3 people shot at Monroeville Mall...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
3 People Shot at Mall Unclear If Shooter Held or Sought - ABC News

Three people were shot at a Pittsburgh-area shopping center on Saturday night and were taken to a hospital, and the mall and the hospital's emergency room were placed on lockdown.

It was unclear whether the shooter was captured or had escaped, said Monroeville Mayor Gregory Erosenko, who had only sketchy details shortly after the 7:45 p.m. shooting. He said his police chief was at the scene.

The three victims were taken to Forbes Hospital with gunshot wounds, hospital spokesman Jesse Miller said. One was in stable condition, he said, and he couldn't release the conditions of the other two.

Detectives told the hospital to lock down its emergency room until they were certain the Monroeville Mall shooter had been captured, Miller said.

Pennsylvania native and ex-NFL quarterback Terrelle Pryor tweeted that he was at the mall, a short drive east of Pittsburgh.

"Damn was just in monroeville mall and just saw 2 ppl get shot," he tweeted. "They are letting guns go in there."

Shoppers described chaos as shots rang out.

"I grabbed my friend, and said, let's go, and said, we're out of here," Mitchell Swann, 18, of Rankin, told the Pittsburgh-Tribune Review. He said he heard several shots.

Yvette Jackson, 38, of North Braddock, was attending a birthday party at Giggles and Smiles, a fitness and fun center for children.

"We saw a lot of running, a lot of chaos," she told the newspaper. She said she and other patrons were locked in the store for about 45 minutes until police came and let them out.

In late December, hundreds of teenagers gathered at the mall and several fights broke out. The fights caused local officials and mall administration to agree on a plan to increase security there.

Weapons are banned at the mall, whose code of conduct specifically prohibits "Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties."

The mall, which is owned and managed by CBL & Associates Properties Inc., of Chattanooga,Tennessee, has 1.1 million square feet of shopping space. It says on its website it features more than 125 stores and eateries, anchored by JCPenney, Macy's and Barnes & Noble.

No one answered the phone at CBL offices after business hours Saturday. A mall security officer reached by telephone said he couldn't talk.

Damn! I used to go to that mall all the time as a kid. It was also used as the set for the original Dawn of the Dead, and the same mall hundreds of teenager rioted at in December. So much for their beefed up security.

I heard this earlier. Apparently, there were armed guards.

So much for more guns keeping people safe.

I didn't intend for this thread to become a gun debate, but I knew it would eventually. :D

In my opinion both side's arguments are flawed on certain levels. The article states that guns are banned in the mall. Obviously that didn't help either.

How awful! I hope none of these poor people were not fatally injured. Oddly enough, I was just at that Macy's this afternoon. I went with the high hopes of buying some new threads and ended up buying only socks and underwear.

How awful! I hope none of these poor people were not fatally injured. Oddly enough, I was just at that Macy's this afternoon. I went with the high hopes of buying some new threads and ended up buying only socks and underwear.

I knew you were from that area as well. I was soooo tempted to make a "Is mdk the shooter?" joke. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Weapons are banned at the mall, whose code of conduct specifically prohibits "Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties."

Maybe some folks just plane cain't reed. :dunno:
Or maybe they just don't give a fuck.

The above reference to the article states a condition of restriction. Evidently restrictions failed in this instance.
More laws that are restrictive of law abiding licensed gun owners are also failed policy.

I knew you were from that area as well. I was soooo tempted to make a "Is mdk the shooter?" joke. :D

I am better with a bow. :eusa_angel:

Three people were shot at a Pittsburgh-area shopping center on Saturday night and were taken to a hospital, and the mall and the hospital's emergency room were placed on lockdown.

It was unclear whether the shooter was captured or had escaped, said Monroeville Mayor Gregory Erosenko, who had only sketchy details shortly after the 7:45 p.m. shooting. He said his police chief was at the scene.

The three victims were taken to Forbes Hospital with gunshot wounds, hospital spokesman Jesse Miller said. One was in stable condition, he said, and he couldn't release the conditions of the other two.

Detectives told the hospital to lock down its emergency room until they were certain the Monroeville Mall shooter had been captured, Miller said.

Pennsylvania native and ex-NFL quarterback Terrelle Pryor tweeted that he was at the mall, a short drive east of Pittsburgh.

"Damn was just in monroeville mall and just saw 2 ppl get shot," he tweeted. "They are letting guns go in there."

"I grabbed my friend, and said, let's go, and said, we're out of here," Mitchell Swann, 18, of Rankin, told the Pittsburgh-Tribune Review. He said he heard several shots.

Yvette Jackson, 38, of North Braddock, was attending a birthday party at Giggles and Smiles, a fitness and fun center for children.

"We saw a lot of running, a lot of chaos," she told the newspaper. She said she and other patrons were locked in the store for about 45 minutes until police came and let them out.

In late December, hundreds of teenagers gathered at the mall and several fights broke out. The fights caused local officials and mall administration to agree on a plan to increase security there.

The mall, which is owned and managed by CBL & Associates Properties Inc., of Chattanooga,Tennessee, has 1.1 million square feet of shopping space. It says on its website it features more than 125 stores and eateries, anchored by JCPenney, Macy's and Barnes & Noble.

No one answered the phone at CBL offices after business hours Saturday. A mall security officer reached by telephone said he couldn't talk.

Damn! I used to go to that mall all the time as a kid. It was also used as the set for the original Dawn of the Dead, and the same mall hundreds of teenager rioted at in December. So much for their beefed up security.
I have heard it already. If you don't want gun discussion let's speak about people's blood-thirsty. Don't you think that we are killing each other too often for no weighty reason. Crazy society indeed.

I have heard it already. If you don't want gun discussion let's speak about people's blood-thirsty. Don't you think that we are killing each other too often for no weighty reason. Crazy society indeed.

Humans have been killing each other for no good reason for 200,000 years, and we will be doing the same 200,000 years from now. I don't dwell on the subject.

Who's doing the majority of the killing?

That's a good start.

The government? :dunno:

That's a good start.

It was the only items I purchased. I literally hate shopping.

Right.....
No! The vast majority of the killing is being done by people already restricted from owning and or carrying a firearm. Further infringement of the rights of a law abiding gun owner would do nothing, zip zero nada to prevent such a shooting.
However, had there been a few dozen licensed gun owners there with their weapons, the damage may have been limited.

Right.....
No! The vast majority of the killing is being done by people already restricted from owning and or carrying a firearm. Further infringement of the rights of a law abiding gun owner would do nothing, zip zero nada to prevent such a shooting.
However, had there been a few dozen licensed gun owners there with their weapons, the damage may have been limited.

There were a few dozen licensed gun owners there. They were the security guards.

The insane.

Right.....
Right. More bullets flying around the public would no doubt lead to a much safer situation.

After all, each gun carrier is Annie Oakley.

I used to live out that way for 5 years. Monroeville Mall attracted all the riffraff from the Eastern Pittsburgh suburbs. Homewood, Wilkinsburg, Murraysville, Penn Hills & Turtle Creek. Sad to hear it happened again but not surprised either....

I used to live out that way for 5 years. Monroeville Mall attracted all the riffraff from the Eastern Pittsburgh suburbs. Homewood, Wilkinsburg, Murraysville, Penn Hills & Turtle Creek. Sad to hear it happened again but not surprised either....

The area I lived in the longest was Penn Hills.Every area you mentioned are those "don't even stop at the stop sign" neighborhoods. Homewood and Wilkinsburg were ghettos. I'm not as familiar with Murraysville. Turtle Creek was a shit hole. Living in Penn Hills as a kid, I was shaken down for money all the time.

Murraysville is ok but won't be for long. It's a shame because those areas used to be nice too.

Forum List

Back