10 year old girl on America's Got Talent blows them away.

Yes. Saw her performance, and also like her song choice, one of my favorites, though written for a male role. She's not as good as Jackie Evancho, who also 'debuted' on AGT at age 10, but she's definitely going to be on of the coming 'stars'. She won't have a problem getting a recording contract, whether she wins or not; Evancho lost, but now has at least 5 CDs out and doing well. Nobody can remember who beat her for first place.

Also liked the kid who played the violin last week, though he was 'over-acting'; it didn't ruin the musical performance.

Yes. Saw her performance, and also like her song choice, one of my favorites, though written for a male role. She's not as good as Jackie Evancho, who also 'debuted' on AGT at age 10, but she's definitely going to be on of the coming 'stars'. She won't have a problem getting a recording contract, whether she wins or not; Evancho lost, but now has at least 5 CDs out and doing well. Nobody can remember who beat her for first place.

Also liked the kid who played the violin last week, though he was 'over-acting'; it didn't ruin the musical performance.
Yes I immediately thought of Jackie Evancho too. I think Jackie had a prettier quality, this girl maybe had more power, I'd like to hear her sing the whole song.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but do they ever have any girl country singers on that show?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I seem to recall a couple. They have had country singers on there a few times, I know. Kid acts are very popular; like W.C. Fields allegedly said about vaudeville performing," Never follow a kid or a dog act." Some are excellent, many will not go past the novelty of being very young and kind of fade. Exceptions are Darcy Lynne, and Jackie Evancho, whose voices are getting better and better as she ages. Many we never hear from again after AGT, or The Voice for that matter.

Last edited:

Yes I immediately thought of Jackie Evancho too. I think Jackie had a prettier quality, this girl maybe had more power, I'd like to hear her sing the whole song.

She does indeed have more power, but not the range, than Evancho did at that age. Evancho also didn't have that 'vibrato' thing, which some like, but is really something older singers have who are past their prime. Breathing exercises will help her a lot with that, and she will get coaching before every performance she makes through. I think we''ll see here at least two more times, hopefully all the way to the finals.

Terrible, awful way to ruin a very young voice. Charlotte Church did this doing this very same exact thing. The human voice is not geared for this kind of singing before puberty and that tone quality she's producing it not natural for her at age 10. It sounds good, but if you know anything about singing, it's the sound of a young voice being very likely ruined.

Career Crisis

(Voice major here, degree in music ed, elem. music teacher for 25 years)

Terrible, awful way to ruin a very young voice. Charlotte Church did this doing this very same exact thing. The human voice is not geared for this kind of singing before puberty and that tone quality she's producing it not natural for her at age 10. It sounds good, but if you know anything about singing, it's the sound of a young voice being very likely ruined.

Career Crisis

I'm sure it ruins some voices; that vibrato in such a young person is a red flag to me. However, it does depend on how good their coaching is. Evancho's voice just kept getting better and better, and her range goes through the ceiling, though I doubt the make her go that high more than once a month or so, and then after not even so much as talking for at least a day before and after.

Wasn't aware Church is no longer singing; I have one of her CD's. Sorry to hear that.

I've heard recordings of Sumi Jo when she was in her teens; she was still reaching highs at a relatively late age for an opera singer as well.

Last edited:

Career Crisis

I'm sure it ruins some voices; that vibrato in such a young person is a red flag to me. However, it does depend on how good their coaching is. Evancho's voice just kept getting better and better, and her range goes through the ceiling, though I doubt the make her go that high more than once a month or so, and then after not even so much as talking for at least a day before and after.

Wasn't aware Church is no longer singing; I have one of her CD's. Sorry to hear that.

I've heard recordings of Sumi Jo when she was in her teens; she was still reaching highs at a relatively late age for an opera singer as well.

Late teens is fine for training. Even mid-teens, which is much different than 10. Church is still singing, she is just ruined for opera. And it's not so much the vibrato; it's that tone that bothers me in a 10 year old. That tone is very manufactured.

Also this: no one produces a tone like pure child-singing, and what's wrong with that? That's one thing America's Got Talent has ruined. We either have kids singing like belting pop stars or opera singers. STOP. Children singing like children--without artifice--is absolutely the way to go.

Here is one of our nation's top children's choirs, the Indianapolis Children's Choir. Youngest singers start here. No pop sound, no operatic machinations, just pure child-singing. There's nothing else like it, and we shouldn't try for anything else for lots of reasons, IMO.

Forum List

Back