Zero Tolerance = Zero Brain

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
While I'm in the middle of ranting on schools (thanks to the new education section), let's discuss yet another idiocy in public schools, that being zero tolerance policies. For those who don't know, a zero tolerance policy is a rediculously strict rule that a school implements to prevent any faculty member from having to think. More specifically, they typically ban certain objects, but since they're 'zero tolerance,' they also ban anything else that may loosely resemble those objects or substances. When people complain, the faculty can always just blame the rule.

For those who don't seem to understand the blight that is the zero tolerance trend, here are a few examples of when they go wrong, which is often, and these are just the ones I've seen personally.

A kid at my middle school was having a small headache problem from like an ear infection or something and brought Tylenol to school. The parent thought the policy that drugs must be checked in with the nurse meant perscriptions. The kid was caught with Tylenol and suspended for five days, the same they gave to the kids they caught with meth.

A guy at my high school (a state-funded honors boarding school) was working with his dad the day he came back to school after the weekend and accidentally left a keychain sized, dull pocketknife in his pocket. When he realized this, he tucked it in a drawer in his room so he could take it back home the next weekend. That week, the school did a thorough search of his entire suite after a maintanence guy went in to change a light bulb and saw a picture of an automatic weapon on his desktop (yes, that's right, it was a Mac 10 on a joke background for Mac OS X, and this constituted a thorough search of the room). After threatening to expel all three in the suite for having PVC pipe (which can be made into pipe bombs, apparently), they settled for expelling the guy for a knife that would be harder to kill with than bare hands.

At the same school, I, along with 4 other students, was almost suspended for leaving campus without checking out...to walk across the street to push a guy's stalled truck into a parking lot...with about a hundred people watching (the hour between study hours and curfew, so everybody was on the front lawn).

You see, zero tolerance policies are just another rediculous product of beauracracy that looks ten times better on paper than it could ever work. Like middle schools, it's a policy that simply doesn't work and needs to go away before it ruins the lives of more innocent kids.

Zero tolerance is just another example of institutions going overboard and being too afraid of lawsuits to use the intelligence God gave them.

My pet peve is the term: Zero Tolerance. Zero Tolerance doesn't make sense. If "Zero Tolerance" makes sense, then 7 Tolerance makes sense...143 Tolerance, too.

:)

dmp said:
My pet peve is the term: Zero Tolerance. Zero Tolerance doesn't make sense. If "Zero Tolerance" makes sense, then 7 Tolerance makes sense...143 Tolerance, too.

:)
Zero tolerance is a noun. Both words together form the noun. But I suppose there are plenty of English words that don't make sense.

The ClayTaurus said:
Zero tolerance is a noun. Both words together form the noun. But I suppose there are plenty of English words that don't make sense.
Like.... "American"?

J/K ;)

dmp said:
Zero as an adjective works w/ Tolerance - doesn't change the dumbness.

Zero is an adjective
Tolerance is a noun
Zero Tolerance is a noun. It's not zero and tolerance. It's zero tolerance. Look it up, dictionary lover.

The ClayTaurus said:
Zero is an adjective
Tolerance is a noun
Zero Tolerance is a noun. It's not zero and tolerance. It's zero tolerance. Look it up, dictionary lover.

Right - the way "Zero" can be before "tolerance" is because of Zero's Adjective-definition. The combined word is irrelevant here. And nothing changes the dumbness of the term. :)

dmp said:
Right - the way "Zero" can be before "tolerance" is because of Zero's Adjective-definition. The combined word is irrelevant here. And nothing changes the dumbness of the term. :)
But zero isn't an adjective in zero tolerance. It's part of a noun. It's a completely separate word. Using zero tolerance is no dumber than calling a Mexican an American.

The ClayTaurus said:
But zero isn't an adjective in zero tolerance. It's part of a noun. It's a completely separate word. Using zero tolerance is no dumber than calling a Mexican an American.

It has to be an ajective. It's decribing (the amount) of tolerance present.

The term "Zero Tolerance" is a label; therefore a noun.

Individually the words are an adjective and a noun. Zero describing the amount of tolerance.

Just as the phrase "fucking idiot" is a label; therefore a noun. Fucking as to the extent of the idiocy.

Individually the words are an adjective and a noun.

Just more examples of how the English language has been "adapted" to fit situations and agendas.

(my apologies for anyone offended by my example)

GotZoom said:
Zero tolerance is just another example of institutions going overboard and being too afraid of lawsuits to use the intelligence God gave them.

What did I tell ya? Fear of lawsuits is the biggest problem in public schools today, after sucky parents.

Forum List

Back