We. Did. This. To. Ourselves.

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
For 50 points name what’s wrong with this.

For 500 bonus points and a bottle of your favorite whisky, identify the location of at least one dot in the Today map. I’m very curious.

IMG_1301.jpeg

Ask the envirowhacko who posted it.
I’m here to mock him.
And you.
Well you need to up your game if that was your goal. Because the post is kinda weak sauce.
Maybe it's best if you state your reason for mocking him.

Well you need to up your game if that was your goal. Because the post is kinda weak sauce.

$1 for everyone who thinks we’ve destroyed the forests of America?

For 500 bonus points and a bottle of your favorite whisky, identify the location of at least one dot in the Today map. I’m very curious.

View attachment 948275

First, I'd dispute his claim of "virgin forest", especially since he didn't give a clear definition.
For a start; fires, especially those caused by Nature don't count as "We. Did. This. To. Ourselves."

2nd areas logged within the past century will still show evidence of the roads into them even after regrowth. I recall flying from Kalispell, Montana to SeaTac, Wa. a few years ago and looking out my window on North side of the aircraft, flying over NW-Montana ~ N. Idaho ~NE WA I could see to the horizon a blanket of green(trees) with almost no hint of roads used to log. (Not to mention most of those areas have little history of being logged to begin with.

3rd The link on trees overlooks that many areas cleared of forest and settled, developed, also have extensive regrowth of trees. My back yard is a classic example.

4th Driving from my home here in NW WA state to Kalispell, MT I go through a lot more trees/forest than he shows on the lower map. Especially when going through the Rockies.

5th many areas of Western Montain that he shows as "virgin forest" in 1620 show no evidence of any forest from 500+ years ago. They are clearly plains lands.

6th Where'd he get this map of 1620? Or 'now' even ?
Out of his arse?
That northern most "dot" in NW Washington State is out my backdoor and it's a lot more forested than he shows. Again, having flown over most of that Eastern part of my county, there is near no evidence of logging once more than @ 15-20 miles into the Cascades from the coastal flats here.

The maps are more pravda of enviro-nazis!

Your source is a bit misleading since many states had few to any forests and very little trees long before either Europeans, or "Native Americas" arrived on this continent.

Your source is a bit misleading since many states had few to any forests and very little trees long before either Europeans, or "Native Americas" arrived on this continent.
That's because its a map of current forestation levels (2023).

11 posts in and I'm still not sure what point the OP is trying to make.
If the point was to mock, there are better folders with way more visibility to do it in.
And the "mocking" was kind of weak. :)

If the point was to mock, there are better folders with way more visibility to do it in.
It’s just soooo easy to mock you envirowhackos simply by reposting your hatred of science.

View attachment 948275

I don't think there's anything wrong about the pictures. And do you think some wacko made them up just because he had nothing better to do? Also, we didn't do it to ourselves. The greedy did it to everybody. I have some similar images myself.

Old-Growth-Forests-in-US.png

There are virgins in forests?? :auiqs.jpg:

Now being serious. Trees get harvested, then new ones grow back. What's your point?

I think the point is not being a pig. Leave some of nature for nature. Also, I wonder what species went extinct due to all that clear cutting. Though I remember hearing of one instance where it was a good thing. At one time in the old West there was a big problem with locusts. Luckily, humans somehow managed to lumber or farm areas where they originated from. From what I remember hearing, they wiped out that species of locust. Also, in many areas that were clear cut, the trees didn't grow back naturally. They were planted with trees that were most valuable to the lumber industry. I remember seeing areas of national forest in my home state. The pine trees run in straight rows. Probably because they were planted like cultivated fields are. With a plow.

I don't think there's anything wrong about the pictures. And do you think some wacko made them up just because he had nothing better to do? Also, we didn't do it to ourselves. The greedy did it to everybody. I have some similar images myself.

View attachment 948705
Who did the survey in 1620?
Why do I live in a forest with trees dating to Colonial times?

Who did the survey in 1620?
Why do I live in a forest with trees dating to Colonial times?
Agreed. IN that image posted by goodluck, I still see some dots on my state for old growth forest. . . and there are at least seven places in my state to still see them, and they ain't been touched since at least Teddy's day. That is when the entire nation decided we best preserve the wild places.

So we can be sure at least that map is inaccurate.

So? If that map is, what does that tell us about the others?

:eusa_think:

Agreed.

The best mocking is when they do it to themselves.

"Top Comments -

"I wish all climate activists would protest like this."

"His final peg was his hardest."

"Thank you for your service. Your sacrifice will go forgotten."

"Throwing car batteries in the ocean in your honor."

As someone pointed out, this was filmed in reverse.

No it is not dufus!
It's a map of conjectured forestation remaining from over 400 years ago, so-called "virgin forests" presented by another dufus with a political agenda, not a scientific or objective data/knowledge one.

It is showing "his" disinformation idea of what "he thinks" was present 400+ years ago versus what is there now, present, of trees living back then 400 years ago. Let that factor sink-in and digest!

It is a rare species and/or individual tree (type) that can live more than 100-200 years.
Nature tends to dish out the occasional wildfire every now and then that burns down an "old growth" forest of trees to re-start another carbon recycle phase. Which usually starts with deciduous tree types and other ground growth and brush before the 'evergreen' species get a foothold and eventually dominate. This all takes about one-two centuries to work out, depending upon numerous variables.

One classic example is the mix of human and nature caused major forest fire known as the Big Burn of 1910;
The Great Fire of 1910 (also commonly referred to as the Big Blowup, the Big Burn, or the Devil's Broom fire) was a wildfire in the Inland Northwest region of the United States that in the summer of 1910 burned three million acres (4,700 sq mi; 12,100 km2, approximately the size of Connecticut) in North Idaho and Western Montana, with extensions into Eastern Washington and Southeast British Columbia.[1] The area burned included large parts of the Bitterroot, Cabinet, Clearwater, Coeur d'Alene, Flathead, Kaniksu, Kootenai, Lewis and Clark, Lolo, and St. Joe national forests.[2]The fire burned over two days on the weekend of August 20–21,[3][4] after strong winds caused numerous smaller fires to combine into a firestorm of unprecedented size. It killed 87 people,[5] mostly firefighters,[6][7] destroyed numerous manmade structures, including several entire towns, and burned more than three million acres of forest with an estimated billion dollars' worth of timber lost.[2] It is believed to be the largest, although not the deadliest, forest fire in U.S. history.[8]

In the aftermath of the fire, the U.S. Forest Service received considerable recognition for its firefighting efforts, including a doubling of its budget from Congress. The outcome was to highlight firefighters as public heroes while raising public awareness of national nature conservation. The fire is often considered a significant impetus in the development of early wildfire prevention and suppression strategies.[2]
Getting back to your distortion ~ disinformation ~ Lie; the map does NOT show current levels of forestation. Just the opposite since current forestation (tree growth and coverage) equals when not exceeds that of 200+ years ago.

I've lived here over 70+ years and in recent years have flown low level over this terrain and it remains difficult to see the building and development underneath the tree cover in mid-Summer when all is in leaf. While there may not be much left that was alive in 1620, mostly due to natural causes, there remains today as much if not more tree=vertical fauna as there was over 175+ years ago when "white people" first began to settle here.

I suggest you come out here and let me show around at ground level and a couple thousand feet over such and see how much of this land (over 80+%) remains FORESTED! = covered with trees!

Forum List

Back