Me and my bike.

Raynine

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2023
I can't believe I'm almost eighty. It's a miserable spring as usual but I have been riding my bike since March. By June I will be putting in fifty miles a day. I have three high-quality bikes. You need good bikes to do what I do so I spent money on them instead of smoking, drinking, and doing drugs. I enjoy eating as much as anyone but going to a restaurant and consuming super sized french fries off a plate the size of a Roman shield and drinking coffee out of a cup the size of a bucket was never a big deal to me. I like to keep my weight low; it helps me get up hills.

I did forty miles today and only saw one other bike. Back in the eighties when I first started on the bike I used to see a lot more bikes out there. I worry about all this computer technology and websites turning people into watchers instead of doers. I go to the gym seven days a week because bone density is important and cycling doesn't do much for that. Cycling requires balance and spatial awareness and it stimulates the brain as much as the legs. I'm not concerned about dementia because neural connections are strentghened with every peddle stroke.

Like a lot of things in life the hardest part of my ride is the first step out the door. After that it's automatic. I'm close to eighty years old and I still chase the wind on my bike like a kid in school. I made some good choices a long time ago.

Carry on,

Ray

That's good to hear, a local bike club around here used to always have well attended week night rides back 15-20 years ago, I would go with various different groups on different weeknights, and some weekends. Many of those folks are your age now too and don't do the weeknight rides, and younger members never really replaced them. There is only a medium sized group that meets anymore and it can only be a couple people going some evenings, but there is a retiree group that does daytime rides in the summer. I don't see as many people riding these days like I did 20 years ago.

I can't believe I'm almost eighty. It's a miserable spring as usual but I have been riding my bike since March. By June I will be putting in fifty miles a day. I have three high-quality bikes. You need good bikes to do what I do so I spent money on them instead of smoking, drinking, and doing drugs. I enjoy eating as much as anyone but going to a restaurant and consuming super sized french fries off a plate the size of a Roman shield and drinking coffee out of a cup the size of a bucket was never a big deal to me. I like to keep my weight low; it helps me get up hills.

I did forty miles today and only saw one other bike. Back in the eighties when I first started on the bike I used to see a lot more bikes out there. I worry about all this computer technology and websites turning people into watchers instead of doers. I go to the gym seven days a week because bone density is important and cycling doesn't do much for that. Cycling requires balance and spatial awareness and it stimulates the brain as much as the legs. I'm not concerned about dementia because neural connections are strentghened with every peddle stroke.

Like a lot of things in life the hardest part of my ride is the first step out the door. After that it's automatic. I'm close to eighty years old and I still chase the wind on my bike like a kid in school. I made some good choices a long time ago.

Carry on,

Ray
I'm 70. I can't do much more that 15 miles a day, but enjoy riding still. Was a fast racer back in the day. No more. My favorite bike:
image.jpg

A very comfortable ride.

Carry on,

Ray

If you do not mind sharing, what kind of bikes do you have?

If you do not mind sharing, what kind of bikes do you have?
I have three Cannodales, a 1994 Cannondale R800 that is about two sizes too big for me, a six-13 that I got in in 2008, and my number one bike is a Cannondale super six Hi-mod that I got in 2013. Before that I had an old Pugeot that I bought from a fellow runner. That bike was about four sizes too big for me. In 2008 I went to mass and was measured for the bike. I am small, 5'5 and 140 pounds-down to about 130 by the end of the season. The right size bike is huge.

I did many group rides and races. I never won a race but was always able to stay in the main peloton. Even the oldest of the riders I rode with were about 12 years older than me. I would work a ten hour day and then grab a wheel in the group and hold on.

I have very expensive wheels on all the bikes.

Last edited:
I have three Cannodales, a 1994 Cannondale R800 that is about two sizes too big for me, a six-13 that I got in in 2008, and my number one bike is a Cannondale super six Hi-mod that I got in 2013. Before that I had an old Pugeot that I bought from a fellow runner. That bike was about four sizes too big for me. In 2008 I went to mass and was measured for the bike. I am small, 5'5 and 140 pounds-down to about 130 by the end of the season. The right size bike is huge.

I did many group rides and races. I never won a race but was always able to stay in the main peloton. Even the oldest of the riders I rode with were about 12 years older than me. I would work a ten hour day and then grab a wheel in the group and hold on.

Damn, nice bikes for sure.

My wife and I recently moved to a house that is about 1/4 mile from a bike path entrance. Our county has a few hundred miles of old rail lines turned into bike paths. When I used to do marathons my wife would drop me off about 20 miles from home and I could run the whole way back minus the last mile on a bike path and never have to worry about traffic.

We are looking to get bikes this summer, but we are not looking to be racing, just riding working up to 10 to 15 miles at a shot. I do not want to be hunched over like the bikes I used to ride back in the day, we are looking more for comfort than speed.

Damn, nice bikes for sure.

My wife and I recently moved to a house that is about 1/4 mile from a bike path entrance. Our county has a few hundred miles of old rail lines turned into bike paths. When I used to do marathons my wife would drop me off about 20 miles from home and I could run the whole way back minus the last mile on a bike path and never have to worry about traffic.

We are looking to get bikes this summer, but we are not looking to be racing, just riding working up to 10 to 15 miles at a shot. I do not want to be hunched over like the bikes I used to ride back in the day, we are looking more for comfort than speed.
Consider electric. They are getting huge around here. You can still get a good workout on an electric bike but on hills you can get an assist. A lot of the guys I rode with back in the day have electric bikes now and they love them.

Carry on,

Ray
1. Congratulations on making those choices!!!

2. I worry about President Biden riding his bike, for he is not in your good shape.

3. I am now 87.

4. Until two years ago, I used to walk for 3 or 4 miles several times a week.

5. There is nothing as exhilarating as exercise that you LOVE.

6. I can no longer do so because a doctor gave me some medicine that robbed me of all my strength.

7. Hope you can continue to (safely) ride your bike for many more years.

Carry on,

Ray
The fewer bikes the better as far as i’m concerned

They are a nuisance and a traffic hazard

1. Congratulations on making those choices!!!

2. I worry about President Biden riding his bike, for he is not in your good shape.

3. I am now 87.

4. Until two years ago, I used to walk for 3 or 4 miles several times a week.

5. There is nothing as exhilarating as exercise that you LOVE.

6. I can no longer do so because a doctor gave me some medicine that robbed me of all my strength.

7. Hope you can continue to (safely) ride your bike for many more years.
I can no longer do so because a doctor gave me some medicine that robbed me of all my strength. [quote/]

I have heard that from others.

The fewer bikes the better as far as i’m concerned

They are a nuisance and a traffic hazard
I ride on roads away from city traffic. I stay to the right. I lay out all my courses with as many right turns as possible so I will not have to cross traffic. I avoid roundabouts. I signal all my turns. I know the danger. I risk it because the benefits are worth it.

I ride on roads away from city traffic. I stay to the right. I lay out all my courses with as many right turns as possible so I will not have to cross traffic. I avoid roundabouts. I signal all my turns. I know the danger. I risk it because the benefits are worth it.
Good luck and ride safely

I'm now 95 years of age. I still walk a 3k per day on my land. It is slow but well worth the effort. Every once in awhile I have an ice cold Heineken after. My wife says I shouldn't but at my age I want to enjoy a cold one now and then. At this point it's about the moments. A cold berr sitting on my deck watching some deer and turkeys. My paradise.

Forum List

Back