You're in Charge of Planning the First Martian Settlement

In reality, I think that the first colonies will be underground. Much easier to create a few small environmental seals than it is to build a dome for habitation that you see in so many movies.
Probably, but they could also transport a large 3d printer, designed for home construction, to build structures with adobe, before the first human settlers arrive. We already have those available today.

I don't really think that would be practical unless it was built inside an already existing containment structure.

Remeber, at first, it will have to be a barracks-style living arrangement until a suitable structure is built to contain the atmo we will need.

In reality, I think that the first colonies will be underground. Much easier to create a few small environmental seals than it is to build a dome for habitation that you see in so many movies.
Probably, but they could also transport a large 3d printer, designed for home construction, to build structures with adobe, before the first human settlers arrive. We already have those available today.
Hmm....a possibility. I'm not really familiar with 3D printing. What material does it use?
I added a youtube video on printing a house with concrete. Adobe, or foam, or a combination could be used.

I would go with a modular concept. Each module would have it's own solar panel sufficient to keep the module sufficiently warm during the night. Then just interconnect the modules together with some big tubes.

Hmm....a possibility. I'm not really familiar with 3D printing. What material does it use?
I added a youtube video on printing a house with concrete. Adobe, or foam, or a combination could be used.
Yes, I just finished watching it. Pretty cool. But I don't think it would be airtight and would still have to be built in either an underground cave, or inside a dome type structure that is environmentally sealed.

The very first priority will be creating a space that can hold onto air and heat.

A simple question. There are no trees on mars. There is likely no coal or oil. There is virtually no free oxygen. And the sun us just a fraction of the intensity of what it is on earth.

How exactly will you heat your settlement? It's cold on mars. VERY cold. So cold on mars that the CO2 in the faint atmosphere freezes into dry ice and falls to the ground as "snow."

How will you heat your first martian settlement?
Well once Elon Musk nukes the poles, the whole planet will be like New Zealand
No, it'll still be too far outside the liquid water zone.
That’s fake science by marxists

Heat?

Make it for lefties only. They're all full of hot air.

I would go with a modular concept. Each module would have it's own solar panel sufficient to keep the module sufficiently warm during the night. Then just interconnect the modules together with some big tubes.
Is solar panel technology advanced enough to generate that kind of output from a sun that will be orders of magnitude less than that on Earth?

Okay, I have to correct that. The output on Mars is roughly half of that on Earth, not orders of magnitude. My bad.

However, due to the much thinner atmosphere, a higher fraction of the solar energy reaches the surface. The maximum solar irradiance on Mars is about 590 W/m2 compared to about 1000 W/m2 at the Earth's surface. Also, year-round dust storms on Mars may block sunlight for weeks at a time.

Okay, I have to correct that. The output on Mars is roughly half of that on Earth, not orders of magnitude. My bad.

However, due to the much thinner atmosphere, a higher fraction of the solar energy reaches the surface. The maximum solar irradiance on Mars is about 590 W/m2 compared to about 1000 W/m2 at the Earth's surface. Also, year-round dust storms on Mars may block sunlight for weeks at a time
That's better than I thought. I didn't think large scale solar would be practical. Still think nuclear would be better. Lots of heat generated, and electricity.

Is solar panel technology advanced enough to generate that kind of output from a sun that will be orders of magnitude less than that on Earth?

However, due to the much thinner atmosphere, a higher fraction of the solar energy reaches the surface. The maximum solar irradiance on Mars is about 590 W/m2 compared to about 1000 W/m2 at the Earth's surface. Also, year-round dust storms on Mars may block sunlight for weeks at a time.
Good point about the dust storms I hadn't thought of that. I do feel that there is enough solar intensity at the surface in the Martian day to successfully heat small modular units for most of the days of a Martian year. You would need a secondary power source unless battery technology could advance to the point of storing solar panel generated power for a month.

I'd make my colony nuclear powered since Mars has no ecosystem for nuclear waste or accident to destroy. I'd also build the pressurizeded complex either in a cave or underground to protect against the meteorites & lethal solar radiation inherent to 2% atmospheric pressure.

Forum List

Back