Zero Dark Thirty

blackhawk

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2012
Deep in the heart of Texas.
I saw Zero Dark Thirty today very good it does not take any political sides and covers the ten year hunt for UBL very well you really appreciate the year's of work the CIA and other intelligence agencies went through over those ten years. As for the interrogation scenes that got so much hype that was somewhat overblown in my opinion these people were not treated nice to sure but they did not get beaten with whips or get electric shocks or get bamboo under the fingernails I think Kathryn Bigelow got shafted for being passed over for best director at the Academy Awards I hope this wins for best picture but for political reasons I doubt it will.

I saw Zero Dark Thirty today very good it does not take any political sides and covers the ten year hunt for UBL very well you really appreciate the year's of work the CIA and other intelligence agencies went through over those ten years. As for the interrogation scenes that got so much hype that was somewhat overblown in my opinion these people were not treated nice to sure but they did not get beaten with whips or get electric shocks or get bamboo under the fingernails I think Kathryn Bigelow got shafted for being passed over for best director at the Academy Awards I hope this wins for best picture but for political reasons I doubt it will.

I personally am not going to base my feelings on the 10 year hunt for OBL and especially the CIA's work, on some hollywood movie.

I'm sure it's entertaining though.

I personally am not going to base my feelings on the 10 year hunt for OBL and especially the CIA's work, on some hollywood movie.

Then might I suggest you read No Easy Day then.

Read Bowdens book, Black Hawk Down and then watch the movie You might be shocked at the accuracy

Point already made.

See 'Reviews' section.......

He should get the reward that was offered for Osama...
:eusa_eh:
'Nightmare' at home for SEAL who shot Osama bin Laden
February 11th, 2013 - He's the man who rolled into a bedroom in Abbottabad, Pakistan, raised his gun and shot Osama bin Laden three times in the forehead.
Nearly two years later, the SEAL Team Six member is a secret celebrity with nothing to show for the deed; no job, no pension, no recognition outside a small circle of colleagues. Journalist Phil Bronstein profiled the man in the March issue of Esquire, calling him only the Shooter - a husband, father and SEAL Team Six member who happened to pull the trigger on the notorious terrorist. It's a detailed account of how the raid unfolded, and what comes after for those involved. The headline splashed across the cover reads, "The man who killed Osama bin Laden ... is screwed." "They spent, in the case of the shooter, 16 years doing exactly what they're trained to do, which is going out on these missions, deployment after deployment, killing people on a regular basis, " said Bronstein, executive chairman of the Center for Investigative Reporting. "They finally get to the point where they don't want to do that anymore."

Bronstein reported that the man left SEAL Team Six in September. His family's health care coverage ceased. Because he left before the 20-year mark, he gets no pension. The Shooter is judicious about the details of his story and hasn't been involved in dramatic books, movies or video games that will make millions for some. It's out of loyalty to his work and concern about his family's safety. He worries what could happen if his name went public, like Matt Bissonette, the SEAL whose identity was revealed after he published the book "No Easy Day" using a pseudonym. Bronstein reported that the Shooter was offered some witness protection, but no such program exists yet.

Home life is a struggle, too. The Shooter and his wife are separated, Bronstein wrote, although they live in the same house - "on very friendly, even loving terms" - to save money. He has done consulting work, Bronstein told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in an interview to be broadcast Monday afternoon, but it's not clear how long it will last. "They suddenly find themselves trying to translate into a civilian world that they're not used, and they haven't been used to for decades," Bronstein said. "I think he has nightmares about how he's going to support his family, and how he's going to feed his family."

In a statement the Navy responded: "We have no information to corroborate these new assertions. We take seriously the safety and security of our people, as well as our responsibility to assist sailors making a transition to civilian life. Without more information about this particular case, it would be difficult to determine the degree to which our transition programs succeeded."

Source

See also:

Oops!...
:redface:
Esquire article wrongly claims SEAL who killed bin Laden is denied healthcare
February 11, 2013 - Esquire magazine claims “The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden ... Is Screwed.”
The story details the life of the Navy SEAL after the successful raid to take out the No. 1 terrorist, and it asserts that once the SEAL got out of the military he was left to fend for himself. “...here is what he gets from his employer and a grateful nation: Nothing. No pension, no health care, and no protection for himself or his family.” Except the claim about health care is wrong. And no servicemember who does less than 20 years gets a pension, unless he has to medically retire. Like every combat veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the former SEAL, who is identified in the story only as “the Shooter”, is automatically eligible for five years of free healthcare through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

But the story doesn’t mention that. The writer, Phil Bronstein, who heads up the Center for Investigative Reporting, stands by the story. He said the assertion that the government gave the SEAL “nothing” in terms of health care is both fair and accurate, because the SEAL didn’t know the VA benefits existed. “No one ever told him that this is available,” Bronstein said. He said there wasn’t space in the article to explain that the former SEAL’s lack of healthcare was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled. “That’s a different story,” Bronstein said in a phone interview with Stars and Stripes about what he omitted from the article. The Center for Investigating Reporting posted a story on its website today that goes into greater detail about the SEAL's interactions with the VA, including that he has a disability claim that is stuck in the backlog. Esquire magazine has not yet responded to a request for comment.

The story’s claims are getting a lot of buzz - The Washington Post picked up the detail about the SEAL's healthcare situation - disconcerting veteran advocates like Brandon Friedman, who served as an Army infantry officer in Iraq and Afghanistan and used to be a VA public affairs officer. “Misinformation like this doesn’t help veterans,” he said. “When one veteran hears in a high-profile story that another veteran was denied care, it makes him or her less likely to enroll in the VA system.”

Source

Last edited:
The cop who shot the Fort Hood terrorist scumbag who was massacreing our troops....she too would not get a pension, rich retirement, etc, if she quit before her retirement age/years of service came about. The reason our military, cops, firemen are heroes is that they do those jobs KNOWING there is not pot of gold waiting on them. Otherwise, it would be like a lottery.

As for Zero Dark Thirty- awesome movie!! The only gripe I had was that the lead actress, in the scene with the SEALS preplanning, she came across very snobbish when talking to them. I cant imagine in real life that a mere analyst would come across so arrogant and snobbish to SEALS like she did in that scene.

Dey droppin' the investigation - after movie misses out on Oscar...
:eusa_eh:
Senate panel drops 'Zero Dark Thirty' probe
February 26th, 2013 - The Senate Intelligence Committee has dropped its probe of the CIA's contacts with the makers of "Zero Dark Thirty."
The step was taken after the CIA responded to the panel's questions about whether the agency may have contributed to the movie's suggestion that harsh interrogations of a suspected terrorist helped find Osama bin Laden, a congressional aide said. The decision came just one day after the movie was shut out of any significant Academy Awards, a snub many felt came in part because of criticisms, including from members of Congress, that the movie glorified torture. A bipartisan group of senators expressed concern the CIA may have provided information about the search for the al Qaeda leader that might have "misled" the filmmakers. Deputy Director Mike Morell and other CIA officers met with movie director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal shortly after the May 2011 raid on the Pakistan compound where bin Laden was hiding.

The movie depicts harrowing scenes of a suspected terrorist being interrogated with waterboarding and some of other so-called enhanced interrogation techniques. The suggestion is those techniques helped identify the courier who led the CIA to the compound. One of the conclusions of a recent four-year study of the CIA's interrogation and detention program by the Intelligence Committee was that the CIA did not learn about the existence of the courier from any terrorist subjected to harsh interrogation. In a December letter to now Acting Director Morell, Democratic Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Carl Levin along with Republican Sen. John McCain asked the CIA to provide the Intelligence Committee all information and records the CIA, former officials and contractors provided the filmmakers about the raid.

The senators acknowledged at the time that the CIA could not be held responsible for how its activities were depicted in a movie. "The senators received additional information from the CIA in response to its questions," a congressional aide told CNN. "The committee doesn't plan additional investigations at this point." The three senators had also sent a letter in December to Sony Pictures Entertainment, the distributors of "Zero Dark Thirty," calling the film "grossly inaccurate and misleading" and asking the studio to publicly state the movie was not based on fact. In response to the criticism, Bigelow and Boal said the film condenses 10 years of intelligence work into a 2 1/2-hour film. "We depicted a variety of controversial practices and intelligence methods that were used in the name of finding bin Laden. The film shows that no single method was necessarily responsible for solving the manhunt," their statement said.

"Zero Dark Thirty" was one of the films nominated for best picture at this year's Academy Awards. It lost out to another CIA-related movie, "Argo," the story of the dramatic rescue of six Americans during the Iran hostage crisis that began when the U.S. Embassy in Tehran was seized by demonstrators in 1979. Some have suggested the negative publicity about "Zero Dark Thirty" effectively nixed its chances of winning the Oscar. In a separate but related matter, the committee is still waiting for Morell's answers to questions they have about a message he sent to the CIA workforce shortly after the movie was released last year. Morell stated that enhanced interrogation techniques played a role in finding bin Laden, but they were not as important as the movie implied. "Some came from detainees subjected to enhanced techniques, but there were many other sources as well," Morell said. The senators asked Morell to provide specific details about what information gathered from harsh interrogations helped find bin Laden.

Senate panel drops 'Zero Dark Thirty' probe ? CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

It doesn't take political sides? It takes the side that waterboarding is an effective method of getting information, which is wrong.

It doesn't take political sides? It takes the side that waterboarding is an effective method of getting information, which is wrong.

Fact: Waterboarding has been very effective. Considering what terrorists have done to American Civilians, they are getting off pretty easy.

No it didn't it merely showed it was used it did not take or or con
side on how effective it was I suspect your objection is because it did not take your side on the subject.

Forum List

Back