1971 Marlin/Glenfield Model 75 .22 Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up this excellent 1971 Marlin/Glenfield .22 semi-auto this morning. It came with a .75" steel tube Weaver V-22 3 X 6 scope of the same vintage, also in excellent shape. It's a 11 shot tube-fed with a 18" barrel.

It had a M1907 .mil type 1" Hunter sling on it but I removed it in favor of a simple adjustable 1" strap.

m 001 (2).JPG

The Glenfield line was Marlin's economy line that used a stained hardwood stock instead of walnut. They were mostly made for and sold by Sears & Roebuck.

I took it apart for cleaning and to check the buffer and it's GTG. These little Model 60 variants are usually very accurate for a semi-auto, more so than the Ruger 10-22 which was it's main competition at the time. IMHO they handle a lot better too as far as a hunting rifle goes.

I had that same .22 when I was a kid

It was fun to shoot

I had one too. I bought it at a Holiday gas station store for $34.95.
I gave $125.00 for this one and was glad to get it for that price given both the rifle's and scope's condition.

The rifle goes for around $200.00 or so. Anything with a JM on the barrel has become desirable.

I suspect I could get near $100.00 just for the V22 scope.

I gave $125.00 for this one and was glad to get it for that price given both the rifle's and scope's condition.

The rifle goes for around $200.00 or so. Anything with a JM on the barrel has become desirable.

I suspect I could get near $100.00 just for the V22 scope.
$34.95 from 1969 in today's money equals $254. So you got a great deal!
It's a great little semi-auto squirrel rifle. The only drawback that I remember is that the dove clamps for the scope were wimpy. It would sight in easily and be spot on, but if you bumped the rifle, the scope would go off.

$34.95 from 1969 in today's money equals $254. So you got a great deal!
It's a great little semi-auto squirrel rifle. The only drawback that I remember is that the dove clamps for the scope were wimpy. It would sight in easily and be spot on, but if you bumped the rifle, the scope would go off.
Perhaps you got one of the little Tasco .22 scopes that used to come with them. They were Marlin branded but made by Tasco and yeah they were weak. The issue with those is that the very thin metal clamp plate could be easily bent by over-torqueing, rendering it useless.

No such problems with the all steel Weaver tip-off rings. I've had those same rings on a couple of .22s for going on 50 years and they still hold zero just fine. :)

Great find, love them.

Lets see what the Ruger acquisition of Marlin from Remington will do. They got the 1895 out, like to see some 22's.

Great find, love them.

Lets see what the Ruger acquisition of Marlin from Remington will do. They got the 1895 out, like to see some 22's.
They are pretty much vaperware at this point, everyone that is getting them is putting them on GunPorker starting a $1400.00+....The sold prices right now are plan stupid. I guess everyone wants to get their Wind River/Jurassic Park on.

They can keep them even at the $1200.00 retail price. I have plenty of real JM Marlins from .22 to .45-70.

They are pretty much vaperware at this point, everyone that is getting them is putting them on GunPorker starting a $1400.00+....The sold prices right now are plan stupid. I guess everyone wants to get their Wind River/Jurassic Park on.

They can keep them even at the $1200.00 retail price. I have plenty of real JM Marlins from .22 to .45-70.
For that price I agree. GB is getting as bad as gunshows.

Rifleman had an article on the 1895 and the takeover. Retail wasn't far from $1300. I have had a few guide guns, nice. But not at that price.

I have a Remington 514 that I've had since I was a kid. Early 50's vintage, I think my grandpa gave about $20 for it new. I bagged a lot of grouse and wild pigeons in the alder thickets with this little single-shot. :biggrin:

I could never bring myself to drill it for a scope or even a sling. The complete simplicity is what I love most about it.

It's as much fun to shoot now as ever, and it won't burn a hole in the wallet either!

22lr.jpg

Check it out, it came with one of those fancy sights you got on that recent Model 60.

gun.jpg

Forum List

Back