2022 Garden

Finally planted the last of my hot pepper seedlings. I hope the deer eat them. Last thing I need is 60 more hot pepper plants. I just couldn't resist growing them from seed as an experiment and overdid times three.

Lettuce doing okay this year which is the first time I have gotten lettuce to do much in about three years. My spring onions and garlic planted last fall all failed. Never happened before. Must have been the weird spring weather where we went from 40's to mid 90's back down into the 40's again back into the 90's before we settled for normal temps (along with tons of rain throughout).

We're waiting for cooler weather to plant. It is too hot here for most veggies other than okra and out of okra seeds.

3DDD4650-C341-47EF-A069-D228E631D6B1.jpeg

Actually, links to a baker's dozen of articles. Might be a bit late for this season, but there's always the next to plan for.

How to Start Gardening: A Beginner’s Guide​

Before you buy those seeds or pull out the shovel, read up on the essential plans and skills you’ll need for your first (or first successful) garden.​

So ours began about first of April with a rental of a "bobcat" type excavator on a couple of weekends to clear turf, brush and other areas of our backyard. Basically get down to dirt. Pushing the sod lumps to the side. Also included digging the trench for the hugelkulture mound and then filling and building it up after putting brush, branches, and compost in it.

Next getting and placing straw bales for the part of garden where the tomato, tomatillo, and pepper starts will go. Starts were from seeds and got 'started' inside under grow lights, etc.

There was also a bit of corrugated cardboard to lay down, also to cover with compost and topsoil for the "layer"/"lasagna' garden areas. Same also applied to overlay the hugelkulture mound.

Also some preliminary start for the hole to be the wildlife pond. And some raised beds set and started also.

This is bringing us into mid to late May when starts and seeds are being planted in various garden plots and the straw bales.

We now have about 2-3 times the area in garden/planting as we've had in past years.

Wildlife pond is close to complete with plants, and goldfish. Bog pond/garden will be done soon and that is intended home for frogs, salamanders, and assorted plants wanting/needing wet ground.

We've harvest some greens, turnips, cucs, and tomatoes already. Have lots more on the way. The shell bean crop shows potential of being about 2-3 times as much as in past years so looking forward to that addition to the larder. Have interspersed corn in the bean rows to serve as living stakes for the climbers.

May try putting up pictures in near future.

Actually, links to a baker's dozen of articles. Might be a bit late for this season, but there's always the next to plan for.

How to Start Gardening: A Beginner’s Guide​

Before you buy those seeds or pull out the shovel, read up on the essential plans and skills you’ll need for your first (or first successful) garden.​

still a good 2-3 months left in most of the country so some short term plants should do fine..

I have been told that my jalapenos are extra hot this year for some reason. IDK cause eyes don't eats them. Last year it was my cayenne peppers that were lava hot

Just did a dozen jars of pickled hot peppers. My nasal passages are about to supernova. Whatever comes in between now and the frost will be given away or composted. I am done with those bastards for the year.

Oregon Man Over Seeds Lawn With Clover and the Result Is Pretty Stunning​

This is a great idea, especially for those in rural areas who have chickens. they love clover. love clover. I was just giving our biddies some clover a couple days ago, what I could find that is, since fall is here.

Planted fall garden with Lettuce, collards, turnips and mustard greens.
Didn't know we were out of cabbage till we took seeds out of freezer.

We started artichokes this year and wanted to save the plants over winter, so we are trying the first method mentioned here;
Dear members and supporters of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF),

Artichoke Winter Care: Learn About Overwintering Artichoke Plants​

^^^^ The "Planet" is doing just fine. Did so long before humans were here, and will do so even when we are gone.

The biosphere might be another issue, but so far the claimed "damage" isn't as great as the 'chicken littles' whine it is.

Still, nothing like planting and working a garden to get closer to "Nature" and understand the connectivity of all life, Flora and Fauna, and where you can positively affect such. And source yourself some healthy food.

Forum List

Back