Your top four favorite bands/artists, 60s forward?

The Who
Led Zep
REM
XTC
The Clash

XTC?

I knew I liked you!!

I was lucky enough to see them before Andy Partridge developed stage fright. It was in San Francisco around the time of their black sea album. Everybody pogoed.

Huge XTC Fan. Drums and Wires, Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons, Nunsuch. Amazing songwriters.

For your listening pleasure. :)

Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Van Morrison
Cranberries
Frank Sinatra
Johnny Cash
Patsy Cline
Aretha Franklin
Fleetwood Mac
Benny Goodman

Last edited:
Cream
Zep
Jeff Beck
Robin Trower
Nice picks! I like pretty much everything Cream, Jeff Beck and Zep released. I don't know a lot of Robin Trower's music, but I have the remastered CD edition of Bridge of Sighs, with extra tracks. I like that one quite a bit. I also like Trower's playing with Procol Harum.

I grew up somewhat sheltered by location and my father's dislike for rock n roll. He was an orchestra leader for string and swing bands. Unless it was top 40 I knew nothing about rock n roll until after my 15th birthday, 1977.

Pink Floyd: First Floyd tune I heard was On The Run. I hated it, so we swapped albums. Truth is I'm still not a fan. Turns out the album was another masterpiece. Second time was the tune Comfortably Numb, 1979, and I couldn't believe my ears. First I heard the Wall album was my first LSD trip as well, bummer I lost my keys for 3-4 hours. If I'm stuck on a desert Island give me Floyd with Waters. The albums following The Wall pretty well suck IMO. Waters produced better music solo.

Led Zeppelin: Dark, masterful. Every song is great for 5-6 straight albums. Someone made a deal with the devil, and I'm pretty sure that was Jimmy Page (JK, (maybe)). I think they peaked with Houses of the Holy, then came the decline. They were just too high.

Jimmy Hendrix: I don't know, maybe he's the guy who dealt with the devil. There must be an explanation for that kind of talent. Seems he's a 1000 year guy, or so.

Gordon Lightfoot: Folk is some of the best music out there, and Lightfoot was nothing short of pure talent. He wrote my favorite song too, it helps.

Honorable mention Rolling Stones. Older I get the more I appreciate em. As Rock/Blues goes, Stones are on Mt. Rushmore with the Beatles, Floyd and Zep.

The Who
Floyd
Fleetwood Mac
Traffic

The Who
Floyd
Fleetwood Mac
Traffic

Good eye. I couldn't list just four and forgot to list Traffic and Lightfoot, both of which would most definitely be among my very favorites. Bob Dylan is another I overlooked.

:26:
giphy.gif

Beatles, Zeppelin, The Guess Who, Rascals, Dylan, Beach Boys, Al Jarreau, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, Huey Lewis and the News, Springsteen, Joe Jackson, Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms, Fiona Apple, Anita Baker, Danny Wilson and Ricki Lee Jones.

Steely Dan
Heart
The Doobie Brothers
The Allman Brothers
Little Feat
Eric Clapton
The Band
Bob Dylan
The Grateful Dead
Lynyrd Skynyrd

The list goes on and on...
I love that silly quirky song from Little Feat: Representing the Mambo. It's stupid but I can't look away! LOL

Hmmmm... four bands?

Can't do it. I'll do a top 10, instead.

In no particular order:

• Foo Fighters
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Pink Floyd
  • Crosby, Stills & Nash
  • Rolling Stones
  • Molly Hatchet (I'm partial, though. Banner Thomas was a dear friend of mine)
  • The Allman Brothers
  • Steely Dan
  • Styx (with and without Dennis DeYoung)
  • The Eagles

Forum List

Back