After a lot of consideration, USMB Staff has decided to try an alternate format for this Front Page forum. The purpose of having a Front Page Forum is to attract new eyes and views and have something fresh, informative and up to date in that spot.
Got to credit Lucy Hamilton for asking about a "Breaking News" forum, because that's what prompted this experiment. We do fine with breaking news threads in their own relevant forums right now, but it's a convenient way to give us better recruitment "advertising" on the Front Page.
So here's the outline of the "experiment". Any Poster may choose to place a "Breaking News" story in that forum SUBJECT TO the rules provided below. You don't HAVE to place such threads in THIS forum. You can still put them in appropriate forums. If there's a thread in the Home Page forum on this news flash, we MAY consolidate threads from lower forums to the Front Page forum when a story breaks -- especially if they started in another Zone2 forum. Posters should put EXTRA effort into preparing the OP. Wait 5 minutes or whatever's necessary to get adequate details. Include as much as you can. Multiple Links or Pics PREFERRED. Rules for that forum will be as follows:
1) Zone2 Rules
2) OP must be about news no older than 24 hours when posted. News can be about any broad interest subject.
3) Story must be linked to at least one major news outlet, newspaper or periodical. Other secondary links encouraged.
4) Members should include the Breaking News: prefix in front of the Title. (Admin may do this automatically for us -- so check current usage.)
5) Moderation reserves the right to move and place in a more appropriate forum. OR to move brand new threads to this Front Page forum..
6) Keep the conversations on the news topic as details comes in. Serious derailments will result in closure. And try to NOT extend the conversations much past the point where it's no longer "breaking".
At least one man was injured Tuesday night in yet another reported package explosion in Austin, Texas, investigators said -- just the latest in a string of blasts that have killed two people over the past month.
Tuesday night's explosion unfolded on Brodie Lane in southwestern Austin, the county's EMS tweeted.
The victim, in his 30s, suffered injuries that were "potentially serious, not expected to be life threatening," investigators said. Paramedics rushed the man to a hospital.
The main discussion is about the drug issue, but he also spoke again, about the desire to reform some inmates. As he said "giving them a second chance". Even went to far as to say some employers are quite happy with the employees are "good people".
This was something his son-in-law Jared worked on and I support it. As with ALL people in society who due to circumstance or immaturity they make a bad decision in life, not all are life time criminals. It's costly economically and socially to destroy peoples live when they can be excelling in the country.
I know from experience, there are some really bad actors in some police forces and abuses of security apparatuses come at multiple levels and often with little accountability (at least in Caanda). I knew of some guys who went the wrong way even though they were intelligent and even philosophical about life, they were screwed over at a young age and were never "allowed" to recover.
Update: In fairness, Van Jones actually gave him credit for this and other issues. Though he disagrees with the death penalty for the drug pushers.