2 police officers charged with kidnapping, beating handcuffed homeless man

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
Two former south Florida police officers handcuffed a homeless man last month and drove him to an isolated area where they beat him unconscious, prosecutors alleged Thursday.

According to Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, Hialeah city officers Rafael Otano and Lorenzo Ofila, who have since been fired, were responding to a disturbance at a bakery shortly after 5 p.m. on Dec. 17, when they encountered 50-year-old Jose Ortega Gutierrez, a homeless man who often roamed the area and was familiar to the officers.

Ofila, 22, allegedly handcuffed Ortega Gutierrez and placed him in the back of his marked police car, said Fernandez Rundle and claimed surveillance footage from the area provided no evidence that supported detaining him

Instead of booking Ortega Gutierrez into the local jail, Ofila and Otano, 27, allegedly drove him six miles, with their emergency lights flashing, to "an isolated and dark location, against his will," Fernandez Rundle said at a news conference.

Once there, the officers allegedly threw Gutierrez, who was still handcuffed, to the ground and beat him, she said, noting that Gutierrez later testified he woke up alone, un-handcuffed, and bleeding from the head.

It just amazes me when I hear folks saying, "oh this only happens every blue moon".

Florida cops are extremely violent and deadly.
My sister lived in an area right next to Hileah, and she had her condo on the 10 floor RAIDED for no reason! They just picked her place at random, and TRASHED her condo with both my toddler nephews watching all this!

They found her stash of rent money and STOLE it, then threatened to kill the kids if she said anything to anybody about it.

They ALL need to be beheaded the Mideval way!!!

"oh this only happens every blue moon".
It does when you consider how many interactions they have yearly.
However, it shouldnt happen at all.
This shit right here seems super weird to me though. Driving him off, beating him and leaving him there?
But then again, the govt fucks us every day of our life and they still have people like you that will defend them to the death. Just not cops, for some reason. IDK,. weird

This shit right here seems super weird to me though. Driving him off, beating him and leaving him there?

But then again, the govt fucks us every day of our life and they still have people like you that will defend them to the death. Just not cops, for some reason. IDK,. weird

How in the f... am I defending them?

Two former south Florida police officers handcuffed a homeless man last month and drove him to an isolated area where they beat him unconscious, prosecutors alleged Thursday.

According to Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, Hialeah city officers Rafael Otano and Lorenzo Ofila, who have since been fired, were responding to a disturbance at a bakery shortly after 5 p.m. on Dec. 17, when they encountered 50-year-old Jose Ortega Gutierrez, a homeless man who often roamed the area and was familiar to the officers.

Ofila, 22, allegedly handcuffed Ortega Gutierrez and placed him in the back of his marked police car, said Fernandez Rundle and claimed surveillance footage from the area provided no evidence that supported detaining him

Instead of booking Ortega Gutierrez into the local jail, Ofila and Otano, 27, allegedly drove him six miles, with their emergency lights flashing, to "an isolated and dark location, against his will," Fernandez Rundle said at a news conference.

Once there, the officers allegedly threw Gutierrez, who was still handcuffed, to the ground and beat him, she said, noting that Gutierrez later testified he woke up alone, un-handcuffed, and bleeding from the head.

It just amazes me when I hear folks saying, "oh this only happens every blue moon".
Not surprised this was in Miami-Dade

Did you catch this in your first link?

Toronto homeless man ID'd as victim in alleged fatal 'swarming' attack by 8 girls​

IKR! What is this, your third or fourth article TODAY on the EXACT same type of incident!

He'd be cool with it if the cops vaxxed the guy

Your ilk said it very rarely happens.
tragically it does. but out of how many interactions do you think police have with citizens a day across this country?

and what there are a handful of times it happens in these liberal run cities? so what percentage of interactions does this happen?

tragically it does. but out of how many interactions do you think police have with citizens a day across this country?
Tragically black folks have been experiencing this since America was founded.
and what there are a handful of times it happens in these liberal run cities? so what percentage of interactions does this happen?
The police who are brutalizing folks have the mindset of the sheet wearers, always have and always will. It's not surprising that you would come out and try to defend police brutality because the main folks on the receiving end are black. Are you telling me that the slave patrol was liberals as well.

Tragically black folks have been experiencing this since America was founded.

The police who are brutalizing folks have the mindset of the sheet wearers, always have and always will. It's not surprising that you would come out and try to defend police brutality because the main folks on the receiving end are black. Are you telling me that the slave patrol was liberals as well.
i just asked for some numbers, you said it was frequent. i don’t think it is…does it happen? obviously but there are far more good cops then bad.

no i don’t think typical black folk are getting beat to death today…it was far more common when the dems controlled a larger area, i agree

Forum List

Back