:

Actually I have several TV's both flat panel and CRT type. I have an old CRT type in the barn. The cats like The Animal Planet channel.

I have no desire to buy a 3D TV though.

I don't even know how to use RSS, so I never have.

I'm just learning how to Twitter/Tweet. :lol:

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication

The programs, aggregators, provide a single interface, much like a browser,BUT only the areas of YOUR interests are 'subscribed' to. FREE, of course.
The program I use is called SharpReader.

SharpReader RSS Aggregator (link)

Once installed you get an RSS directory or go to a specific site and get their RSS links.
Like for example CNET-Technology-computers..etc
or CNN-Science and Technology--US News--World News Etc Etc.
Very selective tailored to your preferences.
I have many of the news sites, technology sites and USGS sites for world wide earthquake alerts. They update continually. I find it very useful.

I still visit other news sites out of the RSS domains however.

Depends on the price really, I'd wager that the price tag would fall drastically after 4-5 years of introduction to the market. If it would be anything like in the cinemas, I'd definitely buy one!

New Topics

Forum List

Back