32 Inch Samsung TV $199

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
I bought this set today to replace my 26" Samsung TV I bought in 07, although I bought it at Walmart for $144.

What I find really remarkable is that the very first time I bought at TV it was in the fall of 1987. I bought a 19" Sears set and the price was $299.

I shopped around for that TV too, and it seemed like a pretty good deal.

Why has the price of TV's gone down so much- while the screens are getting larger at the same time.

President Biden and the Democrat economy!
:auiqs.jpg:
Fewer parts. Smaller parts - efficient storage and shipping.

I paid $500 in 1987 for a 26 inch Panasonic floor model from Circuit City. Probably weighed about forty pounds, maybe more.

Last edited:
..I got a curved 40 inch Smart TV free from 25 years at work...a few years before that I won a 40 inch at a company Halloween event ....
..I remember our first color TV..must've been about a 15 incher --real small

I bought this set today to replace my 26" Samsung TV I bought in 07, although I bought it at Walmart for $144.

What I find really remarkable is that the very first time I bought at TV it was in the fall of 1987. I bought a 19" Sears set and the price was $299.

Why has the price of TV's gone down so much- while the screens are getting larger at the same time.
that's how it works for a lot of products.....cheaper as they mature...

At the price I might have once advised you buy one as a spare because IF/when the one fails you already have a ready-to-go replacement on hand for about 1/3 the outlay of having the broken one repaired. If you could find anyone to do it.

But not these days.

Life expectancy of even off-brand TVs (NOT calling yours "off-brand") is such that when they do fail...typically not all that rapidly anymore....the replacement will cost about 1/2 what you paid for the current one and make better pictures.

I'm serious when I say this:

In the lifetime of the average American it will be possible to buy for the equivalent of $100 in 2021 dollars a 1/2 inch flexible TV of at least 48 inch diagonal screen size. It will come with a "remove the plastic strip"that allows you to stick it to the wall. It will be powered - without connecting wires - by a unit that plugs into a reasonably close wall outlet capable of working with 123/240 Volt AC. It will include an internal WiFi and/or bluetooth connection for an (optional) "over the air" receiver module,.

OK, laugh. So did most engineers when, in 1979 I was pushing for design of a 48 (diagonal) inch screen thin and light enough to mount on wall brackets. In retrospect I was wrong that I did not consider anything other that 4x3 aspect ratio. That was inside an American TV station equipment company that is still around - though no longer in America.

The reason TVs like this one are so cheap is that they are IOT surveillance devices. Samsung will spy on you and sell your data.

With any of today's "smart TVs" or computers privacy can be greatly enhanced by applying a part of the gummed instructions that come with U.S. postage stamps over the camera lens. If you can find it. A couple of layers of foam carpet tape (small squares) over the microphone help. I don't like the look of that so I just refrain from dancing naked in front of the TV. Besides; I don't want to break it.

A 26 inch TV? Did it come with a magnifying glass?

The reason TVs like this one are so cheap is that they are IOT surveillance devices. Samsung will spy on you and sell your data.
It is amazing that you are so keen to know the answer for us dummies, but then you use an abbreviation, assuming that we will know what it means.
:eusa_doh:

They weigh next to nothing, and being flat they can cram a lot of them in a 44 foot container. They should actually be about $20, but price gouging is rampant in the electronics industry as is slave labor. Patent pools by big corps keep the prices jacked up super high.

Amazing how cheap TVs are these days.

I remember back around 1965 or so my parents discussing whether or not to buy a color TV. I remember the number $350 being mentioned which is probably around $2500 these days.

Its cheaper to make tubeless tv's.

Just seen a 75 inch Samsung for less than $570 at Wally world....

Beware of Smart
It is amazing that you are so keen to know the answer for us dummies, but then you use an abbreviation, assuming that we will know what it means.
:eusa_doh:

I'm surprised you don't know what IOT means as it has been quite commonly used for a a number of years. It stands for the "Internet of Things". IOT is a means of connecting devices and enabling spying and tracking of all human activity and environs.

Just as free email and social media make money by spying on and tracking users (users are the product, not the customer), IOT connected devices are cheap because the producers intend to monetize the data. Do you really need your refrigerator on the internet? Does the manufacturer making money by selling the info on how much ice cream you eat benefit you or the manufacturer?

My person preference is to not use SIRI, Alexa or any "Smart" device designed to spy on me.

More people are watching their services on their phones and laptops now. I ditched my 52 inch tv for my 17.5 inch screen laptop. I can take it anywhere I want without having to carry my tv.

For many years I have carried an iPad mini on trips for entertainment. I use it with a decent set of earbuds that also serve well on airplanes (when there are any available). But I also carry an older Macbook Air to take care of correspondence and accounting without the gyrations the iPad requires.

At home: Because of frequent power failures of reasonably short duration I keep a 24-inch LG on the shelf. It normally runs off a 12VDC wall-wart but lasts for hours off an ordinary car battery as does my internet connection. I know, overkill, but at my age I like my comforts! Started doing that when I had a very remote cabin with a couple of solar panels and batteries that carried me for a relaxing weekend.

I dropped satellite a long ago, and with some6 dozen local digital channels I'm still hard pressed to find more than 4 or five hours of anything watchable, except a couple of old black and white series, in a week, and mostly I'm just 'settling' for that, while sitting on my ass for a few minutes before doing something else.

Good luck with your purchase, but in my experience Samsung makes the worst electronics

Forum List

Back