14-Year-Old Missing Boys Are Skilled Enough to Sail Solo?

Yes sounds like they don't have both life jackets either.

You can bet they had lifevests if for no other reason than to avoid tickets.
And even if they werent wearing them at the time,you'd think they'd have been able to retrieve them from the boat unless they were incapacitated in some way.

On a side note..does any one else think of the show Flipper when you see the blonde headed kid?

Yes it sounds like they had two and one was found with the boat.

That is what I read. I was trying to find an update report on these two boys and one report said they found the boat 180 miles from where it originated so that is leading them to believe the two boys were headed for the Bahamas. My husband said that in a 19 ft boat if they didn't go over the waves just right it could capsize and he believes the boat capsized at night - not during the day. If it capsized at night it was pitch black and they would not have been able to see the life vests to get them & put them on. They would have been thrown from the boat. Which would have made it impossible for them to stay with the boat if they couldn't see it (at night). Still if they are strong swimmers as the parents said they were- they could still be alive but they have a navy boat, 3 coast guard boats and a plane searching and still no sign of them. Pray for the parents. They are surely in great distress right now. It's an awful thing to happen to anyone.

Are you sure about it being at night? I could see that causing a problem seeing the waves so you know when to throttle up or down but it would have to be a cloudy moonless night and even then a white boat hull sticks out like a sore thumb.
If nothing else you'd think they'd have been able to tie themselves off to the boat.

They definitely shouldn't have been out at night...

They weren't. They left during the day and after that they were lost - my husband was wondering if they had headed for the Bahamas and it was a long trip that it would have been nightfall and that would have been when the boat capsized. It's all speculation. No one knows what happened.

And even if they werent wearing them at the time,you'd think they'd have been able to retrieve them from the boat unless they were incapacitated in some way.

On a side note..does any one else think of the show Flipper when you see the blonde headed kid?

Yes it sounds like they had two and one was found with the boat.

That is what I read. I was trying to find an update report on these two boys and one report said they found the boat 180 miles from where it originated so that is leading them to believe the two boys were headed for the Bahamas. My husband said that in a 19 ft boat if they didn't go over the waves just right it could capsize and he believes the boat capsized at night - not during the day. If it capsized at night it was pitch black and they would not have been able to see the life vests to get them & put them on. They would have been thrown from the boat. Which would have made it impossible for them to stay with the boat if they couldn't see it (at night). Still if they are strong swimmers as the parents said they were- they could still be alive but they have a navy boat, 3 coast guard boats and a plane searching and still no sign of them. Pray for the parents. They are surely in great distress right now. It's an awful thing to happen to anyone.

Are you sure about it being at night? I could see that causing a problem seeing the waves so you know when to throttle up or down but it would have to be a cloudy moonless night and even then a white boat hull sticks out like a sore thumb.
If nothing else you'd think they'd have been able to tie themselves off to the boat.

No. My husband was thinking it would take a day to get to the Bahamas and it would have been dark before they got there (if that is where they were headed) but someone else said it isn't that far so I do not know. If it is only a short trip then is more likely they got into bad weather and that is what caused the boat to capsize. There have been cases of people surviving longer than 4 days out there so we need to continue to pray for these boys - they could very well still be out there waiting to be rescued.

It's only fifty or so miles to the Bahamas and in the type of boat they were in they could have easily made it in an hour and a half with good seas.
The most likely cause is the Gulf stream current that runs on average about ten miles off the Florida coast.
This thing rips!!! It can kick up some serious seas that could easily put a 21 ft boat in danger.
They have actual services that you can pay to get the best times to cross based on conditions.

God have mercy. Remember the boys and their families in your prayers tonight, Herewegoagain. Good night.

My husband and I prayed for these two boys today. The parents told them to stay within the bay and inlet. They didn't tell them they could go out on the open ocean. Let's take it easy on the parents. They are already in enough agony not knowing where their sons are.

God knows where these two boys are. I'm believing God for a miracle that even though their boat was found capsized they are wading water waiting to be rescued and the LORD is going to direct that rescue boat straight to them. In Jesus name, I am believing for a miracle for these two boys.

I was 14 years old once. My parents told me not to do a lot of things, too. But what these parents have been doing is tantamount to giving two kids the keys to the car and telling them not to leave the city limits. Were your parents that stupid when you were fourteen?

I rode around on a dirt bike with a rifle or shotgun and ranged out to twenty miles from my house when I was eleven,I dont see this being any different.

True, a lot has to do with what they are use to and what common
You have to wonder why they didnt stay with the boat or if they were unable to.
You always stay with the boat in situations like that for visibility reasons and they had to of known that.

At fourteen they are not required to wear life jackets.

Thats not my point.You still need to have life vests for everyone in the boat.
Most people will only wear a life vest on a ski boat ect...
Normal boating people assume its not needed....but yeah they definitely need to be available.

This just gags me. These parents are blathering at the television media about how their two 14-year-old sons are skilled enough at sailing to go it on their own....in the Atlantic Ocean? How STUPID.

They were told to stay within the bay and inlet in Jupiter, Florida but don't these STUPID parents realize they are dealing with TEENAGERS? Evidently since the boys have been missing for three days they do not. Logic, simple logic.

Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens: “People can survive in the water”
Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens People can survive in the water FOX6Now.com

It was a power boat.
From what I understand they weren't supposed to leave the bay but they decided to make the run to the Bahamas and didnt make it.
The Gulf Stream can be a real bitch if you dont time it right.

The crazy thing is that there were two boys of similar age in SC who were lost at the same time, maybe the same day as the two boys from Jupiter.

The SC boys were in a sailboat... the FL boys were in a powerboat.

My understanding is that the SC boys were found today, off the NC coast. The Florida boys are still missing.

This just gags me. These parents are blathering at the television media about how their two 14-year-old sons are skilled enough at sailing to go it on their own....in the Atlantic Ocean? How STUPID.

They were told to stay within the bay and inlet in Jupiter, Florida but don't these STUPID parents realize they are dealing with TEENAGERS? Evidently since the boys have been missing for three days they do not. Logic, simple logic.

Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens: “People can survive in the water”
Coast Guard vows aggressive search for missing Florida teens People can survive in the water FOX6Now.com

It was a power boat.
From what I understand they weren't supposed to leave the bay but they decided to make the run to the Bahamas and didnt make it.

The crazy thing is that there were two boys of similar age in SC who were lost at the same time, maybe the same day as the two boys from Jupiter.

My understanding is that the SC boys were found today, about off the NC coast. The Florida boys are still missing.

Hadnt heard about that one.

It was a power boat.

My understanding is that the SC boys were found today, about off the NC coast. The Florida boys are still missing.
Well hell. No wonder some of us are bald scratching our heads. TWO sets of boys in boats, different kinds of boats and two different states.

It was a power boat.

Well hell. No wonder some of us are bald scratching our heads. TWO sets of boys in boats, different kinds of boats and two different states.

Cant seem to find anything on it.
Link by chance?

It was a power boat.

Cant seem to find anything on it.
Link by chance?

MY BAD...

I went to find you a link, and it turns out that what I read was an old article from 2005 posted up on FB and I didn't notice the date.

I apologize... FWIW: THOSE KIDS were in a Sailboat.

My wife and I are praying for a miracle that these kids are still alive. In a boat world letting your teen age kids operate a power boat is very common but not in the open ocean. Jupiter where these kids are to Freeport, Bahamas is about 90 miles but with a 19 footer boat it's very dangerous even with an experience sailor.
Jupiter is less than 100 miles north from here and will be joining the vigil tomorrow and Saturday with some of my neighbors.
I've been yachting in this part of the world most of my entire life crisscrossing Nassau all the way to Puerto Rico. It's very beautiful and I love every moment.
We all differences here but can we at least unite offer a pray for these families. Please.

Forum List

Back