$15,000 espresso machine bought for school district

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Priorities.....fancy coffee or the kids....?

There's still a coffee pot in the break room of the Edmonds School District [WA] administrative offices, and employees still take turns buying coffee beans, but they now have a more upscale option.

A new $15,000 automated espresso machine provides what they say are Starbucks-quality mochas, lattes and Americanos to district staff for less than Starbucks prices. There's even an array of syrups to flavor employees' espresso drinks.

The school district says the espresso machine will pay for itself in about 20 months and then generate revenue for the food-service operation, which is self-sustaining and does not take money from the general fund. And 5 percent of the proceeds will go into the district budget to support teachers and students, said Food Services Program Director Barbara Lloyd.

But coming at a time when the school district is cutting its budget $4.5 million and eliminating 35 teaching positions, a high-end espresso machine may seem a luxury.

"It's incredibly extravagant when you've got [Superintendent Nick] Brossoit running around talking about how dire the budget is and how class sizes are getting bigger. That's not the time to be buying an expensive espresso machine," said Al Lyon, a teacher at Lynnwood Elementary School.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/snohomishcountynews/2003735408_coffee06n.html

As someone who is currently going through contract negotiations with my school district...this type of nonsense makes me angry. Pretty funny, though....espresso machine....Washington....come on, thats damn humorous.

Now this is funny ... ironically similar to the $600 hammer for the military. Just think what we can do with govt run health care! $1000 per tablet aspirin anyone?

here we go with the hate on schools and school spending.

This is the same kind of decision a business would make.

It will pay for its self and then be a source of revenue and you guys hate the idea?

If they act in a business like manner you hate them?

It keeps the teachers there and it makes the school money.

It will pay for its self and then be a source of revenue and you guys hate the idea?

If it takes an espresso machine to keep your teachers in place, there is something dreadfully wrong with your schools or your teachers.

Is there anyone you believe is not downtrodden and in desperate need of more tax dollars?

I meant there at the school instead of running out for a latte.

You see even they get breaks.

It is a sound businesslike decision dont you think?

Every business makes this kind of decision every day.

ITS A SMART ONE!

Why are you guys down on a school for trying to help pay for its self?

I meant there at the school instead of running out for a latte.

You see even they get breaks.

It is a sound businesslike decision dont you think?

Every business makes this kind of decision every day.

ITS A SMART ONE!

Why are you guys down on a school for trying to help pay for its self?

15k for an espresso machine, that's why. Gee, my school has a 4 pot Bunn coffeemaker, supplies regular, decafe, tea, hot chocolate.

Actually teachers don't get 'breaks', they get planning periods and usually a 40 minute lunch. I doubt many use either to run to Starbucks.

So you dont like the fact that they have made a sound businesslike decision which will pay for its self and be a source of revenue for the school for decades?

So you dont like the fact that they have made a sound businesslike decision which will pay for its self and be a source of revenue for the school for decades?

You're right, speaking to a brickwall in the morning is NOT a good start to my day. Like others, you refuse to address any points mentioned, so have fun.

Man, you are just so agile! That is one HUGE leap of logic!

I have no objection to teachers taking a break. I do not hate schools or school spending. Never said I did.

I guess you didn't even read your own posted article and the objections contained therein.

I havent posted an article in this thread.

It is the kind of decision businesses make every day.

It a sound one from the sounds of it to me.

It will pay for its self and Make money for decades.

These machines opperate for YEARS with very little needed but a good cleaning once in awhile.

They have made a decision which will be a source of revenue for decades.

What is it you want them to do, use no inovative and cost effective ideas?

I thought that was the whole complaint about government with most right leaning people?

You see its sentiment like this that keeps them from being inovative.

I havent posted an article in this thread.

You are correct...sorry for attributing the posting of the the article to you.

It is the kind of decision businesses make every day.

Great. Schools are now a business...got it.
It a sound one from the sounds of it to me.

It will pay for its self and Make money for decades.

Awesome. I don't suppose that means we can cut that particular school's federal funding by 15,000 a year over the next few decades.

These machines opperate for YEARS with very little needed but a good cleaning once in awhile.

great.

They have made a decision which will be a source of revenue for decades.

Why not put two or three of these in and make the enitre school self funding?

What is it you want them to do, use no inovative and cost effective ideas?

Sure...

I thought that was the whole complaint about government with most right leaning people?

Not the whole complaint...just one of many.

You see its sentiment like this that keeps them from being inovative.
Well dang, I have just personally destroyed the entire US education system.[/QUOTE]

I really don't give a rat's ass about what kind of freakin coffee pot the school has.

Then why are you so angry with me for pointing out is=t was acctually a good Idea.

Maybe just maybe we could do some things like this which could help schools pay for themselves.

How about a sandwich shop and a low cost gym located right next to the school in which the kids take turns working for business education credits.

They can get job experience, busniess experience , health education and the like while earning a small wage.

The profits of the business could then help run the schools.

You see we have Beat on schools so hard that we have shut down inovation.

The reflexsive attack on this school for doing this is the kind of thing is what Keeps us from getting inovative.

Then why are you so angry with me for pointing out is=t was acctually a good Idea.

Maybe just maybe we could do some things like this which could help schools pay for themselves.

How about a sandwich shop and a low cost gym located right next to the school in which the kids take turns working for business education credits.

They can get job experience, busniess experience , health education and the like while earning a small wage.

The reflexsive attack on this school for doing this is the kind of thing is what Keeps us from getting inovative.

How about the schools focus on teaching the curriculum? For most schools, that focus is sorely needed.

I did not realize I was so angry at you! How did you manage to discern that across the internet?

I'm all for that. I think we should hire all the students out to work for various local companies and give what otherwise would be their pay to the school district.

great idea...get them all ready for that big job at mcDonalds!

Who is "we?"

The reflexsive attack on this school for doing this is the kind of thing is what Keeps us from getting inovative. You are so right.

I say we just eliminate the school all together and just send the kids to work...think of all the experience they will get!

This country is a capitalistic democracy.

I think it is a good combination is they are correctly balenced.

Teaching our kids how to run a business is EXACTLY what we should be doing in this country.

How many kids would understand their math class so much easier if they had worked a couple of months at the sandwich shop after school and then were sat down and had the sandwich shop books opened up in class and taught what all this math is REALLY FOR!

This is why are kids are not learning, we dont teach them to think we try to teach them to test.

How many kids would learn a hell of alot more about math from talking the wieghts and tension on the machines at the gym as well as get them interested in keeping fit?

I know this trhead will now die because these are the kind of ideas we can all agree on.

They are what real liberal policies will give you.

I know mahny of you dont want to believe that because it would change your idea of what a liberal is.

How sad that great ideas which would save us tax dollars and educate our kids will get no play because politics get in the way.

Forum List

Back