$15.00 Rifle!

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A friend was cleaning out a old house he bought last year and converting it to a rental and found two rifles. He said one was a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in .243 and the other was a "old military rifle" that the safety did not work on.

He showed up at the pawn shop this morning and gave it to me and I paid the $15.00 to have it transferred at the shop.

93e 016 (2).JPG

It was not much, just a old Spanish M1916 that Spain had converted to 7.62 NATO.....It used the '93 action and sure enough the safety was fubar and did not work. Upon disassembling the bolt I found that the safety's shank was bent.

I dug around in my parts bins and found a '93 safety, cleaned/polished, and installed it and it worked fine. The bore is fine.

Maybe a $300.00 rifle on a good day once I clean it up.....Meh, better than most of what you get for $15.00. ;)

A friend was cleaning out a old house he bought last year and converting it to a rental and found two rifles. He said one was a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in .243 and the other was a "old military rifle" that the safety did not work on.

He showed up at the pawn shop this morning and gave it to me and I paid the $15.00 to have it transferred at the shop.

View attachment 627910

It was not much, just a old Spanish M1916 that Spain had converted to 7.62 NATO.....It used the '93 action and sure enough the safety was fubar and did not work. Upon disassembling the bolt I found that the safety's shank was bent.

I dug around in my parts bins and found a '93 safety, cleaned/polished, and installed it and it worked fine. The bore is fine.

Maybe a $300.00 rifle on a good day once I clean it up.....Meh, better than most of what you get for $15.00. ;)
That's a mighty fine pickup. I'm talking nice here. Real nice.

That's a mighty fine pickup. I'm talking nice here. Real nice.
I just finished tearing into it and was happy to find no pitting under the wood and the light surface rust came off OK.

I bought one of them back when they first hit the surplus market, it looked "new" (all are refurbs) but when I pulled it out of the wood it was a ball of rust with terrible pitting all along the bottom of the barrel, some was so deep it was almost into the bore.....I considered it unsafe.

I got it local, called the guy, and he gave me full in-store credit so I bought a K98K Czech Mauser (ex-IDF rifle) in 7.62 NATO instead for a few bucks more.

The only one I had personnel experience with in that regard was a 8mm Remington Magnum.
Happens. I can't remember if it was 22-250 or 220 swift, think the swift. Chuck hunters got about 2000 rounds then new barrel time
Great find. I was wondering about what is in this article. Have you or anyone experienced barrel burnout? I have used thousands of rounds in my rifles and shotguns but never had this problem. Fastest .30-Caliber Rifle Cartridge in the World: The .30-378 Weatherby Magnum
Happens. I can't remember if it was 22-250 or 220 swift, think the swift. Chuck hunters got about 2000 rounds then new barrel time

View attachment 627910

Nice find!

The 220 swift was known as a barrel burner. It's one of the hottest rounds in modern chambering, with a muzzle velocity just north of 4,000 fps

That's the one. Wanted one but went 22-250 instead. Yup, 22 swift is fast! 2 chuck hunters I hunted with had one of each.

I was using a 222 at the time. I quit killing unless I need to, have a Howa, 223, MK-AR Leopould and a can on it. Took some foxes out were getting my chickens. 55gr hornady Vmax.

Forum List

Back