Your thoughts on this quote?

It isn't about what I think somebody else means when they say 'fittest' it is about what they think the term means. Too often the fittest has been used to describe the strongest, the toughest, the smartest, the fill in the blank.

I have an idea you are lost here, so I'll throw you a lifeline...

The fittest in any given scenario and with any definition might just not be the most able to adapt.

Funny thing, evolution doesn't select for the strongest, the smartest, or even the most able to adapt. It selects for the average.

Actually, it selects for the most successful- the most fit.

No it does not.

Survival Of The Weakest? Cyclical Competition Of Three Species Favors Weakest As Victor

Funny thing about real science, it destroys all the assumptions eventually. If you actually read anything that had to do with real science you would know that.

It isn't about what I think somebody else means when they say 'fittest' it is about what they think the term means. Too often the fittest has been used to describe the strongest, the toughest, the smartest, the fill in the blank.

I have an idea you are lost here, so I'll throw you a lifeline...

The fittest in any given scenario and with any definition might just not be the most able to adapt.

Funny thing, evolution doesn't select for the strongest, the smartest, or even the most able to adapt. It selects for the average.

gawd, your an ignoramus.

Evolution does not select for average, it selects for the critters best able to survive in that particular environment. Polar bears are great in Alaska. In Kenya, not so good. Cheetahs are great in Kenya however. But not so great in Alaska. the environment opens up lots of really cool nieces, and there is an animal who will adapt to that niche. Of course, the environment changes really fast sometimes too. We get ice ages and warm periods changing back and forth pretty frequently. Sea levels change, we get new mountains, old ones wear away, the continents move around. Some critters are good fits because they are so adaptive. One particular species of great ape that mostly lived along lakes and rivers in east africa has gone from a small population in africa to colonize the whole world in 6000 years and is now numbered in the billions. Mostly because it is so adaptive.

Biology's idea of "fittest" is not our idea of "fittest"

And humanity is the only animal to survive and thrive in every environment. Just one more reason to claim 'hope' for our species.

If we can keep from blowing ourselves all to hell...

Even if a few nukes are detonated - I give us a 50/50 shot, but I'm a lovable optimist.

No it does not.

Really? Evolution selects for those organisms which don't reproduce before dying? :cuckoo:

Whatever species/mutation/population manages to survive is the most successful by definition, moron.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back