1883 on Paramount

It is certainly better than the first season of 2023, the second installment of the Dutton family saga but I have hopes for the 2nd season.
The reason I didn't care to watch Yellowstone but loved 1883 is I love that era. I love stories of how the west was won.

What year was America "settled"? When were Indians finally no longer a threat? When were bandits all rounded up and killed or locked up? Must be around 1900?

The reason I didn't care to watch Yellowstone but loved 1883 is I love that era. I love stories of how the west was won.

What year was America "settled"? When were Indians finally no longer a threat? When were bandits all rounded up and killed or locked up? Must be around 1900?
There have been over 5,000 western movies made and over 95% were set between 1850 and 1900 and most of them were set in 70s and 80's.

Keep in mind that the depiction of the old west in TV and movies is a far cry from reality. While settlers greatest fear of death was from a variety of causes along the trail: lack of food or water, Indian attacks, accidents, or rattlesnake bit, most people died of disease related to unsanitary conditions. Surprisingly, one major causes of death of settlers on the Great Plains was suicide. Loneliness, despair, and mental illness were common.

Most people did not own guns due their cost. Farmers usually could not afford them. Cowboys were likely to have guns but not all of them. Gunfights where two fast guns faced off in the streets were created in dime western novels. There is little evidence that any such fair gun fight ever occur. Most people that died from gunshot were either ambushed or were accidently shot. Wyatt Earp in an interview in 1900 was asked how did he apprehend most criminals. He said, that if he knew he was going to have to use his gun, he would always draw it first. You never give them a chance to draw a gun on you. If you have to shoot one, the safest way is to shoot them in the back.

Indian attacks on wagon trains were very rare. Contrary to popular belief, wagons were seldom circled defensively. The trails that wagons trains followed were narrow and well trodden so wagons stayed on the trail to avoid getting stuck, even at night.

What was true about the Old West was that it was a pretty bad place to live. Farmers and ranchers worked from dawn to dust making very little money. Some literally starved to death. Most of the towns were filthy with no law enforcement. The town general store was often the focal point for residents, farmers, and travelers. A saloon was common as was a blacksmith, and a town whore. Doctors, demists, lawyers, churches, clothing stores, and restaurants were not. Most towns that were not at a crossroads of two or more major trails or a railroad stop, became ghost towns in the early twentieth century.

Last edited:
There have been over 5,000 western movies made and over 95% were set between 1850 and 1900 and most of them were set in 70s and 80's.

Keep in mind that the depiction of the old west in TV and movies is a far cry from reality. While settlers greatest fear of death was from a variety of causes along the trail: lack of food or water, Indian attacks, accidents, or rattlesnake bit, most people died of disease related to unsanitary conditions. Surprisingly, one major causes of death of settlers on the Great Plains was suicide. Loneliness, despair, and mental illness were common.

Most people did not own guns due their cost. Farmers usually could not afford them. Cowboys were likely to have guns but not all of them. Gunfights where two fast guns faced off in the streets were created in dime western novels. There is little evidence that any such fair gun fight ever occur. Most people that died from gunshot were either ambushed or were accidently shot. Wyatt Earp in an interview in 1900 was asked how did he apprehend most criminals. He said, that if he knew he was going to have to use his gun, he would always draw it first. You never give them a chance to draw a gun on you. If you have to shoot one, the safest way is to shoot them in the back.

Indian attacks on wagon trains were very rare. Contrary to popular belief, wagons were seldom circled defensively. The trails that wagons trains followed were narrow and well trodden so wagons stayed on the trail to avoid getting stuck, even at night.

What was true about the Old West was that it was a pretty bad place to live. Farmers and ranchers worked from dawn to dust making very little money. Some literally starved to death. Most of the towns were filthy with no law enforcement. The town general store was often the focal point for residents, farmers, and travelers. A saloon was common as was a blacksmith, and a town whore. Doctors, demists, lawyers, churches, clothing stores, and restaurants were not. Most towns that were not at a crossroads of two or more major trails or a railroad stop, became ghost towns in the early twentieth century.
You're ruining it! LOL.

I find it funny that people died going out west because of unsanitary conditions. You would think out in the great outdoors it would be clean and the people dying of unsanitary conditions would be the people living in the cities or towns.

But it makes sense. If I don't wipe my ass after I take a poop I feel dirty. They didn't have toilet paper or wet wipes back then or showers to clean off.

You're ruining it! LOL.

I find it funny that people died going out west because of unsanitary conditions. You would think out in the great outdoors it would be clean and the people dying of unsanitary conditions would be the people living in the cities or towns.

But it makes sense. If I don't wipe my ass after I take a poop I feel dirty. They didn't have toilet paper or wet wipes back then or showers to clean off.
It's a lot more that than having toilet paper. Many settlers took soap and disinfectants with them but when it ran out they had to make their own or do without. There were no supermarkets on the way. And once you left the jumping off places in Missouri and Kansas doctors, dentist, and pharmacy were very rare. People often died from tooth abbesses, gangrene, tetanus, and simple infections that went untreated. These illnesses could have been effectively treated or prevent in the East where there were plenty of doctors, demists, and pharmacies. Settlers either worked or died, so when family members became ill, there was little time for nursing. Typically, a person who became very ill, got little nursing care, medicines, or professional help. They simple took to their bed waiting to die or recover.

Also, one of the major problems in the west was diet. Most of the early westerner had diets that were primarily carbohydrates, with practically no fruit and few vegetables. Corn, beams, wheat, and potatoes were the major crops. For most settlers beef and pork was hard to come by so most meat came from hunted game, rabbits, squirrels, rodents, and an occasional deer. Starvation and malnutrition was common.

For early settlers, the west was not a good place to live. There was few job so one had survive based on their skills but the problem was so many people who went west had few skills. Factory workers had to farm even thou they had no experience farming. Those that followed in the early 20th century did very well by comparison, prospering due largely to those who came before them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back