2021 Garden Thread

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Planted potatoes and a handful of green onions this week. Hope to get the rest of the onions out over the next couple weeks. Rain has been keeping it too wet to do much.

Feel free to post your 2021 garden adventures and questions hereinbelow.

Three tall pines were defrocked by 5 small tornados that stormed on the 1500' north fence that borders my small farm. Yesterday, the men finally felled the one that wasn't taken out by half and has been a stalwart but naked tree trunk a hundred feet high. They fell on 3 areas of the lovely aqua blue wooden horse fence I had painted years ago. While I was taking felled rotted tree debris to the burn pile, I noticed a blackberry patch had grown over a pile of rotted branches between Freedom Lake and the damaged fence. It was so beautiful it was a garden all by itself, but the petals will be gone in 10 days, more or less, and replaced by tiny green berries that will be black in 3 or 4 weeks after that. I was surprised to see such beautiful, large white petals out in the wild in a place I hadn't seen blackberries growing before. Most of the wild blackberries put out flowers between 2 to 3 centimeters, but this one had blossoms 4 to 5 cms wide. I just hope the blackberries will be good and plump, so I checked the 10 day weather for our zipcode, and 8 of those days are foreseen as rainy. That will hopefully result in a large, sweet batch of plump berries for a pie or jelly.

This one will be God's garden. I planted a better boy tomato plant and a row of Rutger tomato seeds, buttercrunch lettuce, a 5 ft
row, and likewise, a row of radishes. It's been a little too wet to complete three days of tilling the greater garden, so the corn, beans, et all may have to wait until we have consecutive dry days.

Hope everyone who likes to garden has bumper crops and fair blue ribbon fruits, veggies, and flowers. :huddle: Good night!

Still in the phytocide period of the gardening cycle ... murdering weeds in cold-sap ... the feline defenders have been to lazy to bother to stop me yet this year ... warmer weather next week so I'm assuming claws and teeth face me then ...

Lettuce and peas are up, will be planting potatoes and onions tomorrow, and some annuals ... marking the spring bulbs for transplant this summer ... still need to replant a maple that pasted away last year ...

"I honestly don't know who's been surreptitiously planting daffodils around the neighborhood, your honor ..."

Three tall pines were defrocked by 5 small tornados that stormed on the 1500' north fence that borders my small farm. Yesterday, the men finally felled the one that wasn't taken out by half and has been a stalwart but naked tree trunk a hundred feet high. They fell on 3 areas of the lovely aqua blue wooden horse fence I had painted years ago. While I was taking felled rotted tree debris to the burn pile, I noticed a blackberry patch had grown over a pile of rotted branches between Freedom Lake and the damaged fence. It was so beautiful it was a garden all by itself, but the petals will be gone in 10 days, more or less, and replaced by tiny green berries that will be black in 3 or 4 weeks after that. I was surprised to see such beautiful, large white petals out in the wild in a place I hadn't seen blackberries growing before. Most of the wild blackberries put out flowers between 2 to 3 centimeters, but this one had blossoms 4 to 5 cms wide. I just hope the blackberries will be good and plump, so I checked the 10 day weather for our zipcode, and 8 of those days are foreseen as rainy. That will hopefully result in a large, sweet batch of plump berries for a pie or jelly.

This one will be God's garden. I planted a better boy tomato plant and a row of Rutger tomato seeds, buttercrunch lettuce, a 5 ft
row, and likewise, a row of radishes. It's been a little too wet to complete three days of tilling the greater garden, so the corn, beans, et all may have to wait until we have consecutive dry days.

Hope everyone who likes to garden has bumper crops and fair blue ribbon fruits, veggies, and flowers. :huddle: Good night!
We get a lot of big blackberries here too if the birds don't eat them first.

When you plant beans do you soak them in water overnight first ?
And what other seeds do you start indoors if any ?

I'm off to a late start for my area but will send progress pics later in the summer.
20210328_005810_HDR.jpg

I can't garden like you all can. I keep things alive a little bit longer every year but......I'm still the plant killa'.
Plant 1 plant (your favorite veggie or strawberry plant) in a dollar store waste basket. Put it by your potty's closest sunny window along with a small misting bottle. That way, you will not fail to see your favorite plant blessing you with your bestest food that you can take to the kitchen to wash and steam or jell when it is ready. Have a best moment list and worst mistake list. That way, you will teach yourself about caring daily for a living plant that gives and gives and gives some more. If it gets root rot, it will teach you to reduce water next year. You can increase your yield if you get a daylight bulb at a garden center, that if run by a mom and pop owner, you can get tips for free and avoid plant death altogether. If you don't like the thought of root rot, though, put half a dozen or so cookout charcoal balls in the bottom of your container before putting potting soil or dirt mixed with a little plant food and sphagnum moss. Charcoal is not loved by fungi and molds. A year of container gardening will help you develop the faithfulness and enthusiasm you will earn by making a success out of a container or two of whatever it is you really love first. Then outside gardening will be in your nature for life. Just because you're at this thread, you likely will be winning best of show ribbons at the nearest county fair where you can see what others have done to improve bon appetite with their own green thumbs. I am now going to go and stand in the corner because you are likely a far better farmer at heart than silly me. :lmao:

We get a lot of big blackberries here too if the birds don't eat them first.

When you plant beans do you soak them in water overnight first ?
And what other seeds do you start indoors if any ?
Depends on whether there is no chance of frost and if you rotate areas you plant beans or other legumes every year making sure not to plant them in the same space for 3 or 4 years if possible. Since that would be difficult if you only have a small area to plant, you could just replace the topsoil with a few bags of organic topsoil or enriched stuff like Miracle Grow planting soil. They say every seven years you should let growing lands go fallow for a full welcome weeds year. My fellow year was year before last. The northwest corner hay field had some tough customers move in, but a little fall tilling got rid of the invaders.

Not much can be put outside here in Zone 5 yet. Yesterday I put in potatoes though. I got a new grow light and started lettuce inside!

I can't garden like you all can. I keep things alive a little bit longer every year but......I'm still the plant killa'.
Plant 1 plant (your favorite veggie or strawberry plant) in a dollar store waste basket. Put it by your potty's closest sunny window along with a small misting bottle. That way, you will not fail to see your favorite plant blessing you with your bestest food that you can take to the kitchen to wash and steam or jell when it is ready. Have a best moment list and worst mistake list. That way, you will teach yourself about caring daily for a living plant that gives and gives and gives some more. If it gets root rot, it will teach you to reduce water next year. You can increase your yield if you get a daylight bulb at a garden center, that if run by a mom and pop owner, you can get tips for free and avoid plant death altogether. If you don't like the thought of root rot, though, put half a dozen or so cookout charcoal balls in the bottom of your container before putting potting soil or dirt mixed with a little plant food and sphagnum moss. Charcoal is not loved by fungi and molds. A year of container gardening will help you develop the faithfulness and enthusiasm you will earn by making a success out of a container or two of whatever it is you really love first. Then outside gardening will be in your nature for life. Just because you're at this thread, you likely will be winning best of show ribbons at the nearest county fair where you can see what others have done to improve bon appetite with their own green thumbs. I am now going to go and stand in the corner because you are likely a far better farmer at heart than silly me. :lmao:

You mean like a regular old charcoal thing that you put in a BBQ grill?

Last edited:
Oh ... forgot ... we have around 3,826,473,275 snails and slugs in our garden area ... hungry this time of year ... I soak a handful of cigarette butts in water, filter, add a little dish soap and mist all my vulnerable young tasty plants every other day ... or right after it rains ... if you're squeamish, you can use either peppermint tea or just skip the tea altogether ... the dish soap is effective enough ...

I have a feral blackberry patch growing in one of my ornamental beds. I will probably rip them out after this year as I think this will be the first year they are able to produce. I usually let the wildlife have the berries on those as I don't ever get enough to do anything with despite them growing all over the place around here.

Planted a few dozen more green onions at the crack of dawn to try to beat the coming rain. Not much else going on. Not even sure why I plant so many green onions now that the Egyption ones are walking all over the place. Habit I guess.

same here
Too cold. We are having a freeze and frost a few days. Here we have "winter onion" plant late fall like garlic, small like a shallot. Excellent small onion. No walk or spread.
it's too cold we keep getting snow flurries. We are going to plant veggies and flowers. My boyfriend only wants veggies but his mom is going to plant flowers with me because I love flowers. lol

it's too cold we keep getting snow flurries. We are going to plant veggies and flowers. My boyfriend only wants veggies but his mom is going to plant flowers with me because I love flowers. lol

It's getting better here. Had to use AC yesterday but today is cool. Just hope no more frosts. I do flowers every year too. New place has lots, lots lilys, roses, tulips, daffs, all kinds flowering bushes and trees. Very pretty now. Red Bud is out and Dogwoods starting to bloom.

same here
Too cold. We are having a freeze and frost a few days. Here we have "winter onion" plant late fall like garlic, small like a shallot. Excellent small onion. No walk or spread.

Let him know that the flower will draw in the beneficial insects that he needs for his veggies. I plant both.

Just as I feared---got my live plants in the ground and now it is supposed to frost the next two nights.

Forum List

Back