You're here...You should consider going there and sharing your ideas where it matters...

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Insofar as you participate on USMB, you apparently think your ideas are worth other people's hearing/seeing them. Since that is case, I suggest registering for the 2018 Aspen Ideas Festival. There is very broad range of themes that'll be covered. The discussion themes from this year were:
  • Global Conflicts: Are There Paths to Peace?
  • Feeling the Heat: The Big Ideas on Climate
  • Inside Creativity
  • Making it in the USA
  • Moral Commitments, Moral Choices
  • Reimaging the Internet
  • The America I Know
  • The Art of Change
  • The Genetics Revolution
  • The Thinking Machine
  • Caregiving Intersections
  • Moonshots
  • The Brain
You can get a sense of how the discussions go here: Video and Audio | Aspen Ideas Festival.

The Ideas Festival is an excellent event at which many folks having bright ideas gather to exchange and build on them, as well as to network and collaborate to develop ways and means of seeing ideas set on a path to fruition. That said, it's not a place where one can just state what's wrong with other folks ideas. One must also come with one's own ideas and put them on the table.

Heard that idea before ...

lazy-teenager.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion.

It is likely most folks know there are other venues that offer structured learning opportunities as well as the opportunity to exchange ideas. Like free verse vs structured poetry - both are art forms. Some prefer one over the other, some appreciate both. This board and others like it, are recreational - the modern day equivalent of the town square where old men play checkers while endlessly discussing the state of world affairs, and old women endlessly discuss old men.

Each has its place and are not mutually exclusive. However, it is not my place to decide what matters to others, what matters to me is the only thing I can address with any degree of certainty - and even that varies from time to time.

This board and others like it, are recreational

There's plenty of recreational happenings at the Ideas Festival. Going to a conference like that is part "serious" and part vacation. People don't go to every lecture and panel discussion. Pick one or a few sessions that interest one, attend them, and have fun the rest of the time. The conference itself has specific entertainers who perform as well as there being plenty of recreational activity in and around Aspen.

This board [is] the modern day equivalent of the town square where old men play checkers while endlessly discussing the state of world affairs, and old women endlessly discuss old men.

LOL Well, perhaps so. We have places like that in D.C. One is walking distance from my home.

dupont-circle-fountain-and-people-enjoying-in-summer-credit-ted-eytan_flickr-user-taedc.jpg

Photo_Dupont_Circle_Fountain_people_3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2456ffc5bb5f6b6df927701c680f5cdb--dupont-circle-george-washington.jpg

Be that as it may, I'm not suggesting the Festival as an alternative to USMB, but rather as a means for folks to put their bright ideas before others who have bright ideas, and have some fun while doing so.

Forum List

Back