Zombies !

Feb 22, 2011
Texas
Social Media: Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse

The following was originally posted on CDC Public Health Matters Blog May 16th, 2011 by Ali S. Khan.

Image of zombie

There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example. That’s right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens you’ll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.

A Brief History of Zombies
We’ve all seen at least one movie about flesh-eating zombies taking over (my personal favorite is Resident EvilExternal Web Site Icon.), but where do zombies come from and why do they love eating brains so much? The word zombie comes from Haitian and New Orleans voodoo origins. Although its meaning has changed slightly over the years, it refers to a human corpse mysteriously reanimated to serve the undead. Through ancient voodoo and folk-lore traditions, shows like the Walking Dead were born.

Photo: A couple dressed as zombies - Danny Zucco and Sandy Olsson from the movie Grease walking in the annual Toronto Zombie Walk.

A couple dressed as zombies - Danny Zucco and Sandy Olsson from the movie Grease walking in the annual Toronto Zombie Walk.
In movies, shows, and literature, zombies are often depicted as being created by an infectious virus, which is passed on via bites and contact with bodily fluids. Harvard psychiatrist Steven Schoolman wrote a (fictional) medical paper on the zombies presented in Night of the Living Dead and refers to the condition as Ataxic Neurodegenerative Satiety Deficiency Syndrome caused by an infectious agent. The Zombie Survival Guide identifies the cause of zombies as a virus called solanum. Other zombie origins shown in films include radiation from a destroyed NASA Venus probe (as in Night of the Living Dead), as well as mutations of existing conditions such as prions, mad-cow disease, measles and rabies.

The rise of zombies in pop culture has given credence to the idea that a zombie apocalypse could happen. In such a scenario zombies would take over entire countries, roaming city streets eating anything living that got in their way. The proliferation of this idea has led many people to wonder “How do I prepare for a zombie apocalypse?”

Well, we’re here to answer that question for you, and hopefully share a few tips about preparing for real emergencies too!

Better Safe than Sorry

Photo: Some of the supplies for your emergency kit.

Some of the supplies for your emergency kit.
So what do you need to do before zombies…or hurricanes or pandemics for example, actually happen? First of all, you should have an emergency kit in your house. This includes things like water, food, and other supplies to get you through the first couple of days before you can locate a zombie-free refugee camp (or in the event of a natural disaster, it will buy you some time until you are able to make your way to an evacuation shelter or utility lines are restored). Below are a few items you should include in your kit, for a full list visit the CDC Emergency page.

Water (1 gallon per person per day)
Food (stock up on non-perishable items that you eat regularly)
Medications (this includes prescription and non-prescription meds)
Tools and Supplies (utility knife, duct tape, battery powered radio, etc.)
Sanitation and Hygiene (household bleach, soap, towels, etc.)
Clothing and Bedding (a change of clothes for each family member and blankets)
Important documents (copies of your driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate to name a few)
First Aid supplies (although you’re a goner if a zombie bites you, you can use these supplies to treat basic cuts and lacerations that you might get during a tornado or hurricane)

Once you’ve made your emergency kit, you should sit down with your family and come up with an emergency plan. This includes where you would go and who you would call if zombies started appearing outside your door step. You can also implement this plan if there is a flood, earthquake, or other emergency.

Photo: Family members meeting by their mailbox. You should pick two meeting places, one close to your home and one farther away.

Family members meeting by their mailbox. You should pick two meeting places, one close to your home and one farther away.
Identify the types of emergencies that are possible in your area. Besides a zombie apocalypse, this may include floods, tornadoes, or earthquakes. If you are unsure contact your local Red Cross chapter for more information. Family members meeting by their mailbox. You should pick two meeting places, one close to your home and one farther away
Pick a meeting place for your family to regroup in case zombies invade your home…or your town evacuates because of a hurricane. Pick one place right outside your home for sudden emergencies and one place outside of your neighborhood in case you are unable to return home right away.
Identify your emergency contacts. Make a list of local contacts like the police, fire department, and your local zombie response team. Also identify an out-of-state contact that you can call during an emergency to let the rest of your family know you are ok.
Plan your evacuation route. When zombies are hungry they won’t stop until they get food (i.e., brains), which means you need to get out of town fast! Plan where you would go and multiple routes you would take ahead of time so that the flesh eaters don’t have a chance! This is also helpful when natural disasters strike and you have to take shelter fast.

Never Fear – CDC is Ready

Photo: Get a Kit, Make a Plan, Be Prepared

Get a Kit, Make a Plan, Be Prepared
If zombies did start roaming the streets, CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak. CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation. This assistance might include consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine). It’s likely that an investigation of this scenario would seek to accomplish several goals: determine the cause of the illness, the source of the infection/virus/toxin, learn how it is transmitted and how readily it is spread, how to break the cycle of transmission and thus prevent further cases, and how patients can best be treated. Not only would scientists be working to identify the cause and cure of the zombie outbreak, but CDC and other federal agencies would send medical teams and first responders to help those in affected areas (I will be volunteering the young nameless disease detectives for the field work).

CDC EPR | Social Media | Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse - Blog

They didn't always eat brains. In the 1932 classic, Lugosi's "White Zombie" they worked in a sugar factory. In "Return of the Living Dead" a zombie was asked why she ate brains and she replied that being dead hurts and human brains ease the pain. The classic modern zombie movie "Night of the living dead" was made in 1968 in a farmhouse in New Jersey for a budget of around $500 and Drive-In audiences were shocked by the living dead in black and white apparently consuming chunks of flesh.

• Banned
They didn't always eat brains. In the 1932 classic, Lugosi's "White Zombie" they worked in a sugar factory. In "Return of the Living Dead" a zombie was asked why she ate brains and she replied that being dead hurts and human brains ease the pain. The classic modern zombie movie "Night of the living dead" was made in 1968 in a farmhouse in New Jersey for a budget of around $500 and Drive-In audiences were shocked by the living dead in black and white apparently consuming chunks of flesh.

That movie is a classic.

Amazon has a great shopping list for the Zombie Apocalypse!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Apocalypse-Survival-List/lm/R83QYUW7TXJUL[/ame]

Last edited:
Well that sucks. Amazon links appear to no longer work.

:(

@ the uppity nymph - link doesn't work.

Awesome thread, the cdc doesn't mention it, but make sure to well stocked on ammo as well.

I picked up one of these recently, pretty badass

Smith & Wesson Disaster Ready Kits

pretty basic, but it fits into my larger shtf kit nicely.

You should see my wife and I's "emergency preparedness kit". Several thousand rounds of ammo in .45, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .223 and .38 special. Of course, we shoot through it pretty quick, so have to keep stocking up, but that is over half the fun! I feel sorry for the zombie(s) that try to go after my wife, especially since her favorite movie is Dawn of the Dead. The remake, not the original. ;-)

Well if CDC put that out then I have to give them props . I showed that to my Boy and he went and dug threw his bag that I put together for him. It is a fun way to promote preparedness and they should do more. I have tried to get the guys I work with to do it, but they figure that only survivalist types do that stuff. Really folks, go to Wally, get some cans of food, take an empty 2 liter soda bottle and fill that thing with water and stuff it in the bag. Get some matches and a few lighters and a first aid kit and throw it in there and be sure to put some pepto or something in there. At some point after 3 days or so of living out of your bag you will get the trots. You will have to stay on top of hydration. Haveing the runs will make it even more important. Be sure to have a cutting tool of some type. those folding box knives are good and cheap and will do fine. As for guns, keep them put up. During and after hurricane Ike I witnessed the confiscation of four fire arms. Know why ? they were not being transported in accordance with the laws of Texas. If you include guns in your gear, then look into CCW and keep the rifle in a case in accordance with your states laws. You can build this small kit for under $200, cheaper if you dig around your house. And you will feel better knowing that when the zombies come, you are ready to get the hell out of there. If any one wants, I can PM the contents of my bag and a break down of the cost ($110.00) and ware I got it all.

somebody at CDC has a sense of humor. :D

Yeah, pretty cool to know they are not all stiffs in space suits huh ? I also believe that it was put out as a cute way to promote disaster preparedness.

Seems to be the case. I thought it was pretty funny

It's quite funny and a very catchy way to get the emergency preparedness point across.

Know what else is funny? The CDC really did do this and yet . . . this thread ended up in the CT forum.

The USMB admin has a funny. :lol:

Yeah, pretty cool to know they are not all stiffs in space suits huh ? I also believe that it was put out as a cute way to promote disaster preparedness.

It's quite funny and a very catchy way to get the emergency preparedness point across.

Know what else is funny? The CDC really did do this and yet . . . this thread ended up in the CT forum.

No one would have looked if it were in any other forum.

5 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen
By: TE Sloth, David Wong October 29, 2007 9,147,775 views
86KShare
77digg
Email

We found out recently that if you try to leave a little kid in a graveyard late at night, he'll freak out. Even if you offer to leave him a gun to protect himself. Why? It's because on some instinctual level, all humans know it's just a matter of time until the zombies show up.

Our culture is full of tales of the undead walking the Earth, from our religions to our comic books. But, some sort of zombie apocalypse isn't actually possible, right?

Right?

Guys?

Actually, yes. It's quite possible. Here's five ways it could happen, according to science.
#5.
Brain Parasites

As seen in ...
Resident Evil IV

What are they?
Parasites that turn victims into mindless, zombie-like slaves are fairly common in nature. There's one called toxoplasmosa gondii that seems to devote its entire existence to being terrifying.

This bug infects rats, but can only breed inside the intestines of a cat. The parasite knows it needs to get the rat inside the cat (yes, we realize this sounds like the beginning of the most fucked-up Dr. Seuss poem ever) so the parasite takes over the rat's freaking brain, and intentionally makes it scurry toward where the cats hang out. The rat is being programmed to get itself eaten, and it doesn't even know.

Of course, those are just rats, right?

How it can result in zombies:
Hey, did we mention that half the human population on Earth is infected with toxoplasmosa, and don't know it? Hey, maybe you're one of them. Flip a coin.

Oh, also, they've done studies and shown that the infected see a change in their personality and have a higher chance of going batshit insane.

Chances this could cause a zombie apocalypse:
Humans and rats aren't all that different; thats why they use them to test our drugs. All it takes is a more evolved version of toxoplasmosa, one that could to do us what it does to the rats. So, imagine if half the world suddenly had no instinct for self-preservation or rational thought. Even less than they do now, we mean.

If you're comforting yourself with the thought that it may take forever for such a parasite to evolve, you're forgetting about all the biological weapons programs around the world, intentionally weaponizing such bugs. You've got to wonder if the lab workers don't carry out their work under the unwitting command of the toxoplasmosa gondii already in their brains. If you don't want to sleep at night, that is.

You may be protesting that technically these people have never been dead and thus don't fit the dictionary definition of "zombies," but we can assure you that the distinction won't matter a whole lot once these groaning hordes are clawing their way through your windows.

Read more: 5 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen | Cracked.com 5 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen | Cracked.com

5 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen | Cracked.com

If you had titled the thread differently (including CDC in the title) they would have looked and gotten the info. Now it's just another CT thread. <sigh>

If you had titled the thread differently (including CDC in the title) they would have looked and gotten the info. Now it's just another CT thread. <sigh>

Do we really want them all to get it ?

Forum List

Back