Looks like I'm not the only one figuring it worthwhile:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070311/film_nm/boxoffice_dc

Bloody epic "300" earns big numbers at box office

1 hour, 13 minutes ago

The blood-soaked ancient epic "300" slaughtered its foes at the weekend box office in North America, setting a new record for a March release by selling about $70 million worth of tickets, distributor Warner Bros. Pictures said on Sunday.

The grim warrior tale stars Scottish actor Gerard Butler as Leonidas, king of the Spartans, who leads 300 of his warriors to glorious death at the Battle of Thermopylae against a massive Persian army commanded by the fey king Xerxes (Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro).

Its achievement was all the more noteworthy given that the previous record-holder for the month, 2006's "Ice Age 2: The Meltdown," with $68 million, was a family-oriented cartoon, while "300" is an unabashedly gruesome spectacle with an "R" rating that prevents viewers under 17 attending without adult supervision.

In fact, the opening for "300" ranks as the third-highest for an R-rated movie, behind "The Matrix Reloaded" ($91 million) and "The Passion of the Christ" ($83 million), said Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc...

Just got back from seeing this...very bloody indeed but I loved the movie!

Best line:

"We have been sharing our culture with you all morning"
LOL! If one is familiar with Herodotus, will it be good? I'm still trying to figure out the 'comic book' take.

LOL! If one is familiar with Herodotus, will it be good? I'm still trying to figure out the 'comic book' take.

Actually, they take a lot from Herodotus. The "comic book" take comes from the graphics (I would think) and some of the interpretation/portrayals of the characters.

What fascinated me was the fighting styles (amateur military historian here) such as the use of the phalanx under ideal conditions, the wedge formation, etc.

Actually, they take a lot from Herodotus. The "comic book" take comes from the graphics (I would think) and some of the interpretation/portrayals of the characters.

What fascinated me was the fighting styles (amateur military historian here) such as the use of the phalanx under ideal conditions, the wedge formation, etc.

You've basically convinced me.

You've basically convinced me.

All the best quotes are in the movie as well. In fact, two of the more famous ones are mottoes for Greek army units. The well publicized one seen in the movie clip ("So much the better, we shall fight in the shade" attributed to Dienekes) is the motto of a Greek armor division.

If you do go see it, be sure to watch for the employment of the Greek phalanx in both the defensive and offensive postures. It is demonstrated early on in the attack.

If blood and guts bother you, you should know that there is plenty of graphic "amputations" (arms, legs, heads...you name it). There is also some nudity and a few "intimate" scenes too.

All the best quotes are in the movie as well. In fact, two of the more famous ones are mottoes for Greek army units. The well publicized one seen in the movie clip ("So much the better, we shall fight in the shade" attributed to Dienekes) is the motto of a Greek armor division.

If you do go see it, be sure to watch for the employment of the Greek phalanx in both the defensive and offensive postures. It is demonstrated early on in the attack.

If blood and guts bother you, you should know that there is plenty of graphic "amputations" (arms, legs, heads...you name it). There is also some nudity and a few "intimate" scenes too.

I can deal with nudity/sex, it's violence. I'm good at closing my eyes though!

I can deal with nudity/sex, it's violence. I'm good at closing my eyes though!

Well, I have to say that the hand to hand combat is very realistic...shows what a sword or spear can really do. I have studied the use of those types of weapons and the movie shows it well. People have no idea how bloody those ancient battles really were. I'll take getting nuked over that any day.

There is also some nudity and a few "intimate" scenes too.
Being a movie about Greeks, am I to assume that those few "intimate" scenes were all homosexual in nature? :razz:

(Not directed at anyone in particular. :eusa_angel: )

Being a movie about Greeks, am I to assume that those few "intimate" scenes were all homosexual in nature? :razz:

(Not directed at anyone in particular. :eusa_angel: )

Nope. Actually, there is a scene in the movie where the Spartans make a few snide remarks about the "boy lovers" from Athens.

Next best line in the movie:

"Only Spartan women give birth to real men."

my 20 year old son is a real movie afficianado...he saw 300 this past weekend and says it is easily in his top ten all time list.

we are getting ready to leave for my ancestral home in a few hours to go bury my 94 year old father who died last friday, but I will see this movie sometime soon after our return.

Forum List

Back