Zero Tolerance--Teen Suspended for Designated Driving

Erin Cox, Massachusetts Teen, Punished By School After Trying To Drive Home Intoxicated Friend

<While Cox was cleared by police who recognized her sobriety, her school has given her a harsh punishment. The 17-year-old was stripped of her title as captain of the volleyball team, and she was suspended from five games.

“But I wasn’t drinking,” Cox told the Boston Herald. “And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I’d give her a ride home.”

The Cox family filed a lawsuit against the school on Friday in an attempt to get officials to reverse the punishment. However, the district court judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction over the issue, local station WBZ-TV reports.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

However, an attorney for the school told the Boston Herald that officials are standing firm on the punishment. >

Please let there be an attorney that is up to this challenge.

I see no redeeming value in such a decision--the school board's.
This is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with the school, was not done on school property, during a school event, etc. They have no right to punish her for what she does outside of school events or off school property.

some where--pages back --I posted a quote from the student handbook--'anyone involved in athletics must never be where alcohol or drugs are consumed'--something like that.

They specify--'this code of conduct applies 24/7--in school or out'.

ok--how did they come up with the policies--typically the school staff, concerned parents and students work on the discipline code--if everybody thought it was appropriate for the community--I guess there are no issues? What was their motivation? Parents want the school to do what they 'cannot'? Is that it?

What do I know--I live on a blue island in a red state. Conflicting opinions would have been expressed--whatever discipline codes schools have adopted around here--I don't think most communities would support one like Andover's. Then again--a curfew ordinance was just passed for teenagers. So what do I know--not much.

The way that is written, an athlete...
...cannot be at a family gathering where wine is served with dinner.
...cannot go to Pizza Hut, 99 Restaurant, or TGI Friday's.
...cannot go to Fenway Park or Gillette Stadium.

Being an underage driver with an underage illegally intoxicated passenger is a traffic offence in many jurisdictions and a criminal offense in some regardless if the driver is sober. Would you have it any other way? Are kids so stupid that they don't understand the concept? The girl is lucky she was merely disciplined by the school. Can you dumb asses figure out what she should have done? If not you should think about your responsibilities as parents.

I posted (several times) what she should have done: tell her friend, "Sorry, can't do it. I know you're snockered, but you need to drive home anyway."

I posted (several times) what she should have done: tell her friend, "Sorry, can't do it. I know you're snockered, but you need to drive home anyway."

Yes, you have declared your advocacy of cowardice several times now. It's nothing to be proud of.

Being an underage driver with an underage illegally intoxicated passenger is a traffic offence in many jurisdictions and a criminal offense in some regardless if the driver is sober.

In which jurisdictions?

still talking about this--gotta admire your stamina.

here is something that happened locally--

guess we are headed into the holiday season--crime picks up around that time each year.

yesterday I read that a notorious gang leader received 3 life sentences--some LA gang--MS13 or something. glad he will be off the streets--hope they have rounded up others--working throughout areas in which I travel.

Police: DUI driver crashes into pharmacy, then flees to bar... | www.ajc.com

and

http://www.ajc.com/videos/news/convicted-sex-offender-arrested-after-following/vCF9FM/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back