Should we be worried?

Ok, how do propose making structures be made more durable without much extra cost?
We have to determine how much more some buyers would pay for a stronger house, and determine what features other buyers would give up to mitigate the higher costs of a stronger house. Initially it has to be a market-based effort. If such structures prove out, then building codes would lilely follow.

Last edited:
We have to determine how much more some buyers would pay for a stronger house, and determine what features other buyers would give up to mitigate the higher costs of a stronger house. Initially it has to be a market-based effort. If such structures prove out, then building codes would lilely follow.
You're describing the free market and that has already been done.

When you act stupid you must be!

Doppler on wheels. Hmmmm you skim over? Or stupid?

That's what I was acknowledging with the NWS diagram of that tornado ... see the purple zone ... winds were 301 mph there ... not anywhere else ...

Do you have any pictures of this EF-5 damage? ... the most the photo in ding's post is EF-4 ... "houses destroyed and crumpled upon their respective foundations" ... do you see any houses swept clear of their respective foundations? ...

Yes or no ...

You're describing the free market and that has already been done.
True. Stronger, and better designed, structures are being built here and there but generally buyers go with conventional construction.

That's what I was acknowledging with the NWS diagram of that tornado ... see the purple zone ... winds were 301 mph there ... not anywhere else ...

Do you have any pictures of this EF-5 damage? ... the most the photo in ding's post is EF-4 ... "houses destroyed and crumpled upon their respective foundations" ... do you see any houses swept clear of their respective foundations? ...

Yes or no ...
That’s not his point. Again, highest winds recorded! Never about damage as a result. That’s where you went incorrectly

Yes or no ...

1714838455523.png

1714838568043.png

1714838607983.png

1714838645364.png

The point is to reduce such damage as much as is practical.

Then stop building in flood zones, Hurricane landfalling zones, stop building cities are sea level, stop building cities inside of forested areas.... etc......

Then stop building in flood zones, Hurricane landfalling zones, stop building cities are sea level, stop building cities inside of forested areas.... etc......
New 'flood zones' are appearing all the time. :omg:
Most destructive house fires start inside of the house.

The point is to reduce such damage as much as is practical.
Your points were that structures should be made to withstand extreme weather events and that can be done without much extra cost. I'm disputing both points.

Your points were that structures should be made to withstand extreme weather events and that can be done without much extra cost. I'm disputing both points.
Some can afford it, others would have to sacrifice some bells and whistles, but it certainly can be done. It's like adding extra insulation. The upfront cost might be daunting but the savings in energy costs down the road makes up for it and then some. And as noted, insurance costs would be reduced as well. Another point in my favor is that such homes don't need to be made so large. So called smaller "starter homes" developments used to be common. Let's do that.

Some can afford it, others would have to sacrifice some bells and whistles, but it certainly can be done. It's like adding extra insulation. The upfront cost might be daunting but the savings in energy costs down the road makes up for it and then some. And as noted, insurance costs would be reduced as well. Another point in my favor is that such homes don't need to be made so large. So called smaller "starter homes" developments used to be common. Let's do that.
How exactly would they be made to be more durable? What needs to be done differently?

All of which will be subject to damage from extreme weather events.

How exactly would they be made to be more durable? What needs to be done differently?
Build houses out of solid wood. We do that now. They're called log homes or log cabins. They're stronger against flood, wind, and fire damage.

Forum List

Back