$15 hour minimum wage on the ballot for Florida

Seems Morgan and Morgan a high powered attorney office want the minimum wage brought up to $15 an hour.

Holy shit. I make a little more than that and have a professional job. Some burger flipper will be making as much as I do. I can already see the price of everything going up, up and up.
$25 per hour is self-sufficiency in Florida, the wage needed to afford shelter and basic necessities. $15 is perfectly appropriate and warranted.

What happens when businesses are forced to pay people $15 an hour for $9 worth of added value?

He doesn't care. I guess he's to stupid to realize no one would hire if they had to pay that as minimum wage. Hell he thinks $25 should be the minimum wage.

No one was ever supposed to earn a living at minimum wage. Hell that was for kids during summer break.
That's not true, it was created as a minimum living wage

The fight to raise the minimum wage is being waged across the country, and has been for years. As workers and activists in New York fight for $15, citizens in Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles are already seeing increases in their paychecks.

But all along the way, there are critics arguing that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage, but rather, an entry-level wage. You were always, they argue, supposed to work your way out of it.

“The minimum wage was never intended to be a ‘living wage,’ on which one could support oneself let alone a family,” opined Lowell Kalapa, President of the Tax Foundation of Hawaii, in an op-ed a few years ago.

“Read history!” implored one commenter on a Pew Research piece about the minimum wage. “Jobs are important and we’re not business oriented enough to allow small businesses to hire more folk. The minimum wage is NOT a living wage. It’s a place to get experience, but the new generation is too lazy to try.”

Of course, if the commenter, himself, had “read history,” he would see that, in fact, the minimum wage was always supposed to be a living wage. In fact, to argue that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage is completely anachronistic.

In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

A federal minimum wage wouldn’t be permanently mandated until 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the same bill which prohibited child labor and limited the workweek to 44 hours. Even then, the idea was the same: ensure that businesses have to a) pay people for the work that they do, and b) that the payment is at least enough to live on.

“Without question,” explained FDR, “[the minimum wage] starts us toward a better standard of living and increases purchasing power to buy the products of farm and factory.”

That phrase, “purchasing power,” is the lynchpin. By attaching purchasing power as an idea to the minimum wage, its creator was clearly stating that this wasn’t a wage just for teenagers with summer jobs, as many modern-day critics will imply. Requiring employers to pay a living wage was designed to make sure that everyone could live as long as they worked full time.

No. Its minimum wage and no one was ever meant to survive on it. Its a place to start. You get hired at minimum wage and work your way up. I've done it many times.
That is NOT TRUE Claudette, that is made up, revisionist history... the minimum wage was created as a LIVING WAGE.

Seems Morgan and Morgan a high powered attorney office want the minimum wage brought up to $15 an hour.

Holy shit. I make a little more than that and have a professional job. Some burger flipper will be making as much as I do. I can already see the price of everything going up, up and up.
$25 per hour is self-sufficiency in Florida, the wage needed to afford shelter and basic necessities. $15 is perfectly appropriate and warranted.

What happens when businesses are forced to pay people $15 an hour for $9 worth of added value?

He doesn't care. I guess he's to stupid to realize no one would hire if they had to pay that as minimum wage. Hell he thinks $25 should be the minimum wage.

No one was ever supposed to earn a living at minimum wage. Hell that was for kids during summer break.

The fight to raise the minimum wage is being waged across the country, and has been for years. As workers and activists in New York fight for $15, citizens in Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles are already seeing increases in their paychecks.

But all along the way, there are critics arguing that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage, but rather, an entry-level wage. You were always, they argue, supposed to work your way out of it.

“The minimum wage was never intended to be a ‘living wage,’ on which one could support oneself let alone a family,” opined Lowell Kalapa, President of the Tax Foundation of Hawaii, in an op-ed a few years ago.

“Read history!” implored one commenter on a Pew Research piece about the minimum wage. “Jobs are important and we’re not business oriented enough to allow small businesses to hire more folk. The minimum wage is NOT a living wage. It’s a place to get experience, but the new generation is too lazy to try.”

Of course, if the commenter, himself, had “read history,” he would see that, in fact, the minimum wage was always supposed to be a living wage. In fact, to argue that the minimum wage was never supposed to be a living wage is completely anachronistic.

In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

A federal minimum wage wouldn’t be permanently mandated until 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the same bill which prohibited child labor and limited the workweek to 44 hours. Even then, the idea was the same: ensure that businesses have to a) pay people for the work that they do, and b) that the payment is at least enough to live on.

“Without question,” explained FDR, “[the minimum wage] starts us toward a better standard of living and increases purchasing power to buy the products of farm and factory.”

That phrase, “purchasing power,” is the lynchpin. By attaching purchasing power as an idea to the minimum wage, its creator was clearly stating that this wasn’t a wage just for teenagers with summer jobs, as many modern-day critics will imply. Requiring employers to pay a living wage was designed to make sure that everyone could live as long as they worked full time.

No. Its minimum wage and no one was ever meant to survive on it. Its a place to start. You get hired at minimum wage and work your way up. I've done it many times.
That is NOT TRUE Claudette, that is made up, revisionist history... the minimum wage was created as a LIVING WAGE.

Nope. It was created as a starter wage. Once hired you worked you way up. No one was ever supposed to support themselves on minimum wage.

Just because they call Wal Mart employees "associates", it doesn't make those jobs "proffessional".

Let me put it in a way that even simpletons can understand: If your "professional job" pays little more than 15 bucks an hour, it is not a professional job.

Just because they call Wal Mart employees "associates", it doesn't make those jobs "proffessional".

Let me put it in a way that even simpletons can understand: If your "professional job" pays little more than 15 bucks an hour, it is not a professional job.

Well it is to me and not to many can do the job I do.

Oh they can train for it, but most wouldn't want it.

Nope. It was created as a starter wage. Once hired you worked you way up. No one was ever supposed to support themselves on minimum wage.
You are wrong, just read the HISTORY of it....

You are wrong, just read the HISTORY of it....

That was his CONCEPT for it, but as it was implemented it wasn't designed to be a living wage.

You are using his selling point instead of what was actually passed, because even he realized you can't pay people more than what they add to a good or service without creating an inflationary cycle that defeats the supposed issue you are trying to fix.

Like it hasn't already anyway? Inflation happens regardless. Wages need to outpace inflation on an Institutional basis, unlike what we have now.

Factually False
Also a little loony

Like it hasn't already anyway? Inflation happens regardless. Wages need to outpace inflation on an Institutional basis, unlike what we have now.

OMG
That fucking stupidity again?

OMG
That fucking stupidity again?

OMG not nothing but fallacy instead of any valid rebuttal, again. How typical of the Right Wing. If it weren't for fallacy, y'all would have no arguments at all; nothing but Bigotry is all y'all seem to be good at.

Did Floridians vote for a $15 minimum wage? And they voted for Trump/Republicans? I don't buy this. To me this tells me Trump probably didn't win Florida just like Bush didn't win Florida in 2000. Something smells here.

And why would a red state like Florida vote for a $15 minimum wage? Doesn't make sense.

Floridians are stupid.

Fascists love telling business owners what to do with their private property.
[/QUOTE]
YA but many are getting real tired of paying for businesses not paying a decent wage
to their workers....isn't it strange that the rich get constant increases in their earnings since their fed by the reBOOBliCON establishment..

Not sure about Florida but the last time they raised the minimum wage here everyone made more money. I make more than minimum and they raised mine.

Sure it is. No one will hire since this amendment passed. No jobs and higher prices for everything. What a deal.

Forum List

Back