Zipcode Administration

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Obamacare subsidies are determined by zipcode so it occurred to me that I had not seen a thread dealing with this subject and the problems it might cause.

[MENTION=40954]Antares[/MENTION], [MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION],

I can attest to this.

Health Insurance is less expensive through the .gov website, then it is in the county I live in.

Well it is supposed to affect:

Subsidies.

carriers

network physicians

That should end up causing relativey large differences over relatively short distances but I can't find out how much of that is already happening. The difference in potential profit to recipients and the costs to state/local governments should be huge.

Health care is inherently local. That hasn't changed, nor is it likely to.

Which is why this thread is on health insurance, not health care. :cuckoo:

Health insurance is how we finance most of our health care. Thus it, too, is local. Your insurer has to have relationships with your provider. The point being that it shouldn't be surprising that plan rating varies from region to region, even within a state. That's not a new (or avoidable) phenomenon.

Last edited:
So, who is in charge of kick-back investigations trying to figure out who at the federal, state, county or municipal level to end up with a mess like covered CA?

Health care is inherently local. That hasn't changed, nor is it likely to.

Which is why this thread is on health insurance, not health care. :cuckoo:

Health insurance is how we finance most of our health care. Thus it, too, is local.

Not any more.

Not when I don't get to keep my doctor.

Not when I have to drive two hours to see a new PCP.

Local, uh-uh.

Your insurer has to have relationships with your provider. The point being that it shouldn't be surprising that plan rating varies from region to region, even within a state. That's not a new (or avoidable) phenomenon.

Nice try at deflection, not.

Has to?
Clue: It doesn't.

The point of the OP is that the value of a person's subsidy is determined by the market. Some places are higher-cost, others are lower-cost. That's why any given person's subsidy is determined by the value of a benchmark plan in their local marketplace.

As long as costs vary across markets, so will the value of the affordability tax credits in the ACA.

the honeymoon prior to waiting line deaths becoming major national news stories in Cali. Hell on the local news the other day a no stats report on Jacksonville becoming a world medical tourism center implied we were getting experts from all over the country fleeing Obamacare. Do you have a clue as to how few actual expert physicians have seen an Obamacare patient yet? This is getting absurd.

The point of the OP is that the value of a person's subsidy is determined by the market. Some places are higher-cost, others are lower-cost. That's why any given person's subsidy is determined by the value of a benchmark plan in their local marketplace.

As long as costs vary across markets, so will the value of the affordability tax credits in the ACA.

Assuming families are allowed tax credits.

>$96K for a family of four in California will make that family bankrupt in two years or less.

the honeymoon prior to waiting line deaths becoming major national news stories in Cali. Hell on the local news the other day a no stats report on Jacksonville becoming a world medical tourism center implied we were getting experts from all over the country fleeing Obamacare. Do you have a clue as to how few actual expert physicians have seen an Obamacare patient yet? This is getting absurd.

My doctor is not accepting ACA patients.
Or Medicaid patients.

Other local PCPs are becoming hospitalists.

My doctor is not accepting ACA patients.
Or Medicaid patients.

Other local PCPs are becoming hospitalists.
I don't doubt it in the least.

Forum List

Back