1 in 5 American Children Live in (Relative) Poverty...

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Times are Bad... Around the World, not just here in America, as this Generational Correction continues...

But I am always Entertained by our and other Wealthy Nation's ability to call this Poverty:

Study: 1 in 5 American children live in poverty - US news - Life - msnbc.com

This is Poverty:

Poverty.com - Hunger and World Poverty

THIS is POVERTY:

East African Famine 2011 (Somalia) News - The New York Times

SOMALIA-sfSpan.jpg

This is NOT Poverty:

child%20poverty-526605452_v2.grid-5x2.jpg

^That's the Woman Highlighted in the American "Poverty" story in my original link...

Statistically, like a high number of America's "poor", she probably smokes, an expensive and pointless habit...

She may also drink.

And if her weight is any indicator, she's probably blaming McDonald's for her health issues... And maybe her kid's health issues also as so many Irresponsible Americans do these days.

Wanna wager on whether or not her or her "poor" neighbors have flat screens and gaming systems?... New cars?... Clothing?...

I'll tell you what this child doesn't have:

sudan_famine-741848.jpg

^This child doesn't have any issue worrying about whether or not they are going to get a new "Blues Clues" DVD...

America's "Poor" live like Kings.

And as I watch as another Neighbor who had 2 new cars, a HUGE and obviously well fed and vicious dog and a flat screen in more than one room lose their Home and most like fall into "Poverty", I have to wonder...

Can America's Soul become anymore Bankrupt?...

Forget about Economic Bankruptcy for a just a moment...

What are WE Complaining about again?...

Yeah, that's what I thought.

A bunch of Fat, Unhealthy, Self-involved "Poor" people blaming McDonald's, Walmart and the Douchebag Politicians that they continue to Elect for their problems.

Look in the Mirror, America...

The World's Honestly Poor aren't shedding a Tear for you.

Now put that in your super-size fries and choke on it with your tub of Diet Coke while your brats ignore you with their iPods blasting in their chubby little ears. :thup:

:)

peace...

An American's relative poverty status is determined by how many cell phones, i pads, flat screen TV's and the collective tonnage of their air conditioning units today.
My wife came from a family of fifteen. Her father had angina so bad he would collapse into a chair after returning home from his job, in an era before stents or vein grafts were even heard of.
The family used to receive surplus food. One of my wife's childhood chores was picking the maggots out of the surplus rice they were given. They didn't consider themselves poor or underprivileged. They did consider themselves lucky to be Americans. But that was an era when Jessee jackson and Al Sharpton were still twinkles in their father's eyes.

An American's relative poverty status is determined by how many cell phones, i pads, flat screen TV's and the collective tonnage of their air conditioning units today.
My wife came from a family of fifteen. Her father had angina so bad he would collapse into a chair after returning home from his job, in an era before stents or vein grafts were even heard of.
The family used to receive surplus food. One of my wife's childhood chores was picking the maggots out of the surplus rice they were given. They didn't consider themselves poor or underprivileged. They did consider themselves lucky to be Americans. But that was an era when Jessee jackson and Al Sharpton were still twinkles in their father's eyes.

My Mom was the Eldest of 15...

The Great Depression was their jumping off point.

We are Wealthy by comparison by ANY Standard...

Even the Poorest of the Poor in the US today.

End of Fucking List.

peace...

Also, in America, those 'poor' people have opportunities to work themselves out of 'poverty'. I suspect there are millions in East Africa would would change places in a heartbeat.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
What has happened in America has been a raising of the expectation bar, aided and abetted by men like Jackson and Sharpton and by a lack of any return to reality in those expectations.
Roughly two years ago, my family met to consider what to do about our mother's fate, due to her rapidly deteriorating health.
Someone rummaging through the desks had found some black and white photographs that my father had taken. The series began with a picture of my father wearing an US Army helmet, light autumn jacket, pack and rifle slung on his back. The penciled notation on the back simply read Belgium, December, 1944. The next picture was of a roughly twelve or thirteen year old male with no jacket, standing in the snow in front a cottage. The notation on the back read Belgium, January, 1945, "Cigarettes for Poppa". The next picture was of a two to three year old female child standing barefoot in the snow in front of that same cottage, the notation on the back reading simply Belgium, January, 1945.

Also, in America, those 'poor' people have opportunities to work themselves out of 'poverty'. I suspect there are millions in East Africa would would change places in a heartbeat.

Yep...

Like people who are "above" working at Walmart or Micky-D's...

There are still Jobs that America's "Poor" won't do...

That makes us Poor in the Soul.

peace...

The poverty level is an arbitrary line based on income. It does not relate directly to living conditions. Our safety net ensures that a basic standard of living is available if it is wanted. This is something to be proud of as a country

In spite of the myths, our poor do not live well. I doubt if many on this board would be willing to trade with them

The right wing loves to point to toys as proof that they are living better than most working Americans. Cell Phones, microwaves, computers and yes......HDTVs are relatively low cost in the big picture and do not add much to your prsonal wealth. When you look at real wealth.....houses, autos, investments....they have very little

The poverty level is an arbitrary line based on income. It does not relate directly to living conditions. Our safety net ensures that a basic standard of living is available if it is wanted. This is something to be proud of as a country

In spite of the myths, our poor do not live well. I doubt if many on this board would be willing to trade with them

The right wing loves to point to toys as proof that they are living better than most working Americans. Cell Phones, microwaves, computers and yes......HDTVs are relatively low cost in the big picture and do not add much to your prsonal wealth. When you look at real wealth.....houses, autos, investments....they have very little

Americans have no idea what poverty is. We have the opportunity to get an education, we don't starve, we are not Africa.

If people choose to drown in debt, that is not anyone else's fault.

homeless-family.jpg

HomelessShelter.jpg

Oh yeah, the poor and homeless is this nation are living the lives of opulance and splender.

Lucky them, huh?

Americans have no idea what poverty is. We have the opportunity to get an education, we don't starve, we are not Africa.

If people choose to drown in debt, that is not anyone else's fault.
Be patient.

homeless-family.jpg

HomelessShelter.jpg

Oh yeah, the poor and homeless is this nation are living the lives of opulance and splender.

Lucky them, huh?

Top pic... They have a Car... Bet the Old Man Drinks and Smokes too...

Bottom Picture...

Looks like a bunch of Bums...

There is a place in Denver called Step 13...

ALWAYS has Vacancies...

ALWAYS...

But they Expect the Homeless who come to Contribute, stop Drinking and Druging and work themselves out...

ALWAYS has Vacancies.

peace...

What was that you said, "rightwinger"?... :lol:

Fuckin' Colbert wanna-be. :thup:

As for America's Poor...

We don't have Poor people... We have Relatively Poor people.

I Illustrated what Poverty IS in my OP.

Dismiss or Deny it, it is what it is.

peace...

As for America's Poor...

peace...

conservatives don't set the bar very high do they?

As long as we have no Biafra babies we have nothing to complain about. We are the wealthiest nation on earth, we set the standard for the rest of the world to follow. Some conservatives even say we are "exceptional"

If we are exceptional, we are judged by how we treat our poorest citizens

As for America's Poor...

peace...

conservatives don't set the bar very high do they?

As long as we have no Biafra babies we have nothing to complain about. We are the wealthiest nation on earth, we set the standard for the rest of the world to follow. Some conservatives even say we are "exceptional"

If we are exceptional, we are judged by how we treat our poorest citizens

How are we treating our Poorest Citizens?... How was I addressing that?...

ReRead my OP on my View that things are Bad... Because I said they were.

Try not to be this Dishonest, you're not good at... Either for Entertainment's sake, or if you are just Dishonest...

It doesn't work for you. :thup:

peace...

Times are Bad... Around the World, not just here in America, as this Generational Correction continues...
But I am always Entertained by our and other Wealthy Nation's ability to call this Poverty:

Study: 1 in 5 American children live in poverty - US news - Life - msnbc.com

This is Poverty:

Poverty.com - Hunger and World Poverty

THIS is POVERTY:

East African Famine 2011 (Somalia) News - The New York Times

SOMALIA-sfSpan.jpg

This is NOT Poverty:

child%20poverty-526605452_v2.grid-5x2.jpg

^That's the Woman Highlighted in the American "Poverty" story in my original link...

Statistically, like a high number of America's "poor", she probably smokes, an expensive and pointless habit...

She may also drink.

And if her weight is any indicator, she's probably blaming McDonald's for her health issues... And maybe her kid's health issues also as so many Irresponsible Americans do these days.

Wanna wager on whether or not her or her "poor" neighbors have flat screens and gaming systems?... New cars?... Clothing?...

I'll tell you what this child doesn't have:

sudan_famine-741848.jpg

^This child doesn't have any issue worrying about whether or not they are going to get a new "Blues Clues" DVD...

America's "Poor" live like Kings.

And as I watch as another Neighbor who had 2 new cars, a HUGE and obviously well fed and vicious dog and a flat screen in more than one room lose their Home and most like fall into "Poverty", I have to wonder...

Can America's Soul become anymore Bankrupt?...

Forget about Economic Bankruptcy for a just a moment...

What are WE Complaining about again?...

Yeah, that's what I thought.

A bunch of Fat, Unhealthy, Self-involved "Poor" people blaming McDonald's, Walmart and the Douchebag Politicians that they continue to Elect for their problems.

Look in the Mirror, America...

The World's Honestly Poor aren't shedding a Tear for you.

Now put that in your super-size fries and choke on it with your tub of Diet Coke while your brats ignore you with their iPods blasting in their chubby little ears. :thup:

peace...

See it that time, Colbert?...

peace...

New Topics

Forum List

Back