Off Message newsletter

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I've been a fan of Brian Beutler's political writing for a while now. He started a newsletter called Off Message. I get his emails, some of them with a lot of content. Here's from his latest. He makes very good points.

Democrats Need To Tell Better Stories

In an appearance on MSNBC this week, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi articulated her theory of the election, which in her mind will depend on emphasizing the real economic contrast between Joe Biden and Donald Trump.

“There are those who have real, legitimate concerns about immigration, globalization, innovation, and what does that mean for their job and their family’s future,” she said. “And we have to address those concerns. And Joe Biden is doing that—[he] created nine-million jobs in his term in office. Donald Trump has the worst record of job loss of any president.”

Regular readers know I doubt whether any recitation of facts, stripped from a larger storyline or contrast of character, will sway the kinds of voters she has in mind. And as if to prove my point, Pelosi’s interviewer, Katy Tur, chimed in to provide that kind of context—it just wasn’t the context Pelosi wanted to hear.

“That was a global pandemic,” she stipulated.

“He had the worst record of any president!” Pelosi shot back. “We’ve had other concerns in our country. If you want to be an apologist for Donald Trump, that may be your role, but it ain’t mine.”

The bitter exchange fits neatly into a larger story about Democrats reassessing their relationship with the mainstream media. Pelosi wanted voters to hear this unflattering contrast between Trump and Biden, Tur countered with mitigating context, and so Pelosi, instead of defending the point, pounded the table.

Many liberals found Pelosi’s response cathartic. But I think it would’ve been more effective and persuasive if she had demonstrated greater contextual fluency—if she knew how to tell a plausible story rather than recite a set of facts. I’m less interested in the exchange for what it reveals about the professional habits of mainstream media than for what it reveals about how people process information to form political opinions.

TUR-ING TEST​

That the country lost jobs on net under Trump is a fact. That Trump’s jobs record would have been net-positive but for the pandemic is also a fact. That the pandemic hit the United States harder economically and mortally than peer countries due to Trump’s derelictions of duty is also, to fair-minded people, indisputable. That peer countries, with more robust safety nets, had an easier time absorbing the initial economic shock of the pandemic is also true, and an embarrassment to the United States that predates Trump. On the fifth hand, Trump is the leader of a party that seeks to decimate our existing patchwork of social-insurance programs, and even tried to repeal the Affordable Care Act—a health-care system Democrats established over a decade ago specifically for working-age people who don’t or can’t get insurance from their employers. The ones that were shedding jobs by the million four years ago.

All of that context is valid. Most of it reflects poorly on Trump. Pelosi didn’t draw on any of it. Tur only drew on the exculpatory bits. Why is that? Why couldn’t Pelosi marshal more evidence that Trump failed the country in 2020, and why was Tur armed only with Trump-friendly spin?

Off Message needs your support to endure and grow. I hope you’ll consider becoming a paid subscriber.
Upgrade to paid

I think it has something to do with the fact that Democrats chose to wash their hands of pandemic politics (and of narrative-building generally) many years ago, while Trump has consistently exploited the pandemic to sidestep accountability for his many failures. “Biden has created a bunch of jobs” and “Trump’s jobs record isn’t really his fault because of the pandemic” are the two brickbats the parties bring to this particular fight, and so they were close at hand. But Pelosi’s weapon of choice was a fact, and Tur’s counterpoint was a story. A simple, legible story. And so to me it’s sort of no wonder Trump continues to whoop Biden in economic-stewardship polling, even as, under a full accounting of his record, it’d be insane to entrust him with the economy (to say nothing of another pandemic) ever again.

If Pelosi had been more nimble, she would’ve compared Trump to his peers overseeing advanced economies. That Trump had a worse jobs record than any president before him is a bit of a non-sequitur—most presidents don’t oversee pandemics! That Trump did a worse job than other leaders at the time is very relevant. She might also have insisted on some consistency: If reporters intend to give Trump a pass on his job-loss record, because the pandemic was a global phenomenon, they should also give Biden a pass on inflation, which was also a global, pandemic-induced phenomenon, too. And they should note that Biden’s inflation-fighting record outshined his peers, while during the acute phase of the pandemic under Trump, the U.S. was an international disgrace.

But it would be better if she, and Democrats in general, had stories of their own to tell.

The reason the Democratic Party is in poor condition is that it is run by octogenarians like Pelosi and Biden.

They are too old to get a clue, and no one below them will challenge the orthodoxy, fearing their chances at assuming a future vantage point might be threatened.

It is similar to the cult on the other side of the aisle, but without the extreme devotion.

The reason the Democratic Party is in poor condition is that it is run by octogenarians like Pelosi and Biden.

They are too old to get a clue, and no one below them will challenge the orthodoxy, fearing their chances at assuming a future vantage point might be threatened.

It is similar to the cult on the other side of the aisle, but without the extreme devotion.
Both parties have too many old people who don't know when to get off the stage.

My guess is that this is boiling down to two pretty simple things: Inflation and his age. Each has a caveat.

No, despite the ignorant ravings of MAGA, Biden didn't cause the inflation. But he's in office, it has been BAD, it happened under "his watch", and that's that. I really don't think much of the public looks any deeper than that. And regarding his age, he's only a little older than Trump but the images of the two are very different. Biden just looks frail, and Trump seems robust when his makeup is on and he's wearing a suit that gives him shoulders. Image matters.

Ask people what they think of Jan 6 and a quarter of the country won't know what you're talking about. Ask people what they think of what Trump has said he's going to do if elected and at least half the country won't know what you're talking about. On and on.

I think the election is Trump's to lose, and since there are no standards for him, that's good news for MAGA.

And Joe Biden is doing that—[he] created nine-million jobs in his term in office. Donald Trump has the worst record of job loss of any president.”
Notice that Trump created jobs for American citizens at a much faster rate than for foreigners, and the converse is true for Biden...

1714138232249-png.937999

Biden has "created" about zero additional jobs for American citizens compared to Trump's peak.

[Source]

I've been a fan of Brian Beutler's political writing for a while now. He started a newsletter called Off Message. I get his emails, some of them with a lot of content. Here's from his latest. He makes very good points.

In an appearance on MSNBC this week, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi articulated her theory of the election, which in her mind will depend on emphasizing the real economic contrast between Joe Biden and Donald Trump.

“There are those who have real, legitimate concerns about immigration, globalization, innovation, and what does that mean for their job and their family’s future,” she said. “And we have to address those concerns. And Joe Biden is doing that—[he] created nine-million jobs in his term in office. Donald Trump has the worst record of job loss of any president.”

Regular readers know I doubt whether any recitation of facts, stripped from a larger storyline or contrast of character, will sway the kinds of voters she has in mind. And as if to prove my point, Pelosi’s interviewer, Katy Tur, chimed in to provide that kind of context—it just wasn’t the context Pelosi wanted to hear.

“He had the worst record of any president!” Pelosi shot back. “We’ve had other concerns in our country. If you want to be an apologist for Donald Trump, that may be your role, but it ain’t mine.”

The bitter exchange fits neatly into a larger story about Democrats reassessing their relationship with the mainstream media. Pelosi wanted voters to hear this unflattering contrast between Trump and Biden, Tur countered with mitigating context, and so Pelosi, instead of defending the point, pounded the table.

Many liberals found Pelosi’s response cathartic. But I think it would’ve been more effective and persuasive if she had demonstrated greater contextual fluency—if she knew how to tell a plausible story rather than recite a set of facts. I’m less interested in the exchange for what it reveals about the professional habits of mainstream media than for what it reveals about how people process information to form political opinions.

TUR-ING TEST​

That the country lost jobs on net under Trump is a fact. That Trump’s jobs record would have been net-positive but for the pandemic is also a fact. That the pandemic hit the United States harder economically and mortally than peer countries due to Trump’s derelictions of duty is also, to fair-minded people, indisputable. That peer countries, with more robust safety nets, had an easier time absorbing the initial economic shock of the pandemic is also true, and an embarrassment to the United States that predates Trump. On the fifth hand, Trump is the leader of a party that seeks to decimate our existing patchwork of social-insurance programs, and even tried to repeal the Affordable Care Act—a health-care system Democrats established over a decade ago specifically for working-age people who don’t or can’t get insurance from their employers. The ones that were shedding jobs by the million four years ago.

All of that context is valid. Most of it reflects poorly on Trump. Pelosi didn’t draw on any of it. Tur only drew on the exculpatory bits. Why is that? Why couldn’t Pelosi marshal more evidence that Trump failed the country in 2020, and why was Tur armed only with Trump-friendly spin?

Off Message needs your support to endure and grow. I hope you’ll consider becoming a paid subscriber.
Upgrade to paid

I think it has something to do with the fact that Democrats chose to wash their hands of pandemic politics (and of narrative-building generally) many years ago, while Trump has consistently exploited the pandemic to sidestep accountability for his many failures. “Biden has created a bunch of jobs” and “Trump’s jobs record isn’t really his fault because of the pandemic” are the two brickbats the parties bring to this particular fight, and so they were close at hand. But Pelosi’s weapon of choice was a fact, and Tur’s counterpoint was a story. A simple, legible story. And so to me it’s sort of no wonder Trump continues to whoop Biden in economic-stewardship polling, even as, under a full accounting of his record, it’d be insane to entrust him with the economy (to say nothing of another pandemic) ever again.

If Pelosi had been more nimble, she would’ve compared Trump to his peers overseeing advanced economies. That Trump had a worse jobs record than any president before him is a bit of a non-sequitur—most presidents don’t oversee pandemics! That Trump did a worse job than other leaders at the time is very relevant. She might also have insisted on some consistency: If reporters intend to give Trump a pass on his job-loss record, because the pandemic was a global phenomenon, they should also give Biden a pass on inflation, which was also a global, pandemic-induced phenomenon, too. And they should note that Biden’s inflation-fighting record outshined his peers, while during the acute phase of the pandemic under Trump, the U.S. was an international disgrace.

But it would be better if she, and Democrats in general, had stories of their own to tell.
Democrats suck at massaging.

They haven't devoted their entire party to building a giant propaganda machine for the last 50 years like the republicans have.

The fact that they still win elections, mostly on policy alone, just tells you how much better their policies are than the competition's.

TUR-ING TEST​

Upgrade to paid

Good thing for Pelosi deficits didn't come up. She's been party to one of the biggest run-ups in recent history. We'll line out at 2.5 trillion this year and the Incontinent Celery Stalk will have us at 40 before 2028.

I'd like to see her talk her way out of that.

Democrats suck at massaging.

They haven't devoted their entire party to building a giant propaganda machine for the last 50 years like the republicans have.

The fact that they still win elections, mostly on policy alone, just tells you how much better their policies are than the competition's.

Super stupid comment from Kansas.....again.

The GOP has no messaging and the left-wing owns the MSM. That has been demonstrated time and time again.

Their policies SUCK.

And right now, they are the reason we are going to hit 40 trillion by 2028.

Great f**king policies.

Forum List

Back