$3.5T Not As Big As You Might Think

And correction once again.

Not 3, the actual number is 6 launchers.

PATRIOT operates in batteries of 6 launchers (which in turn operate in a Battalion of 4 batteries). In each one there are 5 PAC-2 launchers, and a single PAC-3 launcher. For a total of 36 missiles. The entire battery is linked together, and the operators can fire from any of those 6 launchers on command. And they can track hundreds of inbound targets at once. Even allocating the same launcher to target multiple inbounds.

In reality, the RADAR that it uses was closely related to the same system that the AEGIS class cruisers and destroyers use. And the systems were actually tested together when they were developed, the one in the AN/MPQ-53 RADAR set is simply smaller.

tsm1023__44733.1487258052.jpg

aegis-destroyer.png

When I was a guest of Raytheon after a very large sale to the Kingdom of Pac-2 in 2016, the demonstration used 3 missiles. But they did mention the load could be doubled.

When I was a guest of Raytheon after a very large sale to the Kingdom of Pac-2 in 2016, the demonstration used 3 missiles. But they did mention the load could be doubled.

I want to say the actual limit is 8, but at least for the US they always operate in batteries of 6 launchers. Other countries of course likely use different number for their configuration.

Forum List

Back