13 Hours: Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014
13 Hours: Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Well'p... It's a war movie by Michael Bay. For better and worse, it lives up to that reputation. :lol:

The Good:

- To his credit, Bay actually tones his usual antics down a bit. This helps the film feel more serious than his usual fair.

- It's certainly a fun watch, and the battle scenes are incredibly well done (if maybe just a tad heavy on the pyrotechnics).

- The cast is great.

- The camaraderie between the main cast is well portrayed, as are the general attitudes and mindsets which tend to go along with former military.

- It manages not to be too heavy handed on the political side of things.​

The Not So Good:

- Again, while no where near as extremely so as his usual fair, the film is still undeniably somewhat corny, feeling more like a slick summer action flick - with requisite oneliners and macho stereotypes - than a war movie indicative of something which took place in the real world, per se.

- The narrative is somewhat clunky. Most of the first twenty or so minutes of the film could have probably been cut.

- Whenever Bay tries to be overtly dramatic, it comes off feeling a bit like melodrama. That can be distracting.​

Overall, I actually liked the film a lot more than I thought I would. I'd certainly say it's worth a watch. Just bear in mind that some of it is going to come off feeling a lot more like "Armageddon" or "The Rock" than "Black Hawk Down," "Saving Private Ryan," or "Fury."

It actually reminds me a bit of "American Sniper" in this regard. Both films had an inherent "artificialness" to them. However, where that film felt overly "sanitized" and sentimental, this one feels like it's been soaked in action movie kerosene. lol

7.5 out of 10

I thought it was pretty good compared with the rest of the junk Hollywood has been turning out.

Melodramatic, corny, and clunky, but good for an action movie. Fury was much better.

Forum List

Back