Have you traveled on Amtrak overnight?

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Just spent a couple days on the California Zephyr, boarding in Chicago for Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The terminus is Emeryville, California, which is located near San Francisco.

I'd like to reserve comment and hear from others who have overnighted in a roomette on Amtrak. I can say one thing, the food is good. They got that part right.

Just spent a couple days on the California Zephyr, boarding in Chicago for Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The terminus is Emeryville, California, which is located near San Francisco.

I'd like to reserve comment and hear from others who have overnighted in a roomette on Amtrak. I can say one thing, the food is good. They got that part right.

I didn't do the roomette, because I broke my trip down into sections between cities. around 2 days in each city between train trips.

From NYC went to Pittsburgh, Chicago, Omaha, Denver, Salt Lake City, then Reno. Trains were the Pennsylvanian, the Lake Shore Limited, then the California Zephyr.

Coach seats are as big as first class seats on an airplane, and after your first night or two you get used to it.

Longest section I did was 15 hours, usual duration between cities was 8-12 hours.

Hard seat on a rickety old train from Beijing to Chengdu was a long, uncomfortable challenge.

We have traveled by train, but not overnight.

Look for groups that specialize in train travel. There are a few.

Oh Heavens....

The hubby and I took Amtrak from Sanford, Florida to Boston, Mass. almost 30 years ago when we first moved to New England ....just for the experience...the company that hired me paid for the trip....we could have obviously gone by plane but thought....why not try something different!

The whole trip was fun! But we didn't sleep a wink, the converted bed in the room was awful! Never been so tired in our lives!

Oh, changed trains at grand central station to a Boston express...which we almost missed due to our train being late..

Went from Texas to NYC, it was interesting but was glad I had the fore thought to book a one way flight back.

Oh Heavens....

The hubby and I took Amtrak from Sanford, Florida to Boston, Mass. almost 30 years ago when we first moved to New England ....just for the experience...the company that hired me paid for the trip....we could have obviously gone by plane but thought....why not try something different!

The whole trip was fun! But we didn't sleep a wink, the converted bed in the room was awful! Never been so tired in our lives!

Oh, changed trains at grand central station to a Boston express...which we almost missed due to our train being late..

At least you got to go to Boston.

Forum List

Back