27,900 studies on guns, only 123 are actually rigorous studies, none of them show gun control works.......

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep......gun control research is generally only meant to push gun control........

Oh.....this.....but I thought they didn't let people do gun research anymore....

There has been a massive research effort going back decades to determine whether gun control measures work. A 2020 analysis by the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit research organization, parsed the results of 27,900 research publications on the effectiveness of gun control laws. From this vast body of work, the RAND authors found only 123 studies, or 0.4 percent, that tested the effects rigorously. Some of the other 27,777 studies may have been useful for non-empirical discussions, but many others were deeply flawed.
----
The 123 papers identified by RAND tested 722 separate hypotheses about the impact of gun control policies for "statistical significance." Peer-reviewed journals generally accept a result as statistically significant if it has a one-in-20 chance or less of being due to random chance.
------

Tellingly, the studies that have gotten the most media or legislative attention aren't among the 123 that met RAND's approval. The best studies made claims that were too mild, tenuous, and qualified to satisfy partisans and sensationalist media outlets. It was the worst studies, with the most outrageous claims, that made headlines.

This is always interesting.....

One widely influential study that has constantly resurfaced in headlines since it was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1993 concluded that, "rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance."

There are major problems with this study.

First of all, the researchers concluded that keeping a gun at home increases a person's risk of being killed, but nearly half the murders they included in their analysis were not committed with a firearm.

And among gun owners who were killed with a gun, the authors didn't establish whether the weapon used was the victim's own gun or if it belonged to another person.

Last edited:
More...

One example that Brown raises is the oft-repeated claim that “gun homicides” dropped by 40% after the state of Connecticut adopted a permit-to-purchase law requiring handgun owners to first receive a gun permit from their local police department. This was breathlessly reported back in 2015 by outlets like the Washington Post and repeated on Democratic debate stages in 2020, but Brown revealed some interesting parts of the study that weren’t widely reported and utterly discount that 40% statistic.

First, the drop in homicides in Connecticut wasn’t based on a comparison between previous years, or the United States as a whole. Instead, researchers crafted a “synthetic Connecticut” comprised of portions of Rhode Island, California, and several other states and compared those homicide totals to Connecticut’s post-permit murder rate. That’s bad enough, but what makes it egregiously worse is that the researcher’s own data showed that the “drop” in Connecticut’s murder rate was short-lived, and that within a few years the gun homicide rate in the real Connecticut was actually more than 40% higher than it was in the synthetic state dreamt up by the academics.

As Brown says, there are simply too many variables at play to ever be able to say with certainty that any particular gun law has had a particular effect on the violent crime rate.

Gun controllers don't care about victims of gun crime. Never have, never will.

They want people unable to defend themselves against leftist tyranny.

Armed people don't get on the boxcars.

Whew! Then we don't have to do ANYTHING to deal with our record-breaking gun homicide rate here in the US! That's a load off our minds, that's for sure! There for a bit I thought we were going to have to DO something about it!
Yay! Let's continue dying at unprecedented levels for a first world developed nation!!!

Gun controllers don't care about victims of gun crime. Never have, never will.

I love it when folks say that. It helps to realize that gun fetishists have insulated themselves from any sort of responsibility for dealing with the bad outcomes that come with their hobby.

They want people unable to defend themselves against leftist tyranny.

I don't know if you are aware of what kind of weapons the US Military has, but I'm guessing your .22 won't do much when faced with a .50 caliber or a tank, or just about anything they can randomly grab off the shelf. But by all means keep dreamin!

Armed people don't get on the boxcars.

Sure they do. Didn't you watch Von Ryan's Express?

I love it when folks say that. It helps to realize that gun fetishists have insulated themselves from any sort of responsibility for dealing with the bad outcomes that come with their hobby.
Have you cut off your dick to prevent other people from committing rape?
I don't know if you are aware of what kind of weapons the US Military has, but I'm guessing your .22 won't do much when faced with a .50 caliber or a tank, or just about anything they can randomly grab off the shelf. But by all means keep dreamin!
Oh, look! Another leftist who stupidly believes the US Military will fire upon Americans because he's butthurt.

That won't work out the way you believe, Skippy.

And you have no idea what weapons I may or may not have.
Sure they do. Didn't you watch Von Ryan's Express?
But who's going to herd them in? You?

Of course not. Leftists can't be bothered to do anything dangerous. You have a dental appointment that day.

So, you don't object to gun violence at all. You just want to outsource it and pick out the targets.

Whew! Then we don't have to do ANYTHING to deal with our record-breaking gun homicide rate here in the US! That's a load off our minds, that's for sure! There for a bit I thought we were going to have to DO something about it!
Yay! Let's continue dying at unprecedented levels for a first world developed nation!!!
You need to go out and take the guns away from people. Start with the gang-bangers. Report back on your progress.

Forum List

Back