$243 Million Dollars spent for a joy ride into space.What a waste.

Yeah. And, apparently, people will always be whining about it.
For sure. However there is a more foreboding future for them. As automation reaches into their jobs there won't be much left - autonomous garbage trucks; fully automated fast food; automation in fruit picking; autonomous buses & taxis; 3-D printed homes .....

The cost of anything you would find in a department store today is determined by only two things: cost of labor and cost of energy. Labor costs are being whittled by automation and energy will continue to get more expensive due to cartels and cost of resource extraction (See EROEI).

For sure. However there is a more foreboding future for them. As automation reaches into their jobs there won't be much left - autonomous garbage trucks; fully automated fast food; automation in fruit picking; autonomous buses & taxis; 3-D printed homes .....

The cost of anything you would find in a department store today is determined by only two things: cost of labor and cost of energy. Labor costs are being whittled by automation and energy will continue to get more expensive due to cartels and cost of resource extraction (See EROEI).

mkay

Interesting. Are you saying there will always be poor people, regardless?
Prolly not everywhere in the quantities that would hurt as poverty and extreme poverty. AFAIK, world poverty has declined, but there are those who still need much help. The problem as I see it is the poor want the government to provide more jobs, infrastructure (sanitation, roads, housing, etc.) food, health care, and a living wage. The government can't do it all when the poor can't improve themselves through education.

Bottom line: It's a two-way street.

Because 44% of people don't make a living wage.

America's unemployment rate is at a half-century low, but it also has a job-quality problem that affects nearly half the population, with a study finding 44% of U.S. workers are employed in low-wage jobs that pay median annual wages of $18,000.
What do you people think will happen when you force business to increase wages ? Do you believe companies are just going to eat that loss ? What happens to the people who are already making the wage you want to raise others to ? Do we keep raising everyone's wages until they can no longer afford the goods and services they are producing ?

For those of us who don't live in lefty fantasy world we realize that business will either stop hiring and or expanding, move jobs overseas, or raise the cost of their goods and services. No fucking change except those who lose their jobs will be able to live off those who still have one.

Don't you think unskilled low paying jobs will always exist?

Of course they will.

How much skill and education does it take to make hamburgers in a fast food place? Or pump the gas at a gas station? Not exactly high skilled work there, what other wage should somebody expect for that? Such jobs will always exist.

Unless it reaches the point where the cost of the labor by artificial means makes it so expensive, that companies invest in machines to replace those workers. You see, here is the real secret. Companies in those types of jobs hire low skilled people, because it is cheaper than machines. Raise the wages to "living wages", and that is not economically sustainable. So the company changes.

We already see part of that in states where minimum wage is high. In Texas, most fast food places have 5-8+ employees at all times. That is 5-8 people with jobs. In California and Oregon where wages are high, the same places make do with only 2-3 employees. That means 3-5 people without jobs. And you have had companies working hard in recent years in ways to automate fast food production even more. If it keeps at this rate, places like California and Oregon and other states with a high minimum wage may see fast food places with only 1 person working the kitchen.

As automation reaches into their jobs there won't be much left

Here is the thing a lot of people miss.

Automation does not just come on its own. There has to be a driving economic reason behind it. In most cases, it is "can we design, build, and use a machine that is cheaper than a human?"

In many industries, that is exactly what happened. Especially the auto industry, then many auto workers were making insanely high wages for the skills required. SO there was an incentive to replace them with machines. Stocking and inventory at large companies like Amazon have since followed. Once again, because the cost of the wages were lower than the cost of automation.

And with high wages in some states, expect automation to take even more jobs. Not because companies are greedy, but there has to be a profit or there is no reason to stay in business. You close up so nobody has a job, or you replace some workers with machines.

Want to stop that from happening, then make it affordable to have more employees, and more cost effective to keep humans employed.

I did work fast food 40 years ago. We had on average 10 employees during the main day shift in the early 1980's in a Burger King. The wage was low, and all who wanted could do 40 hours a week, no problem. But as the wage rose more and more outside of inflation, they started to cut employees. Why hire 4 to do a job, when you can get by on 2? And even worse, states like California generally set the limit you can hire somebody "part-time" and not give them benefits at around 20-30 hours a week. So now it is not only less employees, they are working less hours on top of that.

However, notice that is only for unskilled minimum education jobs. In doing skilled work, I rarely had problems in getting full time and benefits, and a good wage.

Don't want a minimum wage job? Then make sure you have something other than minimum wage skills.

What do you people think will happen when you force business to increase wages ?
Inflation. People will be happy until the prices of everything rise until 44% of people don't make a living wage again and left with an economy that is messed up. c'est la vie.

Of course they will..............etc.
Here is the thing a lot of people miss...............etc.
That is more or less what I said.

I might add that automation has a longer "attention span", doesn't need medical benefits, vacation time, can work both day and night shifts.

When I was in electronic manufacturing automation the quest was 6 sigma accuracy. That is the point where "lights out" manufacturing can occur - no personnel during the night shift. That requires autonomous error detection and correction.

Inflation. People will be happy until the prices of everything rise until 44% of people don't make a living wage again and left with an economy that is messed up. c'est la vie.

And people losing their jobs. The elite on the left will be happy to let the Government take care of you. I'm a Veteran I know how the Fed takes care of people, it fucking sucks.

And people losing their jobs. The elite on the left will be happy to let the Government take care of you. I'm a Veteran I know how the Fed takes care of people, it fucking sucks.
I read about that in the main stream media a lot. I don't know if Fox or RW media cover it, but yes it sucks. It seems that neither party is interested.

Forum List

Back