10 things you didn't know about The Wizard of Oz

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
The Wizard of Oz is my favorite 'NDE,' it is such a wonderful allegory. Below are some interesting little tidbits.

I'll add one that I didn't notice not on the list. The movie is famous for 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' But there is another song in it hardly anyone notices. It is 'Optimistic Voices.' You hear it when they wake up and leave the poppy field. The lyrics have a wonderful message:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62tvZ3FSXs]The Wizard Of Oz-Optimistic Voices - YouTube[/ame]

10 things you didn't know about The Wizard of Oz:

10 Things You Never Noticed About The Wizard of Oz | Jay Scarfone

I spent some time figuring out what the meaning of the Scarecrow's Dream, a song by Dan Fogelberg meant. There are two phrases that didn't make sense because there was no gate on the fence and nothing about a plate in the movie: Garden gate, empty plate. I looked up the words, and a gate is a prison, and a plate is thing upon which where words are inscribed.

Also, when they show the white horse turning into 'a horse of a different color,' I think they use colors that symbolize the characters:

White for the tin man, pure of heart
Red for Dorothy, full of fire
Purple for the lion, king of the forest (used for royalty)
Gold for the Scarecrow, richness of knowledge

But that's just my interpretation.

I love the Wizard of Oz. But I like the end of The Wiz better. I think Leslie Uggams speech at the end is a much better summary of what the movie means: You have many talents, you just have to believe in yourself and develop them; you always have the power to change your circumstances; and of course, there's no place like home!

Last edited:
you need to read the book about how its a political satire...toto is the people always needing to be saved

2nd weekend in october...the land of oz on beech mountain opens to the public

you need to read the book about how its a political satire...toto is the people always needing to be saved

over_board.gif

My oldest daughter as a child loved the Wizard of Oz.

She must have watched it a hundred times on video.

When she was around 8 years old we took her to a local dinner theater production of the Wizard of Oz.

After the play my wife and I took her back stage to meet the actors who were still in full costume.

My daughter was totally mesmerized and completely speechless as she stood in awe next to them. .... :cool:

Last edited:
Dark Side of the Moon.

That's all I'm sayin'.

When she was around 8 years old we took her to a local dinner theater production of the Wizard of Oz.

After the play my wife and I took her back stage to meet the actors who were still in full costume.

My daughter was totally mesmerized and completely speechless as she stood in awe next to them. .... :cool:

When I was a girl, it came on TV every year. I used to fall asleep before the end. Not sure I saw it all the way through until I was an adult. Now, when I see it, I tend to think of the stories of how the child actors of that day were treated using drugs and various kinds of abuse to get them to perform. In one show they wanted Natalie Wood to cry so they told her that her dog had died. In another she had to hang onto a bridge when water rushed in on her, but they didn't tell her it was rigged so she wouldn't get hurt and you could tell she was in fear of her life. And one of the Little Rascals, can't recall his name, told on talk shows he they were drugged as children. Some were sexually abused by the big shots, etc. I think Judy Garland was about as dysfunctional an adult as you can find, but she had an amazing talent.

There is some sort of meaning about part of the movie being in black and white and the other part in color. I forget what I heard about that, Sunshine. The Wizard of Oz was one my favorite movies as a child. I still love watching the movie and have seen it many, many times. It is a movie you can watch again and again. My favorite scene is the tornado. That was always my favorite scene. Also when she clicked her ruby red shoes and said, There's no place like home! It is a wonderful movie! - Jeri

So, the people are dogs. LOL. I could think of a few politicians who would be the straw headed scarecrow.

When I was a girl, it came on TV every year. I used to fall asleep before the end. Not sure I saw it all the way through until I was an adult. Now, when I see it, I tend to think of the stories of how the child actors of that day were treated using drugs and various kinds of abuse to get them to perform. In one show they wanted Natalie Wood to cry so they told her that her dog had died. In another she had to hang onto a bridge when water rushed in on her, but they didn't tell her it was rigged so she wouldn't get hurt and you could tell she was in fear of her life. And one of the Little Rascals, can't recall his name, told on talk shows he they were drugged as children. Some were sexually abused by the big shots, etc. I think Judy Garland was about as dysfunctional an adult as you can find, but she had an amazing talent.

I have heard that before. I believe there are some very dark secrets about Hollywood the world has yet to learn about. It is very sad how child actors were treated and this is still happening today. I wonder about some of the actors who have died mysteriously. The young girl and her husband - I think her name was Brittany Murphy? I am suspicious about that. Also this young man who died recently - Paul Walker? They say there were posts on facebook or somewhere of a false obituary saying he had died..... a few days later he dies in a fiery car crash hitting a tree - same type of "accident" reported about the Rolling Stones reporter who supposedly drove his car at a high rate of speed and hit a tree. Both cars looked like there was some sort of explosion - I hear the new cars with blackboxes can be taken over - steering and brakes - gas pedal - I would not be surprised to learn he and his friend were the target of some hollywood elite - perhaps he refused to do something they were demanding of him. Hollywood and this admin seem to work in tandem these days... very suspicious stuff going on.... I remember Dennis Quids brother and sister in law saying they fled to Canada for their lives after being threatened by some hollywood elitists they claimed were satanists controlling hollywood stars. Truth is stranger than fiction. I would not be suprised to learn of it. p.s. then again I have quite an imagination and sometimes overthink things and am prone to be a bit gullible. So please factor that in too! lol.

Last edited:
There is some sort of meaning about part of the movie being in black and white and the other part in color. I forget what I heard about that, Sunshine. The Wizard of Oz was one my favorite movies as a child. I still love watching the movie and have seen it many, many times. It is a movie you can watch again and again. My favorite scene is the tornado. That was always my favorite scene. Also when she clicked her ruby red shoes and said, There's no place like home! It is a wonderful movie! - Jeri

Everything in Kansas was in black and white. I think it represented concrete black and white thinking. But that's just my interpretation. When she goes to Oz, she sees the farm hands and her family for what they really are. Remember at the end Dorothy says, "you were there, and you, and you." If you recall, the farm hands made remarks ridiculing one another for not having a brain, a heart, and for being cowardly. In Oz, Dorothy sees that the things they are calling others are how they see themselves. In this day and time, we call it projection. That is why the farm hands come to her in Oz as a cowardly lion, a tin man, and a scarecrow. I think the good witch represented Auntie Em as a young woman, the young woman who took Dorothy in. And of course we know who the wicked witch of the west was. "I'll get you and your little dog too!" (That line is paraphrased in Legally Blonde 2.) The munchkins. Don't ask. I have no idea! LOL

People who have things to deal with in life, like Dorothy's losing her home and having that NDE, mature and grow if they will allow themselves to. They stop seeing things and people in all black and white. And they begin to see people in Technicolor for who/what they are. Case in point: I can tell you that the ones who sit on the front row of the church and sing, 'oh how I love Jesus' aren't the ones who will be there for you when you need someone. Those who will be there for you are the ones you would least expect to be.

Sometimes when I get a waiter or store clerk who is particularly dense I will say, "Are you from Kansas?" I'm basically calling them stupid, but they don't get that, of course.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back