Work Advancement Opportunities

I wouldn't take a new position created.

1 there is no guarantee that it will work out and they eliminate the position later on if they don't see it being of value.

2 there is no telling what you may end up actually doing because a new position might end up getting other people's work dumped on it because they want to pass responsibility off to someone else.

3 this is just me personally but I like to fly under the radar. A newly created position probably will have a lot of scrutiny and eyes on it.

If you are going to take a management job, you not only need to know how to manage people, you also need to know how to handle pressure when nothing is going right

You should ask yourself how you think you can do on both of them.

I wouldn't take a new position created.

1 there is no guarantee that it will work out and they eliminate the position later on if they don't see it being of value.

2 there is no telling what you may end up actually doing because a new position might end up getting other people's work dumped on it because they want to pass responsibility off to someone else.

3 this is just me personally but I like to fly under the radar. A newly created position probably will have a lot of scrutiny and eyes on it.
You make some very good points. My personality doesn’t allow me to stay below the radar very well. I point out problems and ineffective practices. Always have and probably always will.

In the last two weeks I’ve called in every card I could think of. All they have at this point is a job title, the six work locations and a reporting structure. Their biggest issue is that they want a single job description while each of the six districts wants them to do different things.
Well, I can only speak for myself. Unless I was at least aware of the hierarchy of management in the position such that I could trust them to have my back and find me a safe landing place i.e "Plan B" if it fell through or wasn't a good fit, I wouldn't even consider it.

In my experiences, I have found that new roles with scant information or alternatively very specific requirements are usually already filled by someone they want, it is nothing more than going through the motions of presenting the optics of making it available to others when they either know that so few details are available to ensure that no one else would apply for the job, or, no one else except one particular person has those exact requirements fullfilled. Thus, it would be impossible for anyone else to meet that positions "requirements" except their chosen candidate.

They may even loosen the strings a bit in the later stage of the process to attract 3 or 4 more applicants, but that's just to appease upper management in providing "multiple applicants"/

I may be wrong in this instance, but, the lack of information places you at the roulette wheel unfortunately.

Appears Job #1 is the easy choice here barring the aforementioned considerations being met.

Last edited:
If you are going to take a management job, you not only need to know how to manage people, you also need to know how to handle pressure when nothing is going right

You should ask yourself how you think you can do on both of them.
As it’s explained the purpose of this job is to ensure that work on projects in that district is on schedule as an advocate for the customer, using our project management software. Basically they’ll be the folks who go around making sure the other departments are doing their work in a timely manner. Nobody is going to like them, and I’d be fine with that, personally.

No way I take a nebulously defined position....who knows if its evem real or materialize. Sounds sketchy as hell
OMFG

1714839544912.gif

45 years of cultural references just wasted.

UPDATE:

My sources tell nectgstvestlybnext eeeknit will be announced that I’ve been offered Job 1 without need for a bid. The Union agreed to bypass the bidding process so long as the Senior individual on the roster (me) gets the job. Unfortunately, the giveaway was the back pay from 3/1/24 thst I feel I should be getting.

Job 2 has now officially been announced and added to the organizational chart, BUT it still doesn’t have a job description, pay band, or a posting day (1/1/2025 is the rumor).

UPDATE 2:

It’s official; as of this coming Sunday (May 19, 2024) I have taken Job 1. There is going to be a transition period due to the need to fill my current/old job, which they’re having difficulty doing, but that’s fine with me.

The one hiccup is the pay rate. Despite having a printed contract book for the 2027-2022 contract, and supposedly being in the process of printing the 2022-2026 book, they have the pay rate for this new job WRONG, and may have as far back as 2017. Which means the other gentleman current in this role may have been being paid wrong for at least 7 years. We’re not talking Pennie’s either. Att this point the discrepancy is over $5 per hour.

Forum List

Back