Your view on Code Pink

mattskramer

Apr 11, 2004
Texas
I am somewhat ambivalent about the war in Iraq now. I don’t know if I want us to continue to fight or if we have fought enough. Yet, I think that this organization’s antics do a disservice to their cause. I wanted to watch the show put on by The Heritage Foundation. Yet, to watch it, I had to endure what seemed like over five minutes of intrusive rants. I noticed that they have meeting planned based on information from their web site. Would they consider it okay for several people to practically break into their meetings and
interrupt them with ranting and raving? I seriously doubt it. They have meeting places. They are free to put together their own shows. They may even buy airtime on radio and television. Just as it would not be
right for people to interrupt their meetings, it is not right for them to barge in on other people’s meetings and interrupt people unless they are formally invited to do so. Again, in my opinion they are an embarrassment to their cause and might ironically be turning people against themselves.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SXccaCKDU[/ame]

You will anger certain members of this board that think "civil" disobedience is a god given right, well unless as you noted someone does it to something THEY support.

I do love how "freedom of Speech" must apply to them BUT not to the people they are interrupting.

You will anger certain members of this board that think "civil" disobedience is a god given right, well unless as you noted someone does it to something THEY support.

I do love how "freedom of Speech" must apply to them BUT not to the people they are interrupting.

Civil disobedience had its place in time – a time when it was difficult to communicate your message. It also had its appropriate forms – refusing to give up your seat on a bus should not have prevented a bus from making its rounds. Refusing to leave a “Whites Only” restaurant should not have prevented the restaurant from working. When a room it rented for a meeting, time and resources are limited. Gatecrashing is wrong. I’d make the same criticism against those who block abortion clinic doors. Today, there are so many resources available to people if they want to get their message across. There is no need to interrupt meetings and interfere with people’s activities in such a manner. I’d like to ask Code Pink if it thinks that it would be okay for people to crash their meetings in the name of civil disobedience.

Are their meetings public knowledge and in public places?

One can not break into a private home to protest. A Buisness is another story.

I suggest if they are you write to opposition groups and suggest they do the same to them.

What so many do not realize - especially, among the public at large - is that the loudest mouth is not necessarily the most just, which is why we are seeing more and more organized disruptions taking place throughout the country.

These grass roots efforts are aptly named, if nothing else. I'd like to see them move into the 21st century myself.

The scary part is that the media will always highlight such occurrences among their headlines and thus, the message they are carrying will always be spread - right or, wrong.

I say it's wrong.

What the rest of us need to realize right now is that we can no longer be comfortably quiet in our status quos. Otherwise, we will continue to wake up each morning to find more and more of what we have taken for granted has been snatched away from us by those who engage in these sorts of public protest - many of who will claim they participated not because they believed in or, even knew the cause, but instead, merely because it was fun to speak out.

In other words, if we do nothing, we run the risk of allowing our public conversation, morality and thinking to be dominated by a bunch of unruly blooming idiots.

snip

Its hilarious when you just pull stuff out of your ass.

I personally have never heard a liberal say that anti-abortion protesters shouldn't be allowed to protest at abortion clinics.

Its hilarious when you just pull stuff out of your ass.

I personally have never heard a liberal say that anti-abortion protesters shouldn't be allowed to protest at abortion clinics.

You need to get out more---Liberals have even taken this issue to court.

You need to get out more---Liberals have even taken this issue to court.

LOL

Did liberal try to "ban" anti-abortion protests at clinics? Or, did they simply file lawsuits, such that the protesters couldn't block the doors?

If an anti-abortion protester wants to lay down in the door of a clinic, fine. I'm not going to have a heart attack. I also support the right of the police to remove that person from the doorway for infringing on the rights of others.

I'm assuming the code pink gals were removed? Or were they allowed to stand there and yell during the whole speech?

You know the answer to that. So, you can admit now, that my view it totally consistent. On both sides.

Look everyone, just give up. Just close your eyes for the next year or so, and eventually this war and this president will go away and bad policy will be a thing of the past. It wont upset you watching the news anymore. If Al-quada somehow finds the money to fund another large US attack, well maybe we will be ready for them this time, all you need is really tight boarders. Why stay on the offense? Since when did offense win championships? Its defense that wins championships. Same goes for global wars on terror. Defense keeps us safe, not unprovoked wars and years of offensive struggle with a spineless enemy.

Look everyone, just give up. Just close your eyes for the next year or so, and eventually this war and this president will go away and bad policy will be a thing of the past. It wont upset you watching the news anymore. If Al-quada somehow finds the money to fund another large US attack, well maybe we will be ready for them this time, all you need is really tight boarders. Why stay on the offense? Since when did offense win championships? Its defense that wins championships. Same goes for global wars on terror. Defense keeps us safe, not unprovoked wars and years of offensive struggle with a spineless enemy.

I don’t follow your post very well. It is important for people to keep up with the news from time to time and to stay informed. It takes offence and defense to win a championship. The defense is needed to try to keep opponents from making points. The offence is needed in order to make points. Preemptive wars, though ethically questionable, can be won - particularly if they are against specific nations. I’m not sure what “spineless” enemy you are talking about. If you are referring to Al-Qaeda, I don’t see how those who attach bombs to themselves and blow themselves up for their cause could be considered spineless. Please clarify your point. I don’t grasp sarcasm and hyperbole very well, if those are the writing styles that you are using.

im not going to hijack the thread. just being random.

not that I give the first rats ass about a sexual predator not wanting to wear pink in prison.

Forum List

Back