Zogby: Obama up by 5

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
I think this is beginning to show McCain that his smear tactics are backfiring.

Obama opens 5-point lead on McCain - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrat Barack Obama has opened a 5-point lead over Republican rival John McCain in the White House race and expanded his support among women voters, according to a Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll released Friday.

Obama leads McCain 48 percent to 43 percent among likely U.S. voters in the national poll, up slightly from a 4-point advantage for Obama Thursday. The poll has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.

Obama's edge among women, an important swing voting bloc in the November 4 election, grew from 9 to 12 points. Obama also gained among Hispanics and young voters and leads by 10 points among independents.

Obama's edge has expanded amid intensifying economic fears as financial markets have tumbled this week. Half of the polling, conducted Monday through Thursday, was done after Tuesday's second presidential debate.

"Obama is benefiting from the terrible economic news and what was seen to be a relatively poor debate performance by McCain," pollster John Zogby said.

McCain, 72, a former Navy fighter pilot and Vietnam prisoner of war, fell behind Obama among voters with a member of the military in their family. The Arizona senator runs even with Obama among voters older than 65.

"McCain is not doing well with the groups he needs to succeed," Zogby said. "We're not ready to call it a tailspin, but he is slipping."

Obama, an Illinois senator, has solidified his lead in most national polls in recent weeks as the Wall Street crisis focused attention on the economy, where polls show voters have more faith in Obama's leadership.

Independent Ralph Nader had the support of 2 percent of poll respondents and Libertarian Bob Barr registered 1 percent. Four percent of voters said they were still undecided.

The rolling tracking poll surveyed 1,203 likely voters in the presidential election. In a tracking poll, the most recent day's results are added while the oldest day's results are dropped in an effort to track changing momentum.

Wait wasn't he up by 11 the other day?

Yeah, in the gallup poll he's up by 11. He still is. Different people use different methodologies to poll people. Zogby is one of the most accurate, though. Zogby had Obama at 2 points the other day.

Toast.jpg

Last edited:
Paperboy, what's the day of the week?

I'll give you a hint:

FRIDAY

Good Point. Been a long week and the brain is a bit fried. McCain's
Toast.jpg
unless something BIG happens i.e. Rezko, Iran attack or something else no one has even thought of.

:scared1:

Last edited:
I would agree he is probably up by 5 with a high 2% sampling error. I don't buy a landslide victory for either side, but a lot can happen between now and E day.

Still, I love your excitement when a 1 pount bounce occurs. You must also have a penchant for shiny objects as well.

I would agree he is probably up by 5 with a high 2% sampling error. I don't buy a landslide victory for either side, but a lot can happen between now and E day.

Still, I love your excitement when a 1 pount bounce occurs. You must also have a penchant for shiny objects as well.

Actually he was up by 2 earlier in the week and now he's up by 5. That's a 150% increase.

I actually wouldn't mind it if McCain kept up the attacks, people are turning against McCain in droves. I predicted Alabama will be a swing state soon, I was wrong. What I didn't predict, was that the race in Georgia would be so tight. McCain is only up by 7.4% in Georgia. In a state that hasn't voted blue since 1976, that's something!

Actually he was up by 2 earlier in the week and now he's up by 5. That's a 150% increase.

I actually wouldn't mind it if McCain kept up the attacks, people are turning against McCain in droves. I predicted Alabama will be a swing state soon, I was wrong. What I didn't predict, was that the race in Georgia would be so tight. McCain is only up by 7.4% in Georgia. In a state that hasn't voted blue since 1976, that's something!

If polls were reliable predictors, we would see a lot more consistency between them. I come from a state that has always voted Democrat. For the past few years we have been purple, this year I have seen everything from Strong Obama to Leaning Obama to Tossup.

I am pretty skeptical of the polling process especially when you try to tie it to a campaign strategy and measure the movement in single percentage points. Your math is strange by the way.

I remember when McCain was up by a couple percent briefly, before people figured out that Poor Sarah was dumb as a log, republicans were citing those polls as signs of impending victory for Grandpa and the Dummy.

Now the polls aren't accurate enough?

Why the flip flop?

If polls were reliable predictors, we would see a lot more consistency between them. I come from a state that has always voted Democrat. For the past few years we have been purple, this year I have seen everything from Strong Obama to Leaning Obama to Tossup.

I am pretty skeptical of the polling process especially when you try to tie it to a campaign strategy and measure the movement in single percentage points. Your math is strange by the way.

One poll isn't a reliable predictor. The aggregate of polls are.

I remember when McCain was up by a couple percent briefly, before people figured out that Poor Sarah was dumb as a log, republicans were citing those polls as signs of impending victory for Grandpa and the Dummy.

Now the polls aren't accurate enough?

Why the flip flop?

Cause they only like polls when they can try to ram them up the butts of the left. Otherwise, truthiness makes them cranky.

But I'd say McCain being up by 4 in Ohio 2 weeks ago and narrowly holding on to 1 point is pretty big. And Obama being up by 4 on the Florida seesaw is big too. Could it change? Yep. But it isn't looking good for the Bushbots.

New Topics

Forum List

Back