What's new

Archaeologists find 5,000-year-old tavern in Iraq, refrigerator still intact

Disir

Platinum Member
Reaction score
A 5,000-year-old tavern with an open-air dining area and a partial kitchen was uncovered by a team of archeologists from the Penn Museum in Iraq.

The tavern is located in the southern ancient Iraqi city of Lagash, now known as Al-Hiba. Archaeologists discovered that it had benches, a refrigerator, an oven and remains of old food.

Field Director Dr. Sara Pizzimenti from the University of Pisa suggested that instead of digging straight down, the team should use a different approach by excavating the area by digging horizontally. The team found the tavern was only 19 inches below the surface by following that approach.
Archaeologists find 5,000-year-old tavern in Iraq, refrigerator intact

This is really cool. I actually just read a book that dealt with the history of alcohol use and Mesopotamia had chewy beer. I am glad that somethings never change but I am really, really glad that some things, like beer, change.

Yeah, I love how they always put a photo of what its NOT.
Why can't they post the REAL picture, it's not like its a secret or anything.

no, its real !

Last edited:
A 5,000-year-old tavern with an open-air dining area and a partial kitchen was uncovered by a team of archeologists from the Penn Museum in Iraq.

I heard about that. Hey, remember, 5,000 years ago, all they had to do was to eat well and party hard by night after going out all day long on campaigns and raids!

Still some debate on why grain started to be cultivated. Was it bread or beer that came first?

Forum List

Back
Top Bottom